2006 Rookie Draft Revisited

Remove this Banner Ad

Cracker of a rookie draft, IMHO. Say you were the recruiting manager for GC17, who of these players would you select?

Poll will include highlights, sorry if I've overlooked anyone. Please feel free to select "other" and specify your selection.

Re-drafts and international rookies etc. not included in the poll as they weren't available to all. Same is probably true of zone selections, but geez I'd be here all day. :p

Jamison or Wellingham.

I went with Sharrod because I have massive expectations of him. He has the talent to become something special.

Both of those guys appear to have the goods, but there are quite a few players on that list who are currently carving out AFL careers in fine style. Jones and Geary for the Saints, Harbrow for the Dogs, Campbell for the Roos, Lonergan for the Cats came close to a flag... it's not clear-cut.

Jamison, Jones, Campell, Geary, Wellingham, Lonergan.

In that order, even with my bias Jamison easily 1st, Jones easily 2nd. Bit of a gap then imo.

Jamison playing a tougher position than any of the others and doing it very well.....can find small forwards a lot easier than an above average FB

Jamison, Jones or Harbrown.

Went with Jamison as he is a very good young FB and will be for some time, Harbrow next, extremely underrated, third Jones as he's also playing well.

Jones, Jamison, Geary and Campbell are the standouts so far.

Very happy with Wellingham though, in the past month has shown he has what it takes to develop into a top line classy midfielder.
Agreed, Harbrow too. Looks like Jake King has received two sympathy votes.

Jamison leading the poll at this stage, and understandably so. Given that he's got two years on the others, I wonder if he might come back to the field in the next couple of years though.

What about Ben Hughes? he was on our rookie list from '06

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Campbell, Harbrow and Jamison are the top three. Jones is also up there, but he isn't a player I like too much and as such, misses out on the top 3.

If I had to pick one for Melbourne, it would probably be Harbrow.

Id go Jamison at this stage. He is the type of player Freo needs (young key defender)
Macaffer goes ok though from Collingwood. What do the Pie supporters on here think about him? Suprised no one has at least mentioned him

Id go Jamison at this stage. He is the type of player Freo needs (young key defender)
Macaffer goes ok though from Collingwood. What do the Pie supporters on here think about him? Suprised no one has at least mentioned him
MacAffer is a talent, but he's a small/med forward and he has to compete with Medhurst and Anthony as marking forwards, and Dick, Thomas, Didak and Davis as far as crumbers go. I dare say he'd be a regular starter in many other teams.

Also, most of us think that Wellingham is a very promising player indeed, and probably ahead of MacAffer within our own team, let alone the other contenders across the draft.

On talent and exposed form it has to be

1 - Jamison
2 - Geary
3 - Harbrow

I'm actually surprised Saints (or other fans) voted for Clinton Jones more then Geary, Jones is a handy player, but Geary is going to be a very very good player, has been such an rapid improver this season for st.kilda

Harbrow had 31 possessions in a win last night, I think he's the current standout from this draft now. However Wellingham was freakish yesterday and made us wonder all the more why he was dropped the week before. He will be one of the best players from the 2006 draft, let alone rookie draft.

Unfair to Jamison at the moment as he's out for the season, but they'd be my top three.

If you're starting from scratch, like GC17 are, then you take the key back first everytime. Jamison that is. Who will be better out of Jamison, Wellingham, Jones, Geary and Hrbrow is up for debate but it's a lot easier to find smaller players capable of filling minor roles.

Remove this Banner Ad

2006 Rookie Draft Revisited

Remove this Banner Ad

Back