Certified Legendary Thread 1116 SEN 2024 line up

Remove this Banner Ad

I occasionally switch on but 90% of it is always AFL/AFLW. Saw 1 minute of an AFLW game somewhere in QLD (Cairns?). Zero crowd but gets massive coverage?
aflw is an interesting situation. they have to promote it, but when key personnel in garry and watson effectively never mention it, and when it comes up garry will proclaim he's not across it/not an expert, it leaves you wondering wtf is going on. Do they and others at the station genuinely care about the W?

aflw is an interesting situation. they have to promote it, but when key personnel in garry and watson effectively never mention it, and when it comes up garry will proclaim he's not across it/not an expert, it leaves you wondering wtf is going on. Do they and others at the station genuinely care about the W?
Do they need to care about it? They've discussed how they don't watch it, and that it's okay to not like the product. Don't think they need to say much more

Do they need to care about it? They've discussed how they don't watch it, and that it's okay to not like the product. Don't think they need to say much more

What an absolute cop out. In what other walk of media is it acceptable for paid experts to say "I'm not across this core element of the one thing I'm supposed to be an expert in"? That's a joke, if they don't watch it they don't deserve jobs in AFL media.

Yeah, it's ok to not like the product - but you're being paid to discuss it. Men's footy has been unwatchable at various points over the last 20 years, we never let anyone get away with saying "I don't watch it, I'm not an expert in it."

Can you imagine Peter Hitchner just ignoring the Israel/Palestine(/Lebanon) war? "I don't like it, I don't watch it, I don't care about it."

He'd rightly lose his job.

What an absolute cop out. In what other walk of media is it acceptable for paid experts to say "I'm not across this core element of the one thing I'm supposed to be an expert in"? That's a joke, if they don't watch it they don't deserve jobs in AFL media.

Yeah, it's ok to not like the product - but you're being paid to discuss it. Men's footy has been unwatchable at various points over the last 20 years, we never let anyone get away with saying "I don't watch it, I'm not an expert in it."

Can you imagine Peter Hitchner just ignoring the Israel/Palestine(/Lebanon) war? "I don't like it, I don't watch it, I don't care about it."

He'd rightly lose his job.
They aren't being paid to watch AFLW, they'd being paid to talk about the AFL and the footy landscape.

AFLW is better suited to have people who are interested in it, talking about it. Pretending like everyone needs to watch it because it has the AFL branding on it - is very weird.

They aren't being paid to watch AFLW, they'd being paid to talk about the AFL and the footy landscape.

AFLW is better suited to have people who are interested in it, talking about it. Pretending like everyone needs to watch it because it has the AFL branding on it - is very weird.

Whether you like it or not, it's a professional, top level sport that deserves to be talked about at the height of its season. It is a major part of "the footy landscape" as you call it.

Pretending the sport doesn't matter because it's a women's league is much weirder.

Whether you like it or not, it's a professional, top level sport that deserves to be talked about at the height of its season. It is a major part of "the footy landscape" as you call it.

Pretending the sport doesn't matter because it's a women's league is much weirder.
Not all professional sports get discussed, and it's top level perhaps for what it is, but lets not kid ourselves about where that level is. There are local leagues with a significantly higher standard of football, and there's no expectation of the media to look at that.

I really respected the fact that they went out on a bit of a limb and actually were brave enough to state this the other week. It's pretty cringeworthy when others clearly don't give a shit about it but pretend they do because they don't want to offend anyone.

Let's face it, they're there to talk footy - AFL. They don't know much about other sports and they don't really have to. The idea of the show is two pretty high end former footy players talking about footy and then whatever else they really want to. Comparing these guys to a news presenter is a bit stupid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread 1116 SEN 2024 line up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back