2007, 2009, 2011, 2022 - which flag was most memorable for you

Remove this Banner Ad

2007 easily.

Growing up in 80s and 90s, Geelong were just not a 'premiership' team. Good honest battlers, never really s**t, fun team to follow though. I always wondered if winning a flag, after that, I would be somehow 'different' as a person. The world would be just a bit different somehow.

Cast your mind back to what it was like before 2007. The Nick Davis game. The threats to move us to Docklands. The hope of 89 and 92. The disappointment of 94 and 95. I bought the ******* DVD for the pre-season GF win against the Crows for crying out loud, went out and had a massive night.

Does anyone truly remember all of that?

Then one year, we were excellent. Out of this world. The only (until then) 200+ score since quarters were shortened. That win against West Coast at KP. Getting excited by a close low scoring win away against Adelaide!

The beers at the London Tavern on a sunny Sunday afternoon after a very exciting QF win over North. (Finals a different, unknown beast until then)

Pacing up and down the aisles in the Northern Stand in the last quarter of the PF. MCC members turned away - full. 98 friggen thousand people. A close win for the ages.

Grand Final. Walk to my mate's for breakfast. Walk to the MCG and take a seat alone in the AFL members. Mooney mark and goal. Steve Johnson alone 20m out. Ablett intercept. Ottens run down.

Second quarter, and the Nokia is going off every few seconds with text messages from people I haven't talked to in ages. (Remember, Geelong was not a 'premiership' team back then). Rooke's goal - surely we have it.

Half time - not with my mates and surrounded by neutrals telling me we've got it. I'm not ready to call it and grab some chips - just something to deal with nerves, the beer line is too long.

Third quarter - demolition. Fourth - taking the piss, trying to get a goal for King, the crowd chanting "Geeeeeeloooooong". The siren. No matter what from now, I'll always have this.

Back home. Spray champagne all over my mates. Head down to Geelong for a massive night-day-night again.

The world has been just a bit different ever since.
Me too watched it just recently.

Last edited:
I think for me it’s 2022, because as a younger cats fan it’s really the only time I’ve been through a “oh so close but so far” period of 10 years where we kept making finals, prelims, lose, lose the 2020 GF, start to think “This group can’t do it”, then we achieve it in glorious fashion last year & now that we’ve broken that hoodoo, 2023 & 2024 also presents itself as more chances at premiership success.

The other flags were all memorable, I probably have 2009 at 2nd, followed by 2011 & then 2007.

2007 was the drought breaking flag and I can understand the older Geelong fans cherishing it, I was only 14 for that one, so it comes in at 4th.

2007 was the drought breaking flag and I can understand the older Geelong fans cherishing it, I was only 14 for that one, so it comes in at 4th.
I know there is more to life than footy, but the term "difficult teenage years" must have a completely different meaning to you than to us at the tail end of Gen X.

I know there is more to life than footy, but the term "difficult teenage years" must have a completely different meaning to you than to us at the tail end of Gen X.

From the age of 10-11, I’ve only ever known Geelong to be a decent to great football side. I’m 29 now, can’t complain at all.

2009 for me. I think the Saints that year were the best team we beat for a GF in the recent era, and I was shitfaced halfway through the 2007 match so honestly don't remember it that well!
Coll and the saints were easily the toughest team and dare I say the saints were extremely unlucky to be able to stand up in the 4th to win it

I voted equal 1st 09 and 22

One other major thing i like about the 22 flag - is Geel had the long drought - and alot keep saying that - but every other team in the comp have had long droughts ( some still experiencing them - and who knows when they will end )

But Geel after the drought - had the purple patch of 3 flags in 5 years - but until season 2022 that was it - i really like the fact that Geelong have won another premiership some 11 years later

And following on from that point - it would thus be utterly fantastic - if the Cats just keep winning regular ( say no 15 year plus drought in between ) Premierships - that would be great

2007-Relief. Emotion.
2009-Proved we weren't handbaggers.
2011-The cherry on top. Meatloaf. Doms got a medal.
2022-Vindication for the lost years. All those players finally getting there.

There all brilliant all for different reasons. I love all my premiership children equally.

It would have been criminal for that side to walk away from 3 years of absolute dominance with 1 flag - it would have been comparable to Essendon of 1999,2000,2001 (which are hardly remembered at all)
As much as I loved that 2009 win, I'd have traded that to beat the Hawks the year before. The Saints were as equally deserving to win that year.

I think your personal rating is sometimes influenced by where you are, and who you're with. For me, 09 and 22. Obviously footy nirvana is reached if lucky enough to be at the MCG. But as ever, as sure as God wears sandals, the AFL Corporate trolls mean so many true supporters miss out.

2007, with family, pacing the back yard at the last change, still not able to believe it. What a wait. What a smashing.

2009, present in some pocket of MCG seats where the rain was invisible, and before the toe poke, resigned to going home and watching the 2007 well worn DVD, again. Crowd were quiet, tense. A grinding, gutsy, surprising win, with STK last minute chances blown. Loved lip reading Lyons -We had them all flipping day, until the last. Haha.

2011. At MCG watched us obliterate Pies in the last H&A and knew we were on. Couldnt get GF tix. Score mattered little, we got them again, and the silverware.

2022. Wheelchair bay, front of standing room. Ticket 9057 in a total disability allotment of 10,000. Most ecstatic day of my life. Everything that could go right, did. Enhanced by the unknown kid beside us, who screamed for every Cats play, and orchestrated the crowd, loudly commentating the game, absolutely hilarious and footy smart, too. Coppers came and stood over us, sniffing the noise, so I told them he was my son, and all was fine.
And it was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2007 easily. After 1995 I genuinely thought I would never see a Cats flag. Four grand final losses from 1989-95 was gut wrenching for us Catters who saw them. Being a Croweater and a Norwood man, the fact it was Port we absolutely bent over in a near perfect display was the icing on the sweetest of cakes.

I’m lucky enough to have attended 4 Grand Finals in my life.
2007, 2009, 2011 and 2022. I couldn’t get tickets for 2008 or 2020 for obvious reasons.
2022 is hands down the best day I’ve ever had at the footy.
2007 was remarkable. Never thought I’d see us win one.
2011 was such a great game. Capped off by a brilliant last quarter.
2009 was such a grinding game. The weather was atrocious and that last quarter was so tense. St Kilda were the better team all day and were unlucky they came up against a team who had their hearts ripped out the previous year.
But they had 2 chances the following year and blew them both.

After watching loss after loss from 89 to 95, 07 was incredible. 22 was also incredible because I doubted Scott could pull it off. 09 was special because we just kept at it and that centre toe poke was amazing.

2007 easily.

Growing up in 80s and 90s, Geelong were just not a 'premiership' team. Good honest battlers, never really s**t, fun team to follow though. I always wondered if winning a flag, after that, I would be somehow 'different' as a person. The world would be just a bit different somehow.

Cast your mind back to what it was like before 2007. The Nick Davis game. The threats to move us to Docklands. The hope of 89 and 92. The disappointment of 94 and 95. I bought the ******* DVD for the pre-season GF win against the Crows for crying out loud, went out and had a massive night.

Does anyone truly remember all of that?

Then one year, we were excellent. Out of this world. The only (until then) 200+ score since quarters were shortened. That win against West Coast at KP. Getting excited by a close low scoring win away against Adelaide!

The beers at the London Tavern on a sunny Sunday afternoon after a very exciting QF win over North. (Finals a different, unknown beast until then)

Pacing up and down the aisles in the Northern Stand in the last quarter of the PF. MCC members turned away - full. 98 friggen thousand people. A close win for the ages.

Grand Final. Walk to my mate's for breakfast. Walk to the MCG and take a seat alone in the AFL members. Mooney mark and goal. Steve Johnson alone 20m out. Ablett intercept. Ottens run down.

Second quarter, and the Nokia is going off every few seconds with text messages from people I haven't talked to in ages. (Remember, Geelong was not a 'premiership' team back then). Rooke's goal - surely we have it.

Half time - not with my mates and surrounded by neutrals telling me we've got it. I'm not ready to call it and grab some chips - just something to deal with nerves, the beer line is too long.

Third quarter - demolition. Fourth - taking the piss, trying to get a goal for King, the crowd chanting "Geeeeeeloooooong". The siren. No matter what from now, I'll always have this.

Back home. Spray champagne all over my mates. Head down to Geelong for a massive night-day-night again.

The world has been just a bit different ever since.
You've captured my experience very well. The 2006 NAB win was huge (2004 loss equally disappointing). 2002 VFL win I had tears! And then it all built to 2007. Such a great journey with that young crew of stars and then they just delivered for a decade........and then Selwood keeps us hanging in there for another decade and we ****in win again! The last 20 years of supporting this club has been amazing!

Has to be 2011 because we beat Collingwood and I still remember their arrogance from the previous 12 months like it was yesterday, not to mention the fact they smashed us 12 months earlier which was followed by us losing our coach and our best player.

2007 was a euphoric fairyland, but like John "pig's arse" Elliott, who was MC'ing the event I was at, I was so gassed by half time that I don't really remember much about it.

2009 was the most exciting. I broke the slats on my couch and went through the base while jumping up and down like an idiot as Harry took that saving mark. That grand final had absolutely everything and is still my favorite. Chappy, what a gun.

2011 was the most complete display of skills and I was never in doubt we were going to win it. The DVD is in my car stereo and I'll always put it on if I have to wait for someone and have a few minutes to spare. Never fails to cheer me up. Loved Stevie J, the squirting water bottle and the "**** you Taz" at the end.

2022 is my "in retrospect" GF. I wasn't expecting much from the felines at the start of the season and I only appreciated how utterly ruthless and complete a side they were in about December after I reviewed all the games. That was a fearsome unit. Like many people, I owe Chris Scott a huge apology for taking his name in vain many times. And Joel Selwood ... it was the Selwood GF. I blubbered on a number of occasions, especially during his final press conference.

I'm so glad my dad worked for Alcoa over in Perth in the 80s. They backed the Cats, and so did I, the only little kid at school who did. A very wise choice that has given me intense pleasure over the years.

WOW! Tough question! They are all memorable.

2007 was the premiership that allayed my fear I’d never see a Geelong premiership in my lifetime, so it was so significant. 2022 was a lot like 2007. After repeated finals failures it was so significant to win the 2022 GF and in such an emphatic fashion.

2009 was vindication for the 2008 loss and arguably one of the greatest GF’s ever.

I was overseas in 2011. I booked a holiday in early 2011 thinking/believing the hype that Geelong was too old and too slow to win the premiership.

In summary, 2007 and 2022 are probably the most memorable for me.

Great post, but far out that 2006 season was almost soul destroying. From early 2004 you could feel us building, some finals wins, some painful finals losses, and then the 2006 season.

Felt a little like it might have all been for nothing. Some absolutely dire performances that year.

Remove this Banner Ad

2007, 2009, 2011, 2022 - which flag was most memorable for you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back