Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

1983 Johnathan Sings Johnathan Richmond And The Modern Lovers
USA Released 1983 Sire Records
4th Studio Album.

download.jpg

Playing That Summer Feeling 1983 on Sounds:

Listed as 'alt rock and roll'(?)
I have no real idea how this broke in Australia but it did, 'That Summer Feeling' was everywhere.
He was out here promoting it in 1983 as evident by this interview with Donnie Sutherland, John Cale was on the couch too.
Presumably he toured at the same time.
I know he toured in Australia a bit later, because I remember catching a show at the Continetal in Prahran maybe early 90's.
I knew so many people that had this album back then but it was definitely niche.
The first time I managed to see him, was when he played in Central Park New York in July 1988, in the free concerts in the park series that they had running that year. We rocked up as did a fare few New Yorkers at 2pm on a sunny Saturday afternoon.The set up was a basic big stage all of us sitting on the grass, no fences, no chairs totally casual. He gets up on the stage just him and guitar and launched into 'that Summer Feeling' fantastic vibe, then someone takes a photo and he stops dead in his tracks......and he goes all full on agressive NooYawker 'I told you no photos' and starts abusing the shit out of the photographer and the organisers and doesn't move until they both bugger off. The he casually walks back to the mike and picks it up where he left off. He explained a little later on that he only agreed to do it if there was absolutely no promotion. There was no promotion only a plain type listing in the paper which we had spotted that morning in the Times. Fantastic concert, one of the best I've seen. Yeah Jonathan was a one of a kind back then, there are no official music clips so the guy obviously thought that too much promotion was a drag.
I love the track Neighbours....best song about gossip since Harper Valley PTA.

Interview (in part)of Johnathan Richmond on Sounds with John Cale.

Last edited:

Interesting about Jonathan Richman and the no photo’s thing. When Nico played at The Prince, someone in the audience ‘lit up’ and she did the whole ‘stop the show’ routine. Had to be coaxed into continuing. Apparently it was disrespectful.

Interesting about Jonathan Richman and the no photo’s thing. When Nico played at The Prince, someone in the audience ‘lit up’ and she did the whole ‘stop the show’ routine. Had to be coaxed into continuing. Apparently it was disrespectful.
That rings vague bells.

FYI The comments on the interview are also good;

"I’m glad he brought that up — about no security and bands setting up their own equipment in 67-68 — that’s how it was in the UK up until about 1970. Rock was not a multi-billion dollar industry and a career choice for kids back then. It was ignored by mainstream media. It was word of mouth, and known to kids who read the music press. There were no “schools of rock” in every sixth-grade class. TV commercials didn’t have Stratocasters hanging on the wall in the background. Nobody in their right mind would hang a guitar on the wall unless you ran a music store." AFaceinthecrowd01

And how could I forget JR in my 1983 list....oh I know I limited myself to 25 was watching ww and it was late.

Most Honourable Mention for GREATEST SCENE IN THE EIGHTIES (Southern Hemisphere Division) must go to bands who were said to be proponents of the ‘Dunedin Sound’.

Especially thinking here of The Chills, who are still going strong and still the primary musical vehicle for Martin Phillipps.

5b54993bac5246ff09fc99bc3e43d9a6.jpg
Robert Crumb's Mr Natural...cartoonist of influence extrordinaire.

An existential thought bubble (bubbles) that washed up in reaction to post #51.
I had an immediate reaction to counter with a Simone De Beauvoir meme because whenever I see the word 'should' I reach for my gun....(saddling up and riding forth as a Cultural Warrior)
You know being the Preshill model the ideal is not to be combative so I deleted my knee jerk reactive post..after all it's not WW...or any other world war. I took myself outside and played with sticks for awhile....

“Given the ideals of the 70's that decade of fashionable ideals aka Preshill was the 'groovy school' to be at in Melbs, with the 'Peace Love & Happiness' and 'let it all hang out' or to quote Neil in the Young Ones "thats heavy man' and my favourite from the Weathermen* 'You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" adages of the era...(that's memes for those born with the internet) and schooling of 'The Personal is Political'...it made me question how all that sits within in the bounds of the internet campfire in the Hunger Games Age.
Now that's an interesting conversation, not just.... How has the the invention and operation of the internet rubbed up against the ideals of the generation that invented it?.. but also...How does La Nausee fair through the prism of now?**
Or for that matter Simone De Beauvoir?

I quickly returned to being fluffy serious after I came back inside from playing with sticks...
after all as I like to say, 'I'm channelling through my hairstyle'.

*The Weather Underground was a far-left Marxist militant organization first active in 1969,
**"Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre is a philosophical novel that delves into the existential crisis of its protagonist, exploring themes of alienation, consciousness, and the meaninglessness of life."

Mid Century Influencer Files;

Edie Sedgwick 1943 -1971
Eddie Sedgwick shared the stage with the Velvet Underground at Max's Kansas City.....Major Influencer & Tragic Heroine of many.....

images.jpg
Where do you think Curt Cobain got his look from.

Reading;

Eddie 'American Girl' by Jean Stein
First Published 1982
s-l64.jpg 91jO5rtyCUL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
Original Cover

As It Turns Out by Alice Sedgwick Wohl
Published 2023

9780349727745.jpg
FYI; One of the best books I read last year.

Just a random Pop Cult Ref:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mid Century Influencer files:
Robert Crumb Underground Comics Genius & Originator
1943-

Crumb contributed to many of the seminal works of the underground comix movement in the 1960s, including being a founder of the first successful underground comix publication, Zap Comix. Ref; Wiki

1968 Cheap Thrills Big Brother & The Holding Company Cover
Artwork R. Crumb.

IMG_8638.jpeg

Album
Released Aug 1968 Columbia Records.
Cheap Thrills is the second studio album by American rock band Big Brother and the Holding Company, issued by Columbia Records in 1968. Cheap Thrills was the band's final album with lead singer Janis Joplin before she left to begin a solo career. Ref: Wiki

Cover Art
The cover was drawn by underground cartoonist Robert Crumb after the band's original cover idea, a photo of the group naked in bed together, was vetoed by Columbia Records. Crumb had originally intended his art for the LP back cover, with a portrait of Janis Joplin to grace the front. But Joplin—an avid fan of underground comics, especially the work of Crumb—so loved the Cheap Thrills illustration that she demanded Columbia place it on the front cover. It is number nine on Rolling Stone's list of 100 greatest album covers.[6] Crumb later authorized the sale of prints of the cover, some of which he signed before sale. Ref; Wiki

Influence in Melbs acid test:
Fred Negro Prince Of Wales Artworks etc:
"If you lived in inner city Melbourne during the 1980s and 1990s and frequented music venues such as the Esplanade Hotel and the Prince Of Wales, the name Fred Negro was omnipresent. For those that survived, the music, cartoons and good-natured notoriety of Fred is legendary. Ref; Pub The Movie Promo Blurb.

Quiz Question for 3KZ is Football
What year was this?

1704401672458.png

Just throwing a couple out there in a rush as I head to work:
What Are You On - Manikins
Heart Of Stone - Edith Bliss
Play The Game - Wendy And The Rockets
1983 BINGO
Play the Game. Wendy & the Rockets.
Bet the song was better live.

The music clip ; Obviously Made in Melbs and shown on Countdown.
Clip Scenario includes; Venues, Fancy Mullets with Tuxes, Cars: FJ for the day & Mk II Jag for the night, heading out for the night with a bloke & a spare, Sport; Footy Carlton v Collingwood, Tennis, sprinting and Javlin throwing (*me it had it all), Pontoon & Champagne Glasses, Bubblebaths & Champagne buckets (timed to the words "Are you going to let it slip away"), Men shaving in Kiminos, Pearl clutching blokes in tuxes perving through windows, Leopard Coat & single shoulder dress, leather jackets and ripped off sleave T's and for the grand finish; the FJ breaks down on the Upper Esplanade St Kilda with the Espy in the background at sunset.
As Kath Day Knight would say about 'Play the Game', "It's Grouse Kimmy".

Last edited:
It's very thready!

Interesting to juxtapose my own contemporary experiences against this group.
yup it's thready..... a sewing circle/camp fire convo/not a comp....BYO contemporary experiences Braklet it's a free school.....

Last edited:
This is a one sided story...of Melbourne Artist Meagan Bannister (dec)...a blazing comet in the Art World in the late 70's early 80's...First show at Tolarnos Fitzroy St sold out in 1/2 an Hour....enormous paintings of gothic flowers....there are always 2 sides to a story... when you die you can't tell it................but some remember.......

The food and the murals were amazing at Tolarnos, I've been in there more than a few times although not recently.

Mid Century Influencer files:
Robert Crumb Underground Comics Genius & Originator
1943-

Crumb contributed to many of the seminal works of the underground comix movement in the 1960s, including being a founder of the first successful underground comix publication, Zap Comix. Ref; Wiki

1968 Cheap Thrills Big Brother & The Holding Company Cover
Artwork R. Crumb.

View attachment 1882076

Album
Released Aug 1968 Columbia Records.
Cheap Thrills is the second studio album by American rock band Big Brother and the Holding Company, issued by Columbia Records in 1968. Cheap Thrills was the band's final album with lead singer Janis Joplin before she left to begin a solo career. Ref: Wiki

Cover Art
The cover was drawn by underground cartoonist Robert Crumb after the band's original cover idea, a photo of the group naked in bed together, was vetoed by Columbia Records. Crumb had originally intended his art for the LP back cover, with a portrait of Janis Joplin to grace the front. But Joplin—an avid fan of underground comics, especially the work of Crumb—so loved the Cheap Thrills illustration that she demanded Columbia place it on the front cover. It is number nine on Rolling Stone's list of 100 greatest album covers.[6] Crumb later authorized the sale of prints of the cover, some of which he signed before sale. Ref; Wiki

Influence in Melbs acid test:
Fred Negro Prince Of Wales Artworks etc:
"If you lived in inner city Melbourne during the 1980s and 1990s and frequented music venues such as the Esplanade Hotel and the Prince Of Wales, the name Fred Negro was omnipresent. For those that survived, the music, cartoons and good-natured notoriety of Fred is legendary. Ref; Pub The Movie Promo Blurb.

Quiz Question for 3KZ is Football
What year was this?

View attachment 1882073

1988? Trying to work Ice-Cream Hands into the picture. If I hadn’t seen them on the handbill, I might have gone earlier and said 1987.

1988? Trying to work Ice-Cream Hands into the picture. If I hadn’t seen them on the handbill, I might have gone earlier and said 1987.
You'd actually be the only one who would know. It's somewhere between those 2 years. Must speak to my (1Year) younger brother about this stuff as he hung out with Fred way back in the early 1980's in his bad old days....

“An existential thought bubble (bubbles) that washed up in reaction to post #51.
I had an immediate reaction to counter with a Simone De Beauvoir meme because whenever I see the word 'should' I reach for my gun....” - Pamcake1

So you should. When I made the meme it was more about Satre, than Simone De Beauvoir. It actually took me three or four false starts before I finally read Nausea. I think it stands up well today, but I wouldn’t go “all in” until I re-read it. What I was hoping to convey with the meme was my sense that ultimately Satre regarded himself as a superior intellect and writer to De Beauvoir and it was his HUBRIS I was trying to convey. Lloyd Cole name checks Simone De Beauvoir and Satre responds with, “you should read my book.” Small man syndrome. Back to the sticks, cardboard and sticky tape. That said, I did enjoy Les chemins de la liberté and some of his plays are great.

As for Simone de Beauvoir - you only need to look at Claudine Gay at Harvard to see what would happen to her today.

The food and the murals were amazing at Tolarnos, I've been in there more than a few times although not recently.
Mirka's Murals in the restaurant part Kurve .
Recently the new owners (developers) tried to cover them up permanently, they'd been covered by the owners before that behind a false wall....criminal....the family has now fought and won the permanent protection of them.
Tolarno's Gallery run by Georges Mora was two big rooms behind the restaurant, it moved to Sth Yarra just before he died and his once asssitant, Jan Minchon took over the gallery business from him.
I went to the restaurant in the early 80's and maybe 87 would be the last time I ate there.
It's no longer what it was and hasn't been for a long time. Either France Soir in Toorak Rd or Entrecote in Domain Road, now fill the gap of French Restaurant/Bistro food that Tolarno's once had...one of the few places in Melbs back in the day where the kitchen was open till 11pm.
I went to the show I was talking about and I'm trying to think it must have been 1982.
I just spoke to Meagan's ex boyfriend on FB earlier today, talking about the time he asked me to be the 'Hand Model' for Maggie Tabberer, drawing on film...and another time being his 'focus puller' in the middle of Bourke Street near Pellegrini's in 86.. ah the things you do for friends.
Simon Burton made a lot of early music clips in the late 70-80's...so I was also touching base with an ulterior motive...He is now in London. Him, Mark Worthy (dec) and Richard Lowenstein were the brightsparks of our Gen in Film in the 80's.
Back to the Mora's, I first met Mirka when she did a workshop on dolls at the old VCA in 1974...my Aunt was doing the workshop my younger sister and I were hanging about making stuff.
William Mora (dec. 2023) is my first Art Dealer, showing at his gallery in Flinders lane in 1988 and first solo show in 1989.
Tiriel (Tiz) Mora the youngest is of course an actor, Denis Dennuto...in the Castle...he's a friend, erstwhile Chess partner and a friend of the Roar group of Artists...last seen at Willies funeral May 2023.
Tiz was also a old friend of Big Bernie Jones ex Hawthorn player who also died last year....just to connect this back to footy.

Last edited:
“An existential thought bubble (bubbles) that washed up in reaction to post #51.
I had an immediate reaction to counter with a Simone De Beauvoir meme because whenever I see the word 'should' I reach for my gun....” - Pamcake1

So you should. When I made the meme it was more about Satre, than Simone De Beauvoir. It actually took me three or four false starts before I finally read Nausea. I think it stands up well today, but I wouldn’t go “all in” until I re-read it. What I was hoping to convey with the meme was my sense that ultimately Satre regarded himself as a superior intellect and writer to De Beauvoir and it was his HUBRIS I was trying to convey. Lloyd Cole name checks Simone De Beauvoir and Satre responds with, “you should read my book.” Small man syndrome. Back to the sticks, cardboard and sticky tape. That said, I did enjoy Les chemins de la liberté and some of his plays are great.

As for Simone de Beauvoir - you only need to look at Claudine Gay at Harvard to see what would happen to her today.
Claudine Gay...from what I'm reading in the New York Times...it was a case of they didn't interview any other candidates for the position...she was annointed to be the face of 'change' at Harvard after years of scandals...and all the articles/research that she plagurised. Academia is rotten to the core ask me...I worked in it for long enough.
So on that point CG is not comparable and my second point would be that token women don't exist in France (excepting Marrianne) not in Academia and not in life....as a culture and society they do take liberty, franternity and equality seriously...the convos around 'right speak', "cancel Culture' ' post feminism' and 'freedoms in the age of intellectual repression' are extant and rampant...just see what they put on TV.. philosophical discussions rate really well. Most French have opinions and can verbalise them extrordinarily well...it's their national sport.
Funny bugger starting off with a nice short patronising sentence of 3 words.
Yes, I it did dawn on me that it was more layered than the actual meme at face value....therefore a more considered creative post rather than trading memes.
Your using sticky tape!....What plastic!...it's the old clag bottle or make up some flour and water paste...for ye olde memes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back