120th greatest rivalry in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

I would think Freo and Port would need to feature. So play that one in Adelaide and you have a match that's pretty hard to beat.

Although a strong case could be made for North vs Freo OR North vs Port. When not even your own supporters care about a match it's hard to make a case for it's relevance to the competition.

I know this is Bay 13, but let's think about this rationally.

It couldn't be involving any combination of two Victorian teams, or ex-Victorian teams. So it would have to involve one of the South Australian or Western Australian teams.

I also think they would have had to not played a final against each other.

Adelaide have played finals against Brisbane, Collingwood, Essendon, Fremantle, Geelong, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, St Kilda, Sydney, West Coast and the Western Bulldogs.

Fremantle have played finals against Adelaide, Essendon, Melbourne and Sydney.

Port Adelaide have played finals against Adelaide, Brisbane, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, St Kilda & Sydney.

West Coast have played finals against Adelaide, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Sydney & Western Bulldogs.

That leaves us with Adel v Carl, Adel v Rich, Frem v Bris, Frem v Carl, Frem v Coll, Frem v Geel, Frem v Haw, Frem v NM, Frem v PA, Frem v Rich, Frem v StK, Frem v WB, PA v Carl, PA v Melb, PA v Rich, PA v WCE, PA v WB, WCE v Bris, WCE v Rich, WCE v StK.

Rule out Frem v StK (Sirengate, Whispers in the Sky), Probably any of the matches involving Carlton or Collingwood, PA v WB (Darwin), Frem v Geel (Solomon on Ling), and WCE v StK (they play for a cup).

So we're down to Adel v Rich, Frem v Bris, Frem v Haw, Frem v NM, Frem v PA, Frem v Rich, Frem v WB, PA v Melb, PA v Rich, PA v WCE, WCE v Bris & WCE v Rich.

West Coast played their first ever match against Richmond, and the whole Cousins thing is there, so rule that out. WCE and Brisbane have played some good games over the years, so put a line through that one as well. So we're down to ten.

And I can't really get it down further than that. The ten worst rivalries in the league are Adelaide v Richmond, Fremantle v Brisbane, Fremantle v Hawthorn, Fremantle v North Melbourne, Fremantle v Port Adelaide, Fremantle v Richmond, Fremantle v Western Bulldogs, Port Adelaide v Melbourne, Port Adelaide v Richmond & Port Adelaide v West Coast.

So with a 16 team competition there are 120 possible combinations of Team X vs Team Y.

If you were to list the rivalries from top to bottom you might have those such as Collingwood vs Carlton, Essendon vs Hawthorn, Port Adelaide vs Adelaide, West Coast vs Fremantle, Sydney vs West Coast, Geelong vs Hawthorn, etc amongst the top.

So the question I put to you Bay13ers is which is the least relevant matchup in the AFL. Which annual game draws absolutely no passion or interest from anybody and should ideally be scrapped from the AFL fixture?

For me it is without doubt Melbourne vs West Coast. Can't remember one memorable game between these two sides, no famous moments (besides some Jakovich family incest) and even the few finals they played were boring as batshit and foregone conclusions.

Says a lot about how irrelevant a matchup is when the most emotion it evokes is from a bunch of BF posters arguing about whether picking Watts or Naitanui ahead of Hurley was the bigger stuff up. :eek:

Discuss...

Port v Freo. Even our players don't bother to turn up...

Fremantle v Richmond

The two worst clubs of the last 15 years. They don't care about each other, nobody cares about them and the standard of footy is sure to be lamentable.

Fremantle vs Port Adelaide
Fremantle vs North Melbourne
Fremantle vs Western Bulldogs
Port Adelaide vs North Melbourne
Port Adelaide vs Western Bulldogs

least interest from other 14 teams supporters.....
St Kilda vs Sydney zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz etc.

So the greatest game between the sides was where they were both trying to avoid winning so that they wouldn't be on the end of the one of the all-time biggest grand final humiliations?

Thanks for proving my point. :thumbsu:

Actually apart from that 1988 final we played them again in 1990 and won our first ever final.... it was in the midst of the Chris Lewis/Todd Viney biting incident. The sides hated eachother.

West Coast V Melbourne was probably the first real rivalry in the National League. Not sure how you could say it wasn't :confused:

[YOUTUBE]TJREh_TSf5Y[/YOUTUBE]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle v Richmond

The two worst clubs of the last 15 years. They don't care about each other, nobody cares about them and the standard of footy is sure to be lamentable.

I'm sorry, what :eek:

The last 2 games between the 2 teams have been decided by a total of 11 points you fool. Both games pretty high standard if you ask me.

Back on topic though, we'll have to say Gold Coast vs West Sydney

I would say most games Port Adelaide plays. No idea why but just about every Port Adelaide game bores me to tears. Port Vs Melbourne would have to be the most boring.

Didn't watch Jurrah kick 4, set the match up and earn the Rising Star nom that week??

The birth of a superstar

...........and apart from that, correct. Very very boring rivalry

I don't know why so many people are listing North and Port. We've played a lot of finals and both sides have retired many a champion against the other side.

I can't even picture the Bulldogs playing a game against Sydney...

I'm sorry, what :eek:

The last 2 games between the 2 teams have been decided by a total of 11 points you fool. Both games pretty high standard if you ask me.

Back on topic though, we'll have to say Gold Coast vs West Sydney

A high standard through the eyes of a Dockers fan would equate to VFL standard for most other clubs though.

Back on topic, can't go past Freo v Port Adelaide.

There are some sides that it is just impossible to garner any interest for. Richmond is a team that I have always groaned when looking at the Friday night TV and seeing they are playing. The match is 80% sure to be a shocker.

Sydney have never interested me, except for games against West Coast. I understand the feeling people have with Port, you watch it on TV, there's noone there. Theire guernseys are an eye-sore. The whole spectacle is just laborious to watch.

Some match-ups that I would never watch

Sydney v Richmond
Port v Sydney
Port v Freo
Freo v Bulldogs
Brisbane v Freo
Adelaide v Freo
Port v Melbourne
Freo v Melbourne
Richmond v St Kilda
Port v Essendon

It couldn't be involving any combination of two Victorian teams, or ex-Victorian teams. So it would have to involve one of the South Australian or Western Australian teams.

Adelaide have played finals against Brisbane, Collingwood, Essendon, Fremantle, Geelong, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, St Kilda, Sydney, West Coast and the Western Bulldogs.

Port Adelaide have played finals against Adelaide, Brisbane, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, St Kilda & Sydney.

West Coast have played finals against Adelaide, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Sydney & Western Bulldogs.

That leaves us with Adel v Carl, Adel v Rich, Frem v Bris, Frem v Carl, Frem v Coll, Frem v Geel, Frem v Haw, Frem v NM, Frem v PA, Frem v Rich, Frem v StK, Frem v WB, PA v Carl, PA v Melb, PA v Rich, PA v WCE, PA v WB, WCE v Bris, WCE v Rich, WCE v StK.

Rule out Frem v StK (Sirengate, Whispers in the Sky), Probably any of the matches involving Carlton or Collingwood, PA v WB (Darwin), Frem v Geel (Solomon on Ling), and WCE v StK (they play for a cup).

So we're down to Adel v Rich, Frem v Bris, Frem v Haw, Frem v NM, Frem v PA, Frem v Rich, Frem v WB, PA v Melb, PA v Rich, PA v WCE, WCE v Bris & WCE v Rich.

West Coast played their first ever match against Richmond, and the whole Cousins thing is there, so rule that out. WCE and Brisbane have played some good games over the years, so put a line through that one as well. So we're down to ten.

And I can't really get it down further than that. The ten worst rivalries in the league are Adelaide v Richmond, Fremantle v Brisbane, Fremantle v Hawthorn, Fremantle v North Melbourne, Fremantle v Port Adelaide, Fremantle v Richmond, Fremantle v Western Bulldogs, Port Adelaide v Melbourne, Port Adelaide v Richmond & Port Adelaide v West Coast.

Yea I agree with this except Port have played a final against West Coast, so that could rule that game out.

Anyhow, everyone seems to think that rivalry means biggest crowd, and so, for example Port Adelaide V North Melbourne has been a popular option. However there is a pretty good rivalry with North Melbourne forming/formed over the years. North beat Port from 97-03 (? i think 03) on every occasion including a 99 final. Since then it's been more even, however Port have been defeating North in the more important games, eg. 2005 Elimination, 2007 Prelim and 2008 Round 22. On each of these occasions it has been pretty embarrassing for North. This year North beat Port by 5 points (Rnd 7) and 4 points (Rnd 22) with the Round 22 game involving the retirement of Peter Burgoyne and Brendan Lade. If Port had won these two, they would've made finals. So it's a little pay back. There have also been some close encounters and good games including the two close games this year, a 40 point come back in Canberra (North's Way) and a miss just before the siren from Warren Tredrea. There has also been controversy over the Warren Tredrea bow and Chad Cornes' goose step in the 2007 final.

A high standard through the eyes of a Dockers fan would equate to VFL standard for most other clubs though.

Back on topic, can't go past Freo v Port Adelaide.

Yeah, uh, no. Nice try though.

paid :thumbsu:

fwiw north v power sticks out, maybe power v Sydney...

good question though ;)

Both these combinations have played finals this decade. So no... take a bow though for the suggestions...

I would guess it's Adelaide vs Fremantle

Finals match played in 2006 so no...

Port vs Freo @ AAMI would have to draw the smallest possible crowd wouldnt it? Or Port vs Sydney @ AAMI?

Lets just say Port vs Anyone.

Definitely not Port v Sydney - big finals upset in 03.

Port v Freo - maybe...

for me...it's hard to make a case for Hawthorn vs Fremantle, Melbourne, or Eagles.

Otherwise there's something for pretty much every team, as manufactured and obtuse as it might be.

Gee... Hawks v Demons... 87 prelim, 88 GF, 90 EF, 96 merger...
Hawks v Eagles... their first home final, first GF...
Hawks v Fremantle... maybe

Melbourne V Sydney
Finals in 87. Capital cities thing, no.

based on meetings in finals, recent contests and players still at the clubs from the last time there was a rivalry...

118 - north melbourne v melbourne
119 - western bulldogs v sydney
120 - sydney v fremantle
Syd v Freo - finals
WB v Swans - Rocket Eade, Dogs were playing matches at SCG, finals...

Port v West Coast played a final.

Freo v Hawks have a trading history.

That leaves 8...
Adelaide v Richmond, Fremantle v Brisbane, Fremantle v North Melbourne, Fremantle v Port Adelaide, Fremantle v Richmond, Fremantle v Western Bulldogs, Port Adelaide v Melbourne, Port Adelaide v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

120th greatest rivalry in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back