Delisted #2: Ricky Dyson

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Season review 2: Ricky Dyson

This year Rick D made me look like a fool for criticizing the 3 year contract he got and full credit to him. Has become a solid contributor and clearly in our best 22. I can honestly say now that I would be very happy for him to play out the rest of his career with us. Well done Ricky, you showed your worth this year and I hope you step up to another level next year. :thumbsu:

Great year from Ricky D. Showed all the critics (including myself) that we were wrong. He seems to have a lot more confidence to take the game on instead of sitting back and waiting for things to happen.

will definitely be up there in the B&F as does the task assigned to him by the coaching panel week after week. puts 100% in every week doing the one-percenters. as the year went on his confidence increased and thus his kicking skills.

i'd give his season a 7/10. He would be a chance for top 5 in B&F. Would be in the mix for most improved amongst other awards like the coaches award and trainers award etc. Would be surprised if he walks away from Crichton Medal night without some award.

Amazing transformation. He finally stood up and started playing like a AFL footballer.

He still needs to go up a bit more to take us from and average side to a top 4 side. He needs a bit more strength and the ability to get it 20 times without fail.

I'm hoping for a Leigh Montagna type rise next year.

Re: 2. Ricky Dyson

Ricky Dyson

23 games
8 goals 8 behinds
Averages:
Kicks 11.5 handballs 7.3 disposals 18.8 tackles 2.3
Disposal efficiency: Kicks 66.5 Handballs 81.2 Disposals 71.9
Contested possessions 28.7% Uncontested possessions 71.3%
Inside 50’s 3.7
Clearances 1.6

Dyson was the only player to play all 23 games this season. He started the year on everyone’s delist column but has had a very solid season. He ended up 6th on the list for average disposals and looked a lot more comfortable in the game plan and with his role in the side. His year was pretty consistent which was not a feature of his game in previous years and it was only in the last 4 or 5 weeks that his form was a bit patchy from week to week. The fact that he stepped out during the NAB Cup series and quickly improved in confidence with the role he was playing set him up for a good season.

The down side for him in my opinion where two things. Firstly he still struggled to be really effective in any sort of run with role or defensive role. He tried hard when given these assignments but it does not appear to be a totally natural part of his game. Secondly leading into this year he had 64 games under his belt so realistically he should be averaging a few more possessions per game to be effective and he should be putting a stamp on games more often or for longer during games.
Overall he had a pretty good year and he proved the coach’s faith in him was not misdirected.

What has to happen?

Well now he is an 87 game player moving into his 7th season of AFL footy he has to step up an be one of our better ball movers. He knows his role and has not been caught out with indecision like previous years so now is the time for him to shine. He has to have more 25 plus possession games and he needs to get his average disposals up over 20 per game. His defensive side needs a minor tidy up but it is not too bad and he is pretty good at finding a man.
We have waited a while to see the type of football he displayed on a more regular basis this year. Let’s hope he can have the confidence to finally deliver on the early potential a lot saw in him.

Pretty much Agree with your summation.

I actually think that Dyson played better football because he learnt to sit on a player which helped him when he wasn't having a big possession game.

I noticed that he played more of the game as a defensive midfielder and Like all our midfielders doesnt kick enough goals.

I would like if he was freed up more and he should aim to kick 20+ goals per year.

Amazing transformation. He finally stood up and started playing like a AFL footballer.

He still needs to go up a bit more to take us from and average side to a top 4 side. He needs a bit more strength and the ability to get it 20 times without fail.

I'm hoping for a Leigh Montagna type rise next year.

Agree. I wasn;t a fan at all but he has had a really good season.

I would like to see him take the game on more and really dominate games.

He needs to improve again from just a very good player to a great player.

Very consistant & quality year from him.

He has finally recovered from that bashing he received a few years back.

I reckon he is starting to play the footy expected of him. Well done Knights too for keeping the faith in what many thought was a wasted space on the list.

Is Skippy the new Dyson ( skape goat ) of the EFC ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked Dyson's season, and agree with ant555's summary.

Side note: I think he, Pears and Stanton were the only ones to play all 23 games, rather than just Dyson. Solid effort by all 3.

Hats off to the people who have defended him through the dark times, Im not one of them. One of the biggest positives for the year IMO. His defensive efforts and accountability have been outstanding. His long kicking is now a weapon rather than a hit and miss and his confidence is giving him leadership strength. Really established himself in the best 22.

Dyso is my man for season 2010.... eagerly awaiting some news on him over the coming weeks leading up to the Nab Cup..

Where do people think he will play most of his footy in 2010?? He was pretty impressive both across the half back line and half forward line last season.

This is Ricky's report from the Practise Match on Wednesday.... he played in the black team who were being coached by GOD and Campo. They got thumped but good to see some of the younger guys gets some decent game time against quality opposition.

Dyson: Played mainly as a flexible defender and Winderlich had the better of him in that dual. He is fit and going well and this was a good experience for him if he is going to play this type of position during the season.

Seems as though they are going to persevere with Dyso as a running half back flanker in 2010.

He's proven to play best as an attacking wing, obviously needs to play D on his man, but can't see him excelling as a half back with a defensive role. On the wing aand trough the middle is his strength, why take it away from him after he's proven his worth?

From the EFC website

2010 Preview
After playing every game in a variety of roles last season, Dyson was recognised as the club’s most improved player. Was given extended opportunities by the coaching staff and rewarded their faith by finishing first in long kicks (73) as well as racking up 201 handball receives and pumping the ball inside 50 on 84 occasions. The 24-year-old will be looking to back up his effort in 2010.

Like him as 3rd tagger who can run off his man and kick/set up goals. eg vs Carlton r3:
Welsh vs McLean
Hocking vs Gibbs
Dyson vs Murphy

From the EFC website

2010 Preview
After playing every game in a variety of roles last season, Dyson was recognised as the club’s most improved player. Was given extended opportunities by the coaching staff and rewarded their faith by finishing first in long kicks (73) as well as racking up 201 handball receives and pumping the ball inside 50 on 84 occasions. The 24-year-old will be looking to back up his effort in 2010.

Dyson is also rated by the 2010 Prospectus as one of two Bombers who are rated in the top ten kicks in the league.

:eek: Wow. Who's the other; Winderlich, Hurley, Fletcher?

Dempsey was the other, Lovett was there too it was an interesting read they used a lot of metrics such as retention, field position, possession type and distance gained

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted #2: Ricky Dyson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back