gbear

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 27, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
First of all I would like to congratulate the club on putting on such a fantastic night. For anyone contemplating going next year it is well and truly a worthwhile event to attend. Definitely worth the $130 a ticket. Thanks must go to those who were on table 59, as they made the night even better.

So heres the wrap up as promised…

The meal: Entrée was superb – prawns served on some salad thingy, was good all the same. Main Meal one was either given steak or chicken. Thanks must go to blackdiamond for swapping his steak for my chicken. The consensus at our table was that both dishes could have done without the generous sprinkle of corn over the top. I must make special mention of the sun-dried tomatoes served with both dishes, as they were absolutely divine. Dessert was a coffee mousse served in a chocolate cup accompanied by a rich chocolate sauce.

The beverages: Lets just say that my glass was never empty. As far as I can recollect I had more than 2 alcoholic beverages Shane and I was still walking upright by the end of the evening. I actually lost count with regards to how much I drank, but it must have been a bit, as I am still quite hung over this afternoon.

The Entertainment: Provided by the flaming sambucas was IMO reasonably good. But I will leave the others who attended to comment on this.

The speeches: Greg Boulton – fair summation of the season. The club has a positive outlook for the 2006 season.
Mark Williams – Thanked the sponsors, particularly the major sponsors. Almost apologised to Allan Scott for the comments he made after last years GF. Paid a wonderful tribute to the three retiring players, particularly Matty and thanked them for their wonderful contribution to the club over the past 9 years.
Phil Walsh – pretty sure he had had a few drinks before he went up on stage.
Roger James – Pretty sure he shed a tear whilst up on stage. True champion and will be missed. Hope he will remain at the club in some capacity next year.
Matthew Primus - Standing ovation given. Plenty of highlights of a wonderful career shown on the big screen. Hopefully will be an assistant or ruck coach at the club some time in the not too distant future.
Poults – Will forever be remembered for kicking the winning goal after the siren against the Swans. Looking forward to seeing Poults play on with the Maggies next season.

The Awards
Pearce definitely deserved to win the best first year player. His acceptance speech was excellent, as he spoke clearly and thoughtfully. IMO he is an excellent addition to Port’s list
Michael Wilson: Champion player. Good to see him win the Fos Williams Medal. Lets hope that he regains his 2004 form next season.
Most improved: Domenic Cassisi Thought that Troy Chaplin may have taken out this award, however Cassisi is still a deserved winner
Best finals player - Chad Cornes
Best team man - Darryl Wakelin
John Cahill Medal: Happy to see Tredders win after all the rubbish he has copped form the media this season, however I think that Kane should have won it. Kane was however gracious in defeat, even though he was visibly shattered. Only real concern in Tredders acceptance speech was his high praise for Freddie :(

Worst Dressed Player by a country mile would have to be Jacob Surjan. His shirt and tie were an awful combination.

As for the girls – many great frocks on display – no real standouts.

AWOL: Pickett was nowhere in sight. Apparently the club has been unable to contact him for 4 days

Pictures will be forthcoming at a later date.

Sounds like it was a good night, Pickett is gone, its probably not that weird for him to be out of contact for a few days but his heart just isnt in the jumper anymore or even the game of aussie rules i think.

Good post. Pretty fair summation of the evening, which was very enjoyable and a great time was had by all, on my table at least.
Two minor points of order:
Beverages - Not impressed with the beer served being Tooheys New. What's the problem with the local product?
Entertainment - thought the band was pretty average, but no big deal.

Fair to say the club did an excellent job. Ticks in several boxes, according to most observers :D

Sad times regarding Choppy. I really hope everything's straightened out and he's playing next year. I'm not ready disassociate him as a port supporter quite yet.

Also, what did Walshy say that led you to believe he'd had a few? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have tonnes of photos of myself and the players and roger james and jared poulton giving their retirement speeches, but I dont know how to put them up

power_goddess said:
I have tonnes of photos of myself and the players and roger james and jared poulton giving their retirement speeches, but I dont know how to put them up

The pics need to be uploaded to a website and then it's just a matter of adding a link with their url by clicking on the Insert Image icon when adding a post.

or just as easily type in the link like the following but substitute the () symbols with [] symbols.

(IMG)web link(/IMG)

so as an example

Code:
(IMG)http://www.tracyvillage.com.au/assets/portpower/grandfinal.jpg(/IMG)

becomes the following pic when I change the () symbols to []

grandfinal.jpg

power_goddess said:

Register at - www.photobucket.com

Then all you do is - Scan the photo's on your scanner then click on the browse button in your photobucket album to upload the picture into your photobucket album, ohh yeah i forgot but photobucket is free to use. :)

if you have any problems just message me & i'll help you out.

I have to agree with those that went to last Saturday night's B&F that it was very well done. I have been to the last 3 now and each year seems to be just as good as the year before and the players are just so relaxed and don't mind chatting to the supporters, particularly some (i.e. Jacob Surjan who had had WAY too much to drink and even invited my friend and I to the afterparty at the Hyatt! And no, we didn't go...we would have loved to but thought that it was the players night and we didnt want to intrude on their party!) Anyway, back to the night, the food was delicious (particularly dessert - yum - for which I could only eat half and I thought the entertainment by the Flaming Sambucca's was quite good. I had lots of photo's of me with the players (will not post these - too embarrassing :eek: and I also recorded Matty's speech on my mobile, but don't yet have the software to be able to upload it on my computer, but when I do, I will try and pop in on here (dont know if I can do that or not!). It was a very emotional speech and I for one, did shed a tear. Overall, a fantastic night and definately worth the $130 it cost. Will do it all again next yr!!

I have to say it was a great night and I will be definitely going back next year. The entertainment wasnt too bad but could do better. The food was great especially the entree. Judging by the drinks the Adelaide Convention Centre provided on the night, everyone enjoyed it too cause nearly all the guests on the night were drunk especially the players i.e. Jacob Surjan & Aaron Shattock.
The speeches made by Roger was kept very brief but managed to impress everyone. Matty Primus' speech was very inspiring and quite sad. When he was about to make his speech, he almost broke down in front of everyone. Poult's speech was kept short as well cause as we all know he didnt play much but will still be considered be around, playing for the Magpies.
I reckon this year's best and fairest was a lot better than last year and they should keep up this effort of making it bigger and better

Here are some photos from the night.
http://photobucket.com/albums/a122/dee_cochrane26/?

You need to use [ brackets, not (

Remove this Banner Ad

2005 Best & Fairest Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back