Player Watch #15 - Ed Langdon #PositiveLingers - in until 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds bad at first hey? Been durable though, and will only be 32 when the contract ends.

If they've worked it in a way where it works around Gus' concussion discount an allows us to go after some trade/FA talent this year then it might work out ok in the long run.
Time will tell but this has been the year of our long contracts coming home to roost and 30+ year olds rotting away at Casey

That being said I'll admit I have egg on my face re Tmac who is the exception

Huh? I'm sure I've seen them on opposite wings. Who plays opposite then?
Yeah, that's Windsor and that's why he's half the time having to kick on his opposite which isn't the point of having him.

Time will tell but this has been the year of our long contracts coming home to roost and 30+ year olds rotting away at Casey

That being said I'll admit I have egg on my face re Tmac who is the exception

The BBB one I can live with given the context of the trade in terms of what we paid for it and that he helped us get a flag. The Tomlinson one panned out poorly, but at the time we were desperate for wingers and had come off a terrible year and he was an unrestricted free agent. Had to attract him somehow.

I don't think it's fair to just look at the 4 years, there's more to it than that. There's the financials, how it's loaded, what else it allows us to do - Especially with Gus' contract setup. It could be that we got him cheaper per year with 4 than we would have with 3 and given his durability and age we thought it was worth it and worked it around other deals to free us up.

Just reckon the people automatically jumping on the 4 years are taking a too simplistic view.

The BBB one I can live with given the context of the trade in terms of what we paid for it and that he helped us get a flag. The Tomlinson one panned out poorly, but at the time we were desperate for wingers and had come off a terrible year and he was an unrestricted free agent. Had to attract him somehow.

I don't think it's fair to just look at the 4 years, there's more to it than that. There's the financials, how it's loaded, what else it allows us to do - Especially with Gus' contract setup. It could be that we got him cheaper per year with 4 than we would have with 3 and given his durability and age we thought it was worth it and worked it around other deals to free us up.

Just reckon the people automatically jumping on the 4 years are taking a too simplistic view.
Or have PTSD from all the other players contracted to after their 30's looking bad, forget about just the guys you named, Brayshaw's backfired, Olivers is looking terrible, Trac has health concerns, Viney has one more year to run and looking half the player he was, scared shitless we re-sign him before the end of next year when its up. Everyone in the midfield apart from Windsor could pretty much be done at any moments notice.

Would prefer us just to give Langdon more over a 2 year deal but we have silly dreams of loading up for another flag push so youre right, they are extending him out to give us more money to play with this offseason.

Yeah four years is weird for Langdon. I reckon he has been pretty good this year but we just love giving out lengthy deals. Just look at the long term contracts we've signed guys to in the last five years:

Harmes - five year extension end of 2019. Fail
Salem - five year deal in 2021. Fail
Petracca - seven year extension in 2021. If he comes back from injury OK it'll be a pass
Oliver - looking like a big fail
Brayshaw - obvious fail
Brown - I'm probably a bit softer on this one than most, it was a year too long but I'm also not sure if we win the flag in 2021 without him

Koz and Riv extensions were fine at the time as they project to be very good players and we signed them at a young age. JVR and Windsor are signed to shorter deals as they're probably looking to back themselves in over the next few years and drive their own price up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #15 - Ed Langdon #PositiveLingers - in until 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Back