Remove this Banner Ad

fishmonger

Premiership Player
Jun 2, 2005
St Kilda
Other Teams
Grassroots Footy
I'm curious, is that a good crowd for the Swans ?

All of the focus has been on the "sell-out" 33,000 that the Lions pulled at the 'Gabba, but what about the Swans support.

After bowing out of the finals early and losing their first game are they sinking into another hole ? Did they have more competition in terms of NRL games this weekend ?

I know Port are a low drawing team, but for the league's darling to barely scrape a Tasmania like crowd is surely embarassing with all this chest beating over West Sydney expansion.

Thoughts ?

http://sportal.com.au/AFL-news-display/swans-overpower-port-45746

Swans overpower Port
30/03/2008 4:02:36 PM
Steve Orme at the SCG
Sportal
Related Links
Williams lost for words
Roos: Youth the key to win
Swans v Power - snippets
Mark Williams after the heavy loss to the Swans
Paul Roos after the Swans thumped the Power
The Sydney Swans have romped to a 22.14 (146) to 11.12 (78) victory over Port Adelaide at a sun-drenched SCG on Sunday.

Having led by 22 points at the long-break the hosts piled on the pain outscoring the Power 7.5 (47) to 1.1 (7) in the third to put their first victory of the season beyond doubt.

Barry Hall (5.2) and Michael O'Loughlin (4.1) combined for nine goals but had plenty of support with 12 Swans kicking majors on the day.

Young guns Kieren Jack and Craig Bird continued their fine play while the usual suspects Craig and Jude Bolton also leading the way.

Shaun Burgoyne was the shining light for the Power with four goals and 19 possessions while Brendon Lade also gave a good account of himself on a forgettable day for the visitors.

The Swans matched their total Round 1 goal output by quarter-time piloting six majors in a frenetic opening term to take a handy 6.2 (38) to 4.1 (25) lead.

Hall turned back the clock with a towering mark early in the contest to the delight of the Swans faithful.

Warren Tredrea kept the Power in touch with two first-quarter goals but the veteran cooled off in the second squandering three golden chances to hand the hosts the half-time advantage.

Sydney did well to nullify the visitor's potent running-game and had no shortage of options in attack with nine Swans registering first-half goals.

Jarrad McVeigh's snap from 40 metres triggered the Swans' seven-goal avalanche as the heat began to take its toll on all players.

Leo Barry's mark deep inside 50 and subsequent goal was the final insult for the Power.

Port managed to stem the tide somewhat early in the fourth quarter but could not deny Hall who added three goals to his tally in the final term.

SYDNEY: 6.2, 10.5, 17.10, 22.14 (146)
PORT ADELAIDE: 4.1, 6.7, 7.8, 11.12 (78)

GOALS: Sydney: Hall 5, O'Loughlin 4, McVeigh 2, Kirk 2, Barlow, Jack, Barry, Bolton, Roberts-Thomson, Goodes, Grundy, Bevan
Port Adelaide: S.Burgoyne 4, Tredrea 2, Motlop 2, Rodan, K.Cornes, Pettigrew
BEST: Sydney: Mattner, C.Bolton, Barry, Hall, Jack
Port Adelaide: S.Burgoyne, Lade, Westoff.
INJURIES: Sydney: Jack (head knock)
Port Adelaide: Nil
REPORTS: Nil
CHANGES: Nil
UMPIRES: Rosebury, Stevic, McLaren.
CROWD: 20,700 at the SCG

looked like a very small crowd on the TV.

Didn't the Swans admit to doctoring crowd numbers in the past so they wouldn't look bad compared to rugby or was that just a rumour I heard?

Didn't the Swans admit to doctoring crowd numbers in the past so they wouldn't look bad compared to rugby or was that just a rumour I heard?

I dont remember hearing that rumour but i have heard rumours of some NRL teams doctoring crowd numbers to make themselves look abit better. The Sydney Swans have the highest attendance of any Sydney based club of any code by a fair margin. There is no need for the Swans to doctor the crowd figures.

I'm lost you support nobody by your profile and you are bagging a team that has survived in a none AFL market. That crowd is probably larger than four League game crowds in Sydney combined.

Put it in perspective and do not compare Sydney crowds to Melbourne ridiculous thread really.

I dont remember hearing that rumour but i have heard rumours of some NRL teams doctoring crowd numbers to make themselves look abit better. The Sydney Swans have the highest attendance of any Sydney based club of any code by a fair margin. There is no need for the Swans to doctor the crowd figures.

Fair enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here are the Swans home crowd figures last year.

Round 1 - (Telstra Stadium) - 62586
Round 3 - (SCG) - 24854
Round 5 (SCG) - 23354
Round 8 - (SCG) - 25423
Round 10 - (SCG) - SCG
Round 12 - (Telstra Stadium) - 64222
Round 14 - (SCG) - 25943
Round 15 - (SCG) - 24858
Round 17 (SCG) - 23199
Round 19 (Telstra Stadium) - 63369
Round 22 - (SCG) - 27498

The SCG crowd always hovers between 23,000 and 28,000 while the Telstra Stadium games all went over 60,000 people.

And the question is:

"Do those extra 35 000 that attend games in Western Syd (Telstra and now ANZ Stadium) form the basis of support for a Western Sydney team?"

And the question is:

"Do those extra 35 000 that attend games in Western Syd (Telstra and now ANZ Stadium) form the basis of support for a Western Sydney team?"

The Collingwood and St Kilda supporters?

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back