Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

"The Cure will be playing Songs of a Lost World in its entirety at The Troxy in London on November 1st. To access tickets, fans must pre-order the album by 11:59pm on October 16th. It will also be live-streamed on YouTube for free."

I hope it’s good. 🤞

After a manic 1981, 1982 was a bit quieter. It proved to be the calm before the 1983 storm.
IMG_0947.png
IMG_0948.png
IMG_0949.png

"The Cure will be playing Songs of a Lost World in its entirety at The Troxy in London on November 1st. To access tickets, fans must pre-order the album by 11:59pm on October 16th. It will also be live-streamed on YouTube for free."

I watched the 2018 concert on the ginormous screen at the Palace (over here) with Mrs m. We were both really impressed. Once again they do an excellent job. Film was about 2hrs and change and every time I've seen them the gig has gone on for close to three hours. Serious value for money.

After a manic 1981, 1982 was a bit quieter. It proved to be the calm before the 1983 storm.
View attachment 2139985
View attachment 2139987
View attachment 2139988
The first list has some of my favourite tunes on it from the decade.
Back then 1982 I started off the year back at RMIT for 2nd year Graphic Design and hating it as I was given a bare pass for 1st year bc I had got the Head of Depts nose out of joint. The Head of Dept George Santos was an American ex-advertising guy. If you didn't swallow the 'Kool Aid' that he was shopping then you were the equivalent of a cockroach to be eradicated by any means. The means were interfering with my grades, an HD in one class became a pass etc. I was incensed by the unfairness but those were the days of untrammeled power of the Head of a Dept at RMIT. By Easter wanting out, a total turn around for a person who had always loved education. I stuck it out for the 1st semester and then deferred all of the rest of 2nd year bar the 2 drawing subjects. I was working at St Vincents Hospital by the end of the year in the Catering Dept. In the days when hospitals still had kitchens where they cooked. Memory of peeling 50-60 hard boiled eggs first off at 7.30am for the egg salad sandwiches before scooting off to serve morning teas in the wards where I'd infill absences in my white uniform and white shoes. The hospital, Nuns and all was a very different village to find myself working in, it was a job and 1982 was the first year I remember of it being really difficult to get a job.

The first list has some of my favourite tunes on it from the decade.
Back then 1982 I started off the year back at RMIT for 2nd year Graphic Design and hating it as I was given a bare pass for 1st year bc I had got the Head of Depts nose out of joint. The Head of Dept George Santos was an American ex-advertising guy. If you didn't swallow the 'Kool Aid' that he was shopping then you were the equivalent of a cockroach to be eradicated by any means. The means were interfering with my grades, an HD in one class became a pass etc. I was incensed by the unfairness but those were the days of untrammeled power of the Head of a Dept at RMIT. By Easter wanting out, a total turn around for a person who had always loved education. I stuck it out for the 1st semester and then deferred all of the rest of 2nd year bar the 2 drawing subjects. I was working at St Vincents Hospital by the end of the year in the Catering Dept. In the days when hospitals still had kitchens where they cooked. Memory of peeling 50-60 hard boiled eggs first off at 7.30am for the egg salad sandwiches before scooting off to serve morning teas in the wards where I'd infill absences in my white uniform and white shoes. The hospital, Nuns and all was a very different village to find myself working in, it was a job and 1982 was the first year I remember of it being really difficult to get a job.

Both of those are standout tracks in a strong, but less prolific year. ‘Oh Superman’ is connected with a personal moment in my life where in that instant, I was completely and utterly at peace and happy. It was like Plato’s Theory of Forms and rather than viewing the shadow cast on the wall, I had actually been captured by the essence of happiness. It was fleeting, but I will never forget it.

It is hard to imagine being 20.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back