Player Watch #18: Alex Rance

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like to note Rance got a couple of accolades at the AFLPA's awards night.

Most Valuable Player - Leigh Matthews Trophy
1. Nat Fyfe (Frem) – 1455
2. Todd Goldstein (NM)– 578
3. Patrick Dangerfield (Adel) – 364
4. Matt Priddis (WC)– 269
5. Josh Kennedy (WC) – 191
6. Dan Hannebery (Syd) – 162
7. Sam Mitchell (Haw) – 116
8. Alex Rance (Rich) – 100
9. Robbie Gray (PA) – 90
10. Eddie Betts (Adel) – 86

Most Courageous - Robert Rose Award
1. Luke Parker (Syd) – 238
2. Callan Ward (GWS) – 123
3. Joel Selwood (Geel) – 83
4. Luke Hodge (Haw) – 78
5. Alex Rance (Rich) – 43

Well done Alex, he's become an absolute lynchpin for the club.

He was a lock. Well done to him though, best defender in the comp
Raises the question about the validity of the Brownlow voting system. 8 votes for a player who was best on ground 10 times, beat his direct opponent 19 times out of 22, ultra consistent, generalled a defence that was one of the best in the league, great decision making and distribution all for a lousy 8 points. The system is wrong.

Most Courageous - Robert Rose Award
1. Luke Parker (Syd) – 238
2. Callan Ward (GWS) – 123
3. Joel Selwood (Geel) – 83
4. Luke Hodge (Haw) – 78
5. Alex Rance (Rich) – 43

Well done Alex, he's become an absolute lynchpin for the club.

Callan Ward 2nd most courageous player in the league? Surely must be a joke.

Just watched the Video of Rance on the RFC site. All I can say is quality, quality, quality person. Focused , sincere, genuine, leader outstanding. Also clearly has a personal direction but cares deeply for those around him. That is what is required for success, he is one of those absolutely essential players that is the glue that binds the group.... Well done Alex! Go Tiges!!!

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2015-11-04/rance-season-review-2015

Can I propose something?
I think that Alex Rance is probably THE BEST player in the AFL. I think this for the following reasons:
1. I consider him to be the best defender in the league by a long way. Which then makes him the no 1 player for his position.
2. I also consider him to be our most valuable player because he can play a zone defense so well that he almost is worth 2-3 defenders.
3. I can not think of any other players (Ablett and Fyfe included) who are the undisputed best player for their position.
4. I can not think of any other players who would be so hard to replace - midfielders can be replaced much more easily than a Key position player like Rance. And the forward output from key forwards can be replaced moderately well by medium and small sized forwards as well as midfielders who kick goals.
5. He is more valuable than a Key Forward because he probably prevents over 5 goals a game from an opposition forward line every week. As opposed to a key forward who would struggle to maintain an average of 5 goals per game.

I apologise if this is poorly written but I hope my reasoning make sense. Rance is the best player for his position, near impossible to replace, super valuable & immensely important to our team's structure and prevents more goals than even a gun forward can kick. For all these reasons I think he is The Best player in the AFL right now.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that Alex Rance is probably THE BEST player in the AFL. I think this for the following reasons:
Rance is the best player in the league for his position compared to the next best player for that position

Rance is the best player in the league for his position compared to the next best player for that position
I agree with you.
If, and I may be wrong, that you are saying my list of reasons that I gave for why I think Alex Rance is the best in the AFL could be said more concisely I would say that I did also list other reasons than just him being the best player for his position. But if you weren't saying that then just ignore the last few lines.
Either way all that matters is that Alex Rance is a great player and is wearing the Yellow and Black for years to come!

I certainly agree with this. While you could make a case he is the best player in the league, if you have a draft where you could pick any player in the league, would he go at #1? Probably not.
I honestly think it would be logical to pick Alex Rance as no.1 in a Fantasy draft. It's a lot harder to get a quality key back than it is to get a quality mid or key forward. And it is hard for me to say that because I love midfielders so much.

I agree with you.
If, and I may be wrong, that you are saying my list of reasons that I gave for why I think Alex Rance is the best in the AFL could be said more concisely I would say that I did also list other reasons than just him being the best player for his position. But if you weren't saying that then just ignore the last few lines.
Either way all that matters is that Alex Rance is a great player and is wearing the Yellow and Black for years to come!
Was a good post, don't mind. I was being succinct for myself, not to correct you or anything :)

I honestly think it would be logical to pick Alex Rance as no.1 in a Fantasy draft. It's a lot harder to get a quality key back than it is to get a quality mid or key forward. And it is hard for me to say that because I love midfielders so much.
AA is the perfect example of this. Rance was easily one of the first players locked in

Was a good post, don't mind. I was being succinct for myself, not to correct you or anything :)
Thank you for your compliment on my post. By the way I don't mind being corrected (not that you were doing so). I'm far from perfect. And I love to hear others ideas. I hope I didn't come across as overly defensive in my last post. If I did I apologise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #18: Alex Rance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back