2005 best albums so far

Remove this Banner Ad

Millencolin - Kingwood
Strike Anywhere - To live in discontent
Reel Big Fish - We're not happy 'till you're not happy
Smoke Or Fire - Above the city (a new signing to fat, and its really good!)

superfraser said:
The Bravery - self titled. it reminds me quite a bit of the killers but probably doesn't get quite as... whats the word? fast/intense - not that the killers is overly fast or intense.

the sunday magazine (in the sunday herald sun from last weekend) rated this as a "listen to" or something.. gave it a very strong reveiw..

check it out.. i really really rate it.. :)

the killers meets the strokes..

The Overture & The Underscore- Sarah Blasko.

The other albums I've bought this year are a bit older, like This Island by Le Tigre and Hopes and Fears by Keane... Need to get the new Cat Empire one and Ben Lee

At the moment:
The Mars Volta: Frances the mute
NIN: With teeth
Bloc Party:Silent Alarm

Heard a bit that sounds good but not the whole album:
Fiona Apple:Extraordinary Machine
Kaiser Chiefs:Employment
SOAD:Mesmerize
Billy Corgan:THEFUTUREEMBRACE
Tori Amos:The Beekeeper
Beck:Guero
Shihad:Love is the new hate
Ben Lee:Awake is the new sleep
QOTSA:Lullabies to paralyze

Looking forward to:
Fear Factory
Deftones
Tool (hurry up!)
The White Stripes
Dream Theater
Jimmy Chamberlain Complex
Mudvayne
Oasis

Staying clear of:
korn
audioslave (what a disappointment)
limp bizkit
Foo fighters

superfraser said:
The Used - In Love and Death. when i started listening to it, i thought... errg another pop-punk band with a really bad voice.. but next time i put it on i got more of a really good pop-punk band. here and there the leads voice annoys me, but he also goes really really heavey. can kind of do what chester and mike do, by himself. track 3 - let it bleed (or something close) is REALLY good, and reminds me alot of linkin park

ILAD came out in September last year, but they relased both singles (Aus) in 2005 (i think).

ILAD is a terrible cd compared to the first. In fact, it doesnt even compare at all. It's a pitty that a quality band with a lot of potential had to move down the commercial road... oh well. Heres to hoping that theyr next cd will be crazy.

And Berts voice sounds terrible in most songs on ILAD. Check out stuff from the old cd like "Buried Myself Alive", "Taste Of Ink", and "On My Own". He can really hit it.

I am looking forward to"The Warrior's Code" - Dropkick Murphys. Apparently its very folky which is OK in my books but I think their best work was earlier when they had more Oi! influences instead of trying to be a heavier version of the Pogues.

Some good albums already this year! My favourites include (in no particular order)

Bright Eyes - I'm wide awake, it's morning
Eels - Blinking lights
Gorillaz - Demon Days
System of a down - Mezmirize
Arcade fire - Funeral

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pantsless said:
Trail Of Dead - Worlds Apart is my favourite of 2005 so far.

Like Essendon of 2000, has class from FB to FF.

It's not too bad, but it's panels behind Source Codes, in my opinion. It's almost like they are a victim of their own success- the drumming on Source Codes set a very high benchmark for the band, I reckon.

PS- Arcade Fire-Funeral was 2004!

harry_hawka said:
It's not too bad, but it's panels behind Source Codes, in my opinion. It's almost like they are a victim of their own success- the drumming on Source Codes set a very high benchmark for the band, I reckon.

PS- Arcade Fire-Funeral was 2004!

Ah. I thought it was close, and Sanity's website said it came out February.

They are not the most up to date folk in Sanity. A mate went in there yesterday to find out when Maximo Park's album comes out.

Nathan: Hi. Do you guys know when the Maximo park album comes out?
Sales guy: Sorry, what was the name?
Nathan: Maximo Park
Sales guy: ...what was that?
Nathan: (slowly) Maximo Park
Sales guy: Look mate, I can't understand what you're saying.
Nathan: (syllable by syllable) Max-i-mo Park!
Sales guy: ...park?
Nathan: Don'y worry I'll go elsewhere!
:D

harry_hawka said:
It was released in September last year, but only hit the main Australian retailers in February 2005. However, it's definitely a 2004 album!
It's like "The Chronic" by Dr. Dre. Was released in December 1992 but was pretty much a 1993 album. But when you heard Snoop saying "nine-deuce" all over the record you had to accept that it was a '92 album.

Deestroy said:
It's good?
I've heard mostly negetive reviews.

I reckon it's great....been a massive fan for years...I think it's definitely an album that grows on you and gets better each time you listen to it. I've seen very differing reviews from awesome to rubbish on Metacritic, but I never listen to reviews as I don't trust most of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

2005 best albums so far

Remove this Banner Ad

Back