Retired #17: Adam Cooney - Announces retirement and has cleaned out locker

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank god.

Seriously, if you're not going to show any respect for the bloke or for his accomplishments in the game, why even bother coming in here? Completely disrespectful.

Absolutely terrific career, genuinely likeable person and it's just unfortunate that injuries cut him down during his prime. Thanks for all you've done for us over the past couple of years, Adam. It's been great seeing you run around in our jumper, particularly this year when we needed the leadership and experience more than any other. Play a blinder and let's get the win!

Thank god.
Bugger off. The man has worn the red and black jumper through the most difficult period in our clubs history, and deserves our respect.

When you're an Essendon fan, you support ALL Essendon players.

Adam Cooney is no exception. Straighten up and stop being a petulant child about this.

Congrats on 250, I'm glad we are a club that tries to get players to these milestones where possible.

And such a good way to go out against your old team where their supporters can say goodbye also.

Great footballer in his prime the Ol' Coondog. Had some incredible skills.

One of the players you'd go to the game to watch, even if the team wasn't going so well.

I'm amazed - and rapt - that he's got up to 250 games. The patella injury, suffered during the 2008 finals, would probably have shortened the careers of most other blokes.

Many commentators thought he was being booed when playing the Dogs last year, but it was just us calling out, "Cooooonnsss", like we did when he was a Bulldog :)

Lot of love for the bloke at Whitten Oval, he's a life member of the club whom I know is welcome back any time.

Would not begrudge him one last BOG (in a losing side :p), for sure.

officially french fried
He's gonna be scrambling to find a new avatar now...
I was thinking a half empty glass might suit but maybe a glass with no bottom might be more appropriate..
Anyone who gets to wear our jumper deserves our support and respect...
Big footy needs a dislike button sometimes...Why is that not an option..

EDIT..just found this little bit of Gold from the Gold coast match thread..Seems he will fall on his own rusty sword after all...

frenchfri12 said:
When Cooney puts his cue in the rack I'll do the same.

Last edited:
Look mate I don't think anyone would argue he's been a star pick up and to be blunt if not for the 12 I don't think he'd have had many chances this year so not sure you should feel guilt as you aren't the only one to think it.

But he's done the best he can and for me that's all you can ask. I could see first hand Sunday the mind and body don't move at the same speed anymore.

Which is a shame but father time gets everyone eventually, especially with injuries liks his.

Not exactly going to be going to confession over it.

ok just quickly
it was not.
we were suppose to be pushing for a top 4 spot and lacked speed and midfield depth. It would have been a smart pick up if we kept it together. If the coaches knew we would drop off completely, we obviously wouldnt have gotten him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's gonna be scrambling to find a new avatar now...
I was thinking a half empty glass might suit but maybe a glass with no bottom might be more appropriate..
Anyone who gets to wear our jumper deserves our support and respect...
Big footy needs a dislike button sometimes...Why is that not an option..

EDIT..just found this little bit of Gold from the Gold coast match thread..Seems he will fall on his own rusty sword after all...

frenchfri12 said:
When Cooney puts his cue in the rack I'll do the same.

My money is on him switching to someone else.

After some long thought I have decided it is likely either to be Bird or Dempsey...

2 hours ago, and I only just saw it... :|
Not playing this week, interested to hear him say last week he hoped he could play because it would trigger a bonus...Club says No Bonus for you...

At least we didn't treat him like some Boomer like Norf..

1 big big thank you to the Burger Ring King for 2 years of being a Bomber.

The only characterful Bulldog to debut from 2002-06 and the only Bulldog from that period I wanted.

Cooney, thank you for #DonningTheSash.

Now go out ruck Dean Cox in a suburban league and beat him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back