Player Watch #13: Jack Higgins

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond football club has used social media to update fans on the wellbeing of young forward Jack Higgins, after it was revealed last night he was hospitalised having suffered a brain bleed.
The 20-year-old is understood to have experienced headaches following Richmond's VFL game against Werribee on Sunday and recent scans show he had bled from his brain.

"Jack Higgins continues to be treated in hospital for a brain bleed. He’s in good spirits and we will provide more accurate information when possible," Richmond posted on Twitter and Instagram on Wednesday morning.
"All our thoughts are with Jack, his family, and the whole team at this time."

Higgins, who was a revelation last year after being taken as a first-round draft pick, has endured mixed form this season, and was dropped following the round 13 loss to Adelaide.
He finished equal fourth in last year's Rising Star award.
The cause of the brain bleed is unknown. Richmond do not believe it was caused by a head knock sustained during the VFL match, with the forward not reporting any incidents from the game.

But player agent and concussion advocate Peter Jess said this is another example of "catastrophic diagnostic failure".

"This is simply unacceptable in this era of advanced screening technologies that the clubs and AFL refuse to adopt," Jess said.

hmmm...what with Peter Jess's strong language ?

Richmond football club has used social media to update fans on the wellbeing of young forward Jack Higgins, after it was revealed last night he was hospitalised having suffered a brain bleed.
The 20-year-old is understood to have experienced headaches following Richmond's VFL game against Werribee on Sunday and recent scans show he had bled from his brain.

"Jack Higgins continues to be treated in hospital for a brain bleed. He’s in good spirits and we will provide more accurate information when possible," Richmond posted on Twitter and Instagram on Wednesday morning.
"All our thoughts are with Jack, his family, and the whole team at this time."

Higgins, who was a revelation last year after being taken as a first-round draft pick, has endured mixed form this season, and was dropped following the round 13 loss to Adelaide.
He finished equal fourth in last year's Rising Star award.
The cause of the brain bleed is unknown. Richmond do not believe it was caused by a head knock sustained during the VFL match, with the forward not reporting any incidents from the game.

But player agent and concussion advocate Peter Jess said this is another example of "catastrophic diagnostic failure".

"This is simply unacceptable in this era of advanced screening technologies that the clubs and AFL refuse to adopt," Jess said.

hmmm...what with Peter Jess's strong language ?

Peter Jess should really not speculate so early, let the kid rest and get better before lighting a fire.

very strange i wonder if they are going back through the tapes trying to find a moment that could've triggered it. i guess it could've been any time even training or completely unrelated to footy, either way horrible news to hear

best of luck with recovery jiggins hope it all goes well

footy will still be here for you whenever you're right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

very strange i wonder if they are going back through the tapes trying to find a moment that could've triggered it. i guess it could've been any time even training or completely unrelated to footy, either way horrible news to hear

best of luck with recovery jiggins hope it all goes well

footy will still be here for you whenever you're right
Could've just been the conditions or poor form but I remember during the Adelaide game I was thinking geez Higgo's off tonight, he was fumbling every ball.

Can you have a slow brain bleed?
The result of less severe head injuries, this type of hematoma can cause slow bleeding, and symptoms can take weeks and even months to appear. You might not recall injuring your head.May 1, 2018
SO COULD HAVE HAPPENED MONTHS AGO,AND MORE THAN LIKLY EFFECTED HIS FOOTY.

Interesting theory - you wouldnt count it out at this stage anyway - also interested to see if anyone at the club noticed a change in behaviour.
The fast ones kill you. Hopefully they 1) have stopped it and 2) work out how it happened so they can understand it.

Apparently in good spirits and communicating with everyone.
I've never seen a player with a bigger grin than Higgo after booting a goal and his jokes are hilarious for all.
Hope his mind is ticking a 1000 minutes a second.
Get well champ.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #13: Jack Higgins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back