Which "Blunder" is greater?

• Roughead before Griffen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither, All the Players Will be Stars

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

wheres the Jesse Smith option?

I don't think taking Jesse W Smith under F/S was a blunder at all.

You mustn't have any faith in your young players if you believe it is. He was one of the top rated juniors, and he was a steal.

Show some faith in your youngsters in future.

Isnt Tambling like a Twig? Yeah he might be a small but hes just seriously not physically developed.

Not trying to create an argument as i havnt seen the kid enough but just open to opinions.
Danyle Pearce, who was passed over by every club largely due to the fact that he was too small and skinny in the same year that Tambling was drafted, has found himself able to make an impact - He won the Rising Star.

The fact is, even if smaller players ARE twigs, it's still possible for them to play at AFL level - Tambling doesn't really have an excuse.

I mean, it's way too early to write him off completely, but I would be utterly STUNNED if he got good enough to make the argument that picking him over Franklin wasn't a mistake.

Jordan Russell looks a stuff up over players such as Bate,
Monfries and Wood. Egan over Wood as well, when now they want a tap ruckmen. Sherman sliding is a stuff up for everyone other than Brisbane.

You mustn't have any faith in your young players if you believe it is. He was one of the top rated juniors, and he was a steal.

Bigfooty Tip 1: Read the title

thought you were talking about who'd end up the best out of 04'

check out my sig for god sakes. :eek:

Simply Said. Jesse Smith could be the best out of the lot. Quote me for that.

Roughead was selected for the reason the hawks were after bg body players which would hopefully play vital roles in filling the holes in the clubs KP holes. Had the hawkks had already had these type of players, griffen would have been selected IMO. As for tambling, there really is no excuse for the tigers, they believed Tambling was the better player, and took him instead of Franklin, and now regret that decision. Roughead does the job required of him and why he was selected, Tambling does not, so therefor, the tambling selection was the bigger blunder

Roughead was selected for the reason the hawks were after bg body players which would hopefully play vital roles in filling the holes in the clubs KP holes. Had the hawkks had already had these type of players, griffen would have been selected IMO. As for tambling, there really is no excuse for the tigers, they believed Tambling was the better player, and took him instead of Franklin, and now regret that decision. ...

Tend to agree. I wouldn't call drafting Roughhead a blunder. I suspect this was bought up by a Tiges supporter to distract from the Tambling draft clanger. Both Giffen and Roughhead will be very good players - but are different types. I rate them equally, although Griffen is performing better at this stage, but everyone knows KP types take longer to develop and reach their peak. Terry's oversight of Franklin for Tambling was just plain bizarre, ad is going to hurt the Tiges for many many years. :)

Both Franklin and Tambling look to be exciting forward pocket prospects, though Franklin has shown much more as a crumber at this stage. Probably the only draft ever where two forward pockets have been selected in the top 5.

Roughead will naturally take longer to develop than Griffen, but at this stage I'd be happy to call it a slight blunder - but in time I'm sure Hawks fans will be happy with Roughead. KP's are always a bit of a gamble, even highly rated ones.

Hell, Melbourne nabbed Rivers at 27 and Carrol via the Rookie list yet we're very happy with both Rivers and Carrol as our key defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carrol is just plain ordinary. Rivers - well a great first year - but has turned out to be servicable, not much more. The Dees list badly lacks elite talent. :)

Top 3 CHB/FB duo in the comp, statistically.

The BEST in the comp at 1%ers and spoils too.

Tambling is NOT a FP, he is clearly going to be a midfielder.

I just can't wait until next season. You guys simply have no idea how awesome Tambling is, he is an explosive talent with elite potential and believe it or not he is plodding along AS EXPECTED.

There have been a lot of opinions on BF that are proved to be extreme blunders of opinions.... but the whole Tambling/Franklin opinion most people here have is going to provide a massive crowd of red faces when Bling turns it on and every Tiger supporter starts making hundreds of threads about how good Tambling is.

He was rated the greatest aboriginal player in history before being drafted. He is expected to do hardly anything until he turns 20-21. He is an explosive, skillful midfielder who is written off on BF despite developing as planned. He is Richard Tambling :D :thumbsu:

Tambling is NOT a FP, he is clearly going to be a midfielder.

I just can't wait until next season. You guys simply have no idea how awesome Tambling is, he is an explosive talent with elite potential and believe it or not he is plodding along AS EXPECTED.

There have been a lot of opinions on BF that are proved to be extreme blunders of opinions.... but the whole Tambling/Franklin opinion most people here have is going to provide a massive crowd of red faces when Bling turns it on and every Tiger supporter starts making hundreds of threads about how good Tambling is.

He was rated the greatest aboriginal player in history before being drafted. He is expected to do hardly anything until he turns 20-21. He is an explosive, skillful midfielder who is written off on BF despite developing as planned. He is Richard Tambling :D :thumbsu:

Greatest Aboriginal ever drafted. Thats the second funniest thing ive ever heard, closely behind Terry Tan saying he had the 2 best players of the 04 draft. HI-LARIOUS...

...There have been a lot of opinions on BF that are proved to be extreme blunders of opinions.... but the whole Tambling/Franklin opinion most people here have is going to provide a massive crowd of red faces...

I guess you'll be wearing the "red face", until these "gunna do" hopes remain. One of the worst draft blunders this century. :)

i dont think he will be, but a damn good bargin for a father son pick

Well i did say Could as hes one injury prone bugger. Hopefully he doesnt turn out like Kosi and accomplish what he seriously can do.

Another bargain F/S for ya is Mitch Morton. Watch for him in 07.

I guess you'll be wearing the "red face", until these "gunna do" hopes remain. One of the worst draft blunders this century. :)

What have I got to be red faced over? If he never does anything ever despite his massive potential and then never ever delivers ever... well there is no single point where you can point at me and say "you were wrong", not unless he is delisted.

But you guys will be proved wrong the second he gets 30+ possies and 3+ goals in a game. That single moment will be followed by swarms of Tiger supporters making threads to embarrass people like you :)

You guys are making grand statements that a skinny midfielder is terrible because after 2 baby seasons he hasn't reached his potential.

I believe the 2nd most exciting prospect of the 2004 draft will be a gun.

Logically, which outcome is more likely?

Because:

A) Franklin DOESN'T play key position - He plays HFF now, and is likely to continue playing HFF in the future. It doesn't seem his style to be a traditional key position player.

B) Smalls usually come on a lot quicker than talls, so it is doubly embarrassing that Tambling hasn't managed to make a lick of impact in the time that Franklin has demonstrated star-qualities.

If you were any kind of "realistic" fan, you would recognise that at this stage, Tambling looks like he could be no better than Andy Krakouer unless he improves dramatically, while Franklin has shown that he might be the most physically talented player in the league, and has kicked multiple bags of 6 goals in his short career.

According to you Franklin is and always will be a HFF. Yet according to the Hawks own website:

Confident and athletic key position prospect who averaged one goal a game in 20 outings in his debut season.

Surely if Franklin is as good as everyone believes him to be then he would be stepping up to play CHF in the near future. WIth that again I ask how is it that Roughead and Griffen cannot be compared when there is only 6cm difference in height. While Tambling gets compared to Franklin when there was 15cm and 13 kg difference between them.

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare.asp?SeasonID=&SelectedPlayers=1526,1564,&Compare=Go

Considering they are both HFF in your eyes I think Tambling stacks up quite well. Only thing Franklin has is his 2 career games with 6 goals.

Both Franklin and Tambling look to be exciting forward pocket prospects, though Franklin has shown much more as a crumber at this stage. Probably the only draft ever where two forward pockets have been selected in the top 5.

Roughead will naturally take longer to develop than Griffen, but at this stage I'd be happy to call it a slight blunder - but in time I'm sure Hawks fans will be happy with Roughead. KP's are always a bit of a gamble, even highly rated ones.

Hell, Melbourne nabbed Rivers at 27 and Carrol via the Rookie list yet we're very happy with both Rivers and Carrol as our key defenders.

Well you guys have a pretty handy forward pocket also in McLean. McLean can certainly grab a goal when needed although needs to be played as a pinch-hitting forward pocket off the bench.

Of the three forward pockets mentioned I would rate them...

1) Franklin
2) McLean
3) Tambling

However McLean has had an extra year on Tambling so we will wait and see who kicks more goals out of the two of them next year to decide.

Exactly. Sure, it'd be nice having Griffen in our side, but when you consider we picked up Birchall, who will be better than Griffen and has already shown that, at number 14 a year later, I think we have done well. It'd be nice to have Griffen in the side, but I don't think he's the superstar everyone is making him out to be.

Roughead, as you said, will take time. Late this year he showed signs, particularly against Scarlett, that he has the body and brain to match it with the best backmen out there. In a few years time teams will struggle to contain the excitement that is Williams, Buddy and Roughead in the Hawthorn forward line.

Exactly. Sure, it'd be nice having Griffen in our side, but when you consider we picked up Birchall, who will be better than Griffen and has already shown that, at number 14 a year later, I think we have done well. It'd be nice to have Griffen in the side, but I don't think he's the superstar everyone is making him out to be.

Roughead, as you said, will take time. Late this year he showed signs, particularly against Scarlett, that he has the body and brain to match it with the best backmen out there. In a few years time teams will struggle to contain the excitement that is Williams, Buddy and Roughead in the Hawthorn forward line.

You're a joke.

Birchall is not in Griffen's league, and you're kidding only yourself to think otherwise.

Roughead has struggled thus far and he'll never be worthy of the pick he was taken at.

Some Hawk fans are dead set blind, it's unbelievable. Every kid of theirs is a "gun" and superior to any others. What a joke. Wake up.

Remove this Banner Ad

2004 Draft Revisited

Back