Retired #17: Adam Cooney - Announces retirement and has cleaned out locker

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel bad that he will miss Anzac Day. The type of player who deserves to play in such a massive game. Plus, ya know, he'd be pretty handy also.

I feel bad that he will miss Anzac Day. The type of player who deserves to play in such a massive game. Plus, ya know, he'd be pretty handy also.

Gets an opportunity next year, hopefully.

I'm wondering if it's going to be surreal watching the Hawthorn game years from now and seeing him, Chapman and Goddard in the same side.

Gets an opportunity next year, hopefully.

I'm wondering if it's going to be surreal watching the Hawthorn game years from now and seeing him, Chapman and Goddard in the same side.

After the quarter time or half time siren there was a shot of Watson, Cooney Goddard and Chapman in a ground of players discussing something about the final passages of play before walking from the ground. It really hit home just how important having these guys around is.

Made me realise that part of any 'rebuild' really should include chasing the services of some high quality veteran leaders (especially if you don't have your own).

Had a good game, but had some seriously basic errors. Went at 47% with 5 clangers. Could've easily kicked 5 goals and had 5 GA.

Had a good game, but had some seriously basic errors. Went at 47% with 5 clangers. Could've easily kicked 5 goals and had 5 GA.
I was about to bring this up, he was good, but nothing to write home about. For a footballer at his level, this doesnt really cut the mustard. That being said, I think the whole team, was like this until half time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cooney at his best is exactly what we need.
Two 3 goal games already this year. Should've had 4 if he kicked the bizarre Carlisle goal.
We look so much better with his quick and clever decision making.

Sure he made some basic errors, but nothing some game time won't fix

The thing about Cooney is he is the icing on the cake player, when the team is playing well he is the finisher up forward and the really good decision maker and user of the ball we need, when the team is playing poorly he looks really ordinary.

still reckon hisbest position is an inside midfielder.

Agree.

It's hard to work out how limited he is by his knee though. We hear it doesn't cause him to miss games any more, and he looks to still have quite a bit of zip, but there is seemingly no other explanation for him to have gone from an absolute weapon of a player to an inconsistent cameo player.

I haven't seen the Cats game, but I feel like his disposal has been top notch for the most part. It does not seem like he has a particularly penetrating kick or anything (though that's just my opinion) but what he does have is smarts and experience. Knows where to send the footy.

It's disappointing that the team does not appear to be at the level many of us thought it would be, so it has perhaps changed some perspectives on the older players we've brought in, but for some reason I find it hard not to be happy we have Cooney. I don't think it will be a decision we regret, though I have no real rationale for that call.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #17: Adam Cooney - Announces retirement and has cleaned out locker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back