Retired 14. Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Really disappointed that the AFL are not offering any form of compensation draft pick for the loss of Jones.
The non vax rule has only recently been thrust onto AFL clubs who have no power or say in players being vaxxed.
Essentially the club is being punished for something that is totally out of their control and no fault of theirs.
I would have thought that a draft pick similar to when a club loses a player through free agency would have been fair, in this case probably a 2nd round pick.
I feel Carlton has every reason to be aggrieved and this is poor form from the AFL.

Really disappointed that the AFL are not offering any form of compensation draft pick for the loss of Jones.
The non vax rule has only recently been thrust onto AFL clubs who have no power or say in players being vaxxed.
Essentially the club is being punished for something that is totally out of their control and no fault of theirs.
I would have thought that a draft pick similar to when a club loses a player through free agency would have been fair, in this case probably a 2nd round pick.
I feel Carlton has every reason to be aggrieved and this is poor form from the AFL.

I agree - but can also understand the league not wanting to give us a draft pick when other clubs may be impacted by this after the draft.

Sitting around doing nothing - as in:
1. not going shopping (apart from essential food)
2. Not going to restaurants
3. Not going to pubs
4. Not going to cafes
5. not going to the movies
6. not going to sporting events
7. not going interstate/overseas

I wonder if his uni course is in the medical area
And not being able to do those few things is not important to many people and their lives won't be a disaster if they can't.

Its a pretty shallow existence to think those things are imperative and important to everybody.

Personally the threats of not being able to do those things is absolutely laughable.
They're really not that important.

Liam made a decision based on his own beliefs that are his buisness only.
Im sure he's aware of the career sacrifice he made, the things he can't do being non vaxxed (for now), and the income change etc.....
....but he did it anyway.

He owes nobody an explanation period!
Especially not to nameless, faceless members of a forum.

The expectation of that is just pure arrogance and an assumed entitlement.

All the best Jonesy.
Full respect to ya!

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

And not being able to do those few things is not important to many people and their lives won't be a disaster if they can't.

Its a pretty shallow existence to think those things are imperative and important to everybody.

Personally the threats of not being able to do those things is absolutely laughable.
They're really not that important.

Liam made a decision based on his own beliefs that are his buisness only.
Im sure he's aware of the career sacrifice he made, the things he can't do being non vaxxed (for now), and the income change etc.....
....but he did it anyway.

He owes nobody an explanation period!
Especially not to nameless, faceless members of a forum.

The expectation of that is just pure arrogance and an assumed entitlement.

All the best Jonesy.
Full respect to ya!

Not sure what point you are trying to make or what you think you are replying to, the guy was simply explaining what he originally meant...

Also the amount of bleating RE lockdowns certainly suggests those things matter to at least a few... lol

Not sure what point you are trying to make or what you think you are replying to, the guy was simply explaining what he originally meant...

Also the amount of bleating RE lockdowns certainly suggests those things matter to at least a few... lol
Err i wasn't talking to you
And i won't be, not that your response made any sense anyway

If this whole thing was as cut and dried as many here think why did our new, highly regarded, CEO go to the AFL to request a compensatory selection in either the ND, Rookie Draft or pre season draft?

Jeez, I even had people on here tell me that we would get an automatic last pick in the draft following the retirement. Where is that?
You always ask, you never know with the AFL.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I don't need to reply now

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It amazes me the amount of people on here who are oblivious to why he has done what be has done, which I personally wouldn't of done (I got double dacked for work).

A lot of teenagers on here.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

It amazes me the amount of people on here who are oblivious to why he has done what be has done, which I personally wouldn't of done (I got double dacked for work).

A lot of teenagers on here.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Do the reasons matter? Effectively we are a top 10 player short in a position we are thin. We can't use the list spot because the retirement came after list lodgement. The only positive is the cap space opened up.

Do the reasons matter? Effectively we are a top 10 player short in a position we are thin. We can't use the list spot because the retirement came after list lodgement. The only positive is the cap space opened up.

Exactly right, Liam did CFC no favors whatsoever , left us vulnerable in defense and not able to get any special consideration from AFL or prepare a proper secession plan.
I’m not going to demonize him, but I can’t applaud him either. Fortunately Liam’s the single top 10 player, nearing the end of his career at 31 yrs old, that’s about all that makes this episode palatable.

Liam chose to retire. Nobody forced him to do anything - there was a very clear pathway for him to continue his AFL career but he chose not to pursue that.

To suggest he was forced into anything is a fallacy and frankly completely absurd.

If there was no mandate he would be readying for pre season training, yes?

I think the problem with the posts replying to mine is the illusion of choice. If I put a gun to your head and said eat a sh*t sandwich or I'll pull the trigger, one may claim you ate it by choice, but that's not the full story. I changed the status quo and created a scenario where you had to "choose" something you would never have otherwise chosen had I not changed the status quo.

Yes, Jones made a choice, but he was forced to make that choice.

EDIT: And I know no one put a gun to Jones' head. If you can't separate processes from details or are seeking perfect analogies, don't bother replying. (not you guys, but other posters I've not quoted)
I get what you are saying, the verb choice is the issue. We are all changing how we act in the community, we are not being forced to but there are consequences that go with our choices. I can’t go into retirement homes without being vacced. I am so I can but, I could choose not to and operate differently in my business context. Liam chose not to be vacced, chose to retire and now needs to live with the consequences of his choice. Verb “choice”. He was positioned differently because of the context of rule and law but not forced.
Any compo we get is a bonus but, not deserved as it’s a retirement like any other.

Forgetting what anyone else has said on the matter, what has either Liam or his manager said about his retirement?

If there is a statement floating around, could you point it out for me? I haven't been able to find anything.
The only thing I read was that Liam wanted people to respect his decision and his privacy.

I think Brian Cook sums it up well.

“It would be wrong if I said I was comfortable, I’m not. Here is a guy with great talent, he’s been through football life the hard way and has really made a name for himself in the later stages of his career only to retire, I think, prematurely,” Cook said.

“But it’s his decision. I respect the fact that he had the right to make that decision.

“I, like a lot of other people, don’t feel comfortable with it, but acknowledge that he’s made that decision and it’s his life and we’ll just have to get on with ours and find a replacement.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired 14. Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Back