Player Watch #16: Shaun Hampson

Remove this Banner Ad

In DH presser yesterday he basically stated they were after Nakkers ,yet the year Hampson arrived for our pick 32 Nakkers went for pick 35.:oops::'( Either DH is telling porkies or not on the ball.
He basically hung Hampson out to dry. :eek:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_AFL_draft

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/2ca02909699b4aea2d94dc4e974b0a5e
We wanted him with the next pick (Gordon).

Sydney swooped first.

Bit of a balls up but Sydney are elite at developing rucks. Us not so much. Probably worked out alright in the end

Give Hammer a couple of weeks in the VFL and see what he can do. Then maybe bring into the firsts, if it is obvious we need the tap ruck support.

Wonder about the real state of his back.

Just looks like an upgrade on Soldo, a far superior tap-ruckman and slightly more serviceable around the ground (who isn't). Having said that would much rather Griffiths + Hampson/Nank so we aren't fielding two big blokes who aren't contributing much outside of ruck contests as Nank's output has fallen significantly in the last several weeks

1 more week in the VFL for Hampson IMO. Bring him in vs St Kilda.

He'll play if he doesn't break down and they'll rush him in to the main side for finals in place of Soldo. As much I don't rate Hammer, its actually the right thing to do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In an ideal world, we win this week and swans, port lose, meaning we can't miss top 4. Then play Hammer against saints with Nank as 2nd ruck. Play 50%each in ruck only.
I don't know if VFL play finals during the AFL bye round but would be great to get 2- 3 games into Hammer and Griff giving us options leading into 1st final. We can't go with Soldo - so far off it right now.

I'd be amazed if we took the risk with Griff or Hammer in a final. Unless Nank goes down.
Playing the extra running player could be the difference, while playing an underdone Griff or Hammer will most likely result in us being one player down when they break down in the 1st quarter.
3 weeks for Hammer to get back to something like he did last year. Not an easy thing to do for a big man with a bad back.

The video the club showed of his return was big on very high quality tap work, and a couple of decent possessions. He'd be OK if he was match fit. But no more than OK.

And he might take away some of our strength in run and carry, and pressure. On the other hand if Nank is running fumes Hammer might be worth the go to keep Nank on the field. Just stay fit young Nankervis.

The video the club showed of his return was big on very high quality tap work, and a couple of decent possessions. He'd be OK if he was match fit. But no more than OK.

And he might take away some of our strength in run and carry, and pressure. On the other hand if Nank is running fumes Hammer might be worth the go to keep Nank on the field. Just stay fit young Nankervis.

If you call a screwy drop punt that travelled eight metres a decent possession, yes!

If you call a screwy drop punt that travelled eight metres a decent possession, yes!

C'mon Goldy. You know you love the Hammer! :p

He did a couple of nice link up handballs, a dodgy looking short pass that ended up being cm perfect lace out (deliberately or not I don't know).

What he adds is a damn good tap ruck, and the ability to have some around the ground influence. Nankervis is a worse tap ruck, but significantly better around the ground - like chalk and cheese better. Given the state of our talls Hammer is a useful break glass in case of emergency option. I don't reckon you'll find anyone saying he should be rushed in because he is so fantastic. Don't let your prejudice get in the way of recognizing that we have a weak ruck set up with Nankervis. We deal with what we have, not with what we would like to have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back