Delisted #20: Jackson Merrett - not offered a contract for 2019 - 22/8

Remove this Banner Ad

The one thing I would say, I find his case curious. Consider his early career - he played as a small forward and actually looked pretty decent I thought. He had a neatness and a certain nous about him.

Then in early 2014, he goes nuts and gets 35 possessions, against an admittedly appalling Carlton team, but still. Nothing to sneeze at. The signs looked real promising at that point.

Had he hit his ceiling then? I guess so, with hindsight. But to not only not be able to build on that promising start, but not even come close to replicating it again - it's curious.

Just sounds like typical Essendon to me, we’re exceptional at regressing players

Team balance aside, where has he actually played his best footy?

He doesn’t seem to have the goal sense of Green, but he also has a better tank to work harder up the ground so offers a little more potential for defensive running and pressure.

I’ve no issue with him being played as depth with Fantasia and Green both out, I’d be skeptical if he stays in without any sign of improvement ahead of guys like Langford / Laverde / Clarke / Guelfi who have much more upside.

I think he'll go down as one of those "okay" players that was never really good enough to make himself entrenched in the 22 but has 1 absolute howler every 10 games or so.

First senior game back from a very serious leg break that many thought would be curtains for his career. Like others have said, started promising but like all our forwards fell away as our structure fell to shit. Even our small forward woes aside, still deserves another chance imo.

The one thing I would say, I find his case curious. Consider his early career - he played as a small forward and actually looked pretty decent I thought. He had a neatness and a certain nous about him.

Then in early 2014, he goes nuts and gets 35 possessions, against an admittedly appalling Carlton team, but still. Nothing to sneeze at. The signs looked real promising at that point.

Had he hit his ceiling then? I guess so, with hindsight. But to not only not be able to build on that promising start, but not even come close to replicating it again - it's curious.
AFL footy is brutal - not everybody can handle it. He isn’t up to the physicality and intensity of the game at this level. And that’s ok - most of us aren’t. Doesn’t make him a bad person, just means he won’t be successful in AFL.

That’s why no coach he’s had has trusted him to play regular senior footy. Started well enough, but this failing was quickly evident and coaches lost faith.

Now why is he still on the list? We could certainly speculate on that....

I daresay injuries to Green and Begley are reasons to persist.
Because we've run out of alternatives. Two injuries means all of our available forwards will be playing and there will still be a spot for Jerrett.

Gets another go due to injuries.

I'd like to see some of the freshies get a go. Langford, Mutch and Clarke have all waited patiently. Smith can play forward and knows how to find the goals. We don't need Jerrett.

I'd like to see some of the freshies get a go. Langford, Mutch and Clarke have all waited patiently. Smith can play forward and knows how to find the goals. We don't need Jerrett.
As long as Raz is out, we need Jerrett. No point playing somebody out of position as a forward or changing the team structure for one or two games as it helps nobody, it's much easier to replace like-for-like and drop Jerrett again when Raz is fit and healthy.

At least 3 out of those 4 will get their turn this week anyway.

As long as Raz is out, we need Jerrett. No point playing somebody out of position as a forward or changing the team structure for one or two games as it helps nobody, it's much easier to replace like-for-like and drop Jerrett again when Raz is fit and healthy.

At least 3 out of those 4 will get their turn this week anyway.
I don't think it would matter that much while Raz is out because it won't be that many games (fingers crossed). If it's Langford he can have stints forward while Smith goes to the middle. We need the young players getting consistent games and pressuring the older players like Myers and Zaharakis for their spots.

I don't think it would matter that much while Raz is out because it won't be that many games (fingers crossed). If it's Langford he can have stints forward while Smith goes to the middle. We need the young players getting consistent games and pressuring the older players like Myers and Zaharakis for their spots.
Agreed, but IMO we also need to let midfielders be midfielders and forwards be forwards and stop trying to reinvent each player in the team before giving them a role

Agreed, but IMO we also need to let midfielders be midfielders and forwards be forwards and stop trying to reinvent each player in the team before giving them a role
Sending Smith forward for a week or two is hardly reinventing him. And bringing in Langford or Mutch or Clarke to play a midfield role while Smith is forward isn't reinventing them either.

Don't think this is true. in fact, his skill set would fit perfectly into a team with well defined structures and processes. We don't quite have that so he, like others are a bit at sea when they get the pill
Yeah, probably. Maybe a Sydney or Geelong.

Don't think this is true. in fact, his skill set would fit perfectly into a team with well defined structures and processes. We don't quite have that so he, like others are a bit at sea when they get the pill

Billy Hartung is probably a decent example; fits nicely in at North yet at Hawthorn was always a whipping boy.

I think Jerrett is just a good VFL player who can come in and perform as a depth role at AFL level. Not sure why we all seem to expect anything more than that when he's never really shown it consistently.

A bit like McKernan in many ways, someone that you're OK with keeping around as depth, but not likely to step up and go from a 25th on the list type player to being top 18.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Billy Hartung is probably a decent example; fits nicely in at North yet at Hawthorn was always a whipping boy.

I think Jerrett is just a good VFL player who can come in and perform as a depth role at AFL level. Not sure why we all seem to expect anything more than that when he's never really shown it consistently.

A bit like McKernan in many ways, someone that you're OK with keeping around as depth, but not likely to step up and go from a 25th on the list type player to being top 18.

funny, the way we manage players and expectations we would probably only bring mckernanan in to face max gawn... just to doubly make sure he is undersized ruck.. 6 FA later... not good enough

First senior game back from a very serious leg break that many thought would be curtains for his career. Like others have said, started promising but like all our forwards fell away as our structure fell to shit. Even our small forward woes aside, still deserves another chance imo.

Yeah nah you're an idiot. Sorry Jacko, just not up to it.

Didn’t watch the game. I assume there wasn’t anything he did of note. We would be better getting games into Jake Long tbh even though he hasn’t earned his spot. At least Longy is young and has something to work with.

We'd be better off playing an additional midfielder and just resting blokes forward more often. They couldn't offer any less up front and would increase our ability to rotate more.

Didn’t watch the game. I assume there wasn’t anything he did of note. We would be better getting games into Jake Long tbh even though he hasn’t earned his spot. At least Longy is young and has something to work with.
He had 8 touches. I was surprised it was that many.

He had 8 touches. I was surprised it was that many.
This half our problem..we keep gifting games to guys such as J Merrett, Baguely, Green, Myers, Brown and to a lesser extent McNeice. If they can't see by now that these guys are not up to AFL standard then this reflects poorly on the coach and his selection panel.

This half our problem..we keep gifting games to guys such as J Merrett, Baguely, Green, Myers, Brown and to a lesser extent McNeice. If they can't see by now that these guys are not up to AFL standard then this reflects poorly on the coach and his selection panel.
The difference between Myers in the side and out is stark. Also McNiece, what's with everyone criticizing him? Did okay for the most part of today, and it's his 3rd game ffs.

The difference between Myers in the side and out is stark. Also McNiece, what's with everyone criticizing him? Did okay for the most part of today, and it's his 3rd game ffs.
That's why I said to a lesser extent McNeice.... In my opinion not sure if he will make the cut. The others have had more than enough chances to cement a spot and I also acknowledge that Myers has missed a chunk of games through injury but for mine makes far too many errors and refuses to kick the footy (which is his main asset).

8 Touches and 1 tackle in a forward line that leaks the ball out of defence is not good enough

Most of our small forwards still think defence is the thing that runs outside the boundary line and sums up how we are tracking at the moment....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back