Delisted 15. Matthew Hayball (2016-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Know nothing about him but his U18 stats are impressive.

21 disposals, 14 marks (4 contested), 4 goals, 2 behinds.
21 disposals, 12 marks (6 contested), 4 goals straight.
Sounds like a midfielder that can go forward. This is the future with the interchange cap, expect the midfielders to rotate more down forward or down back... Flexibility to play different positions, speed and endurance are becoming more advantageous in this game.

The kid's got some tricks - makes it look easy!

And kicks left foot.

Left footers and mobile talls. A bit Hawthornesque.

He is. He was a boarder.
Yay!!! He'll be a gun! No doubt about it! Sacred Heart seems to have the magic formula!

How many former Sacred Heart pupils do we have at Geelong?

Does anyone know which Catholic Order runs Sacred Heart in SA + St Joseph's in Geelong? Just wondering if they're the same order?

In Sydney, St Joseph's is run by the Marist Brothers + it's a GPS school, which is huge on sport!

Must admit to being pretty pleased with myself :D lol + yeah, everyone knows I'm a silly, crazy cat lady! :rolleyes:

Bwwwwrrruuce is going to love this - does he give Sacred Heart a plug on Friday night games
Bwwwwuuce will be ecstatic! Move over Thywil!!! lol

Oh no a Sacred Heart lad...
Can just hear Bruce in 2-3 years when he plays seniors "The kid from Sacred Heart, Andrew Mackie's school!"
Let's hope he does a Gregson + goes straight to the seniors! Can't wait for Bwuce to get going! LOL

Yay!!! He'll be a gun! No doubt about it! Sacred Heart seems to have the magic formula!

Does anyone know which Catholic Order runs Sacred Heart in SA + St Joseph's in Geelong? Just wondering if they're the same order?

In Sydney, St Joseph's is run by the Marist Brothers + it's a GPS school, which is huge on sport!

Must admit to being pretty pleased with myself :D lol + yeah, everyone knows I'm a silly, crazy cat lady! :rolleyes:

At the Cats we have Gregson, Mackie and now Hayball. Rivers was also from Sacred Heart.

They are Marist too.

For the sake of it, SHC players currently on AFL lists that I know of:
Gregson, Mackie, Hayball, Hartlett, Pavlich, Jack Redden, Ben Kennedy, Neal-Bullen, Ryan Burton. I'm sure there's more I'm missing too.

Howdy guys. I provided some info on Gregson last year. Matty Hayball is another Sacred Heart lad who moved from Roxby Downs (mining town 600km North of Adelaide) to Board at SH in Year 11 and Year 12. Played 1st 18 with the likes of Gregson and Burton in 2013 and 2014 and had an outstanding season in his Year 12 year. Tallish wingman with a beautiful left foot kick and took some of the biggest hangers I've seen for a kid his age. Was still an U18 player in 2015 even though he had finished school and had a good year in the West Adelade U18 without being spectacular. I think he may have been in the initial squad of around 60 for the SA U18s but didn't make the team. Probably a project player but has some special attributes that many of those higher rated SA lads who got overlooked e.g. Snelling and Haysman don't have. Give him a season in the VFL to develop his game against bigger bodies and it wouldn't surprise me to see him become a very handy AFL player. He is good mates with Gregson so that will help him settle in and no issue with homesickness because he has lived away from home for most of the last 3 years.

from.. Nov27 2014 about Gregson....
The kid can play guys. Had a fractured navicular in 2013 which cost him U18 selection for SA last year and missed a lot of the season. Was selected to play SANFL at 17 late last year but was required by Sacred Heart College. Was still having some minor issues with his foot this year hence why he was rested for game 2 of the State U18 series and was never 100% for the U18 carnival. Still played some very useful SANFL in 2014. He put on a clinic in the annual Sacred Heart vs Assumption College game in August and I suspect Geelong had a scout at the game. In my opinion he would have been top 20 if he didn't go under the radar because of the injury. I've seen this lad do some things on a footy field that almost defy belief.

Well good sir...I think the runs are on the board..Im not sure you would have or anyone would have predicted his quick escalation into best22. But so far you have a 100% record. Lets hope you can get 2 out of 2.

As good as our network is , i do wonder somethime if the players are asked if there is anyone they have played with that we should check out. How tall is tallish? How quick? Did he do a combine at all?

Would you like to compare him to anyone? Cause the way Im sort of reading this we are talking a player we have not had for a while.

Certainly if you are spot on a high leaping left foot HHF type..he may be a real wonder pick. If Geelong get 2 players this year that become afl level , Wells reputation will only be enhanced to an amazing level.

Can you imagine how apoplectic the AFC board will go if our #70 goes alright and their #17 does not…..

Oh the melts..

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marist

Dont...please...just dont... :(
There post thread by cleric that made me think that this Geelong kid will have his fair share of doubters.

Well I hope he shoves that doubt right up their city of churches….

EDIT - you weren't kidding TC - they just ripped those healing PFD band aids right off and open those wounds again….

Go Catters

Last edited:
At the Cats we have Gregson, Mackie and now Hayball. Rivers was also from Sacred Heart.

They are Marist too.

For the sake of it, SHC players currently on AFL lists that I know of:
Gregson, Mackie, Hayball, Hartlett, Pavlich, Jack Redden, Ben Kennedy, Neal-Bullen, Ryan Burton. I'm sure there's more I'm missing too.
Thanks GHS! I had an inkling SHC were Marist. The Marist Brothers love their sport, don't they? I'm sure my uncle was only accepted as a Marist Brother because he played first grade Cricket for Waverley ;)

Former Sacred Heart pupils -
image.jpg

Also a good point that Down the Hill made -
"He is good mates with Gregson so that will help him settle in and no issue with homesickness because he has lived away from home for most of the last 3 years."
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...ng-football-club.1118024/page-3#post-42101139

Great interview, thanks GHS33 :thumbsu: :rainbow:

What a terrific guy! Speaks very well, like his confidence, yet he's not arrogant. Also, love how excited he is! Especially his phone call from Joel Selwood! :hearts: + saying that he can't believe he'll be playing with guys he's idolised for years!

Looks like he + the other three will be at KP on Friday.

What a sweetie! His excited giggles are infectious! :hearts:

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted 15. Matthew Hayball (2016-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back