2008 Backline

Remove this Banner Ad

patty_453

Debutant
Sep 12, 2007
Wales
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With the inclusion of Sam Power and the potential development of Lachlen Hansen who will be in the starting back six next year??

This, to me - looks like a backline to die for:

FB: Pratt Firrito Gibson
HB: Smith Petrie Hansen

Has it all - height, run, skill, composure, toughness, each will help the other, all love backing into a pack....

but Smith can add a lot to the midfield, so Riggio/Trotter/Power/ Lower (prefer Lower on ball) could push for his spot and Watt will start in front of Hansen and it will be up to Hansen to take it over.

Has it all - height, run, skill, composure, toughness, each will help the other, all love backing into a pack....

but Smith can add a lot to the midfield, so Riggio/Trotter/Power/ Lower (prefer Lower on ball) could push for his spot and Watt will start in front of Hansen and it will be up to Hansen to take it over.

There are alot of things to consider with our backline now. I think petrie would be better at full back and the spud couls play a role similar to what arch did this year. Watt will definately start there but i think hansen is going to be our centre half back in the long term so the sooner he can get into the team the better.

Lots of options which means good competition for spots!!

As good as that backline is, it won't stop an opposition side that is dominating us in the midfield. We must improve in that area, which is why I think Smith needs to move up to a wing (with Wells on the other one), with Firrito replacing him on the HBF. I have no problem at all with Spud takling over as our rebounding defender. May also see Simpson dropping back to play that floating backman role played so well by Arch.

I agree that Watt will start in front of Hansen - but Hansen may well be in front of Power or whoever else is contesting the last spoot in the back 6.

The best defence will rely on having the best midfield in front of it ... and we're probably one class player short there at the moment. Either get Grant a better fitness base to run out games (although he is probably a little old for it now) or we need someone to take big steps forward in 08 - Swallow / Lower / Adams could be one of them.

Id play Hansen on a forward flank next year rather than down back....

B Pratt Gibson Lower
HB Sinclair Petrie Firitto

Riggio and Power in the mix for roles as well if Sinclair, Lower or Firitto move into midfield roles.
Simpson to play loose man in the backline when required.

As good as that backline is, it won't stop an opposition side that is dominating us in the midfield. We must improve in that area, which is why I think Smith needs to move up to a wing (with Wells on the other one), with Firrito replacing him on the HBF. I have no problem at all with Spud takling over as our rebounding defender. May also see Simpson dropping back to play that floating backman role played so well by Arch.

I agree....Didnt read this before I posted my backline but it seems we think the same way

WRONG! Shocking Backline.

Let me correct this -

Pratt Petrie Gibson
Lower Firrito Simpson

Hansen rotating in and out as needed.

This is our best back line taking all things into consideration.

WRONG! Shocking Backline.

Let me correct this -

Pratt Petrie Gibson
Lower Firrito Simpson

Hansen rotating in and out as needed.

This is our best back line taking all things into consideration.

I feel Petrie is better suited to CHB where he can back into packs and fill gaps as a tall marking KPP.
Firitto is wasted at CHB just like he was at FB. He is the best 2008 model of David King that we have. He is destined for a HBF where he can get into space and break the lines.
Simpson as a HBF has merit but for me he would get shown up for lack of pace if he had to play close. He is best suited to a loose man role (7th backline player)

There is no real CHB/FB - Petrie, Gibson and Firrito should rotate on the power forwards according to type and their different strengths.

Petrie would play on Mooney as a CHB, and play on Rocca as a fullback and Lade as a resting forward ruck.

We need to have a couple of players that can rebound off a HB flank and create play. Firrito was our man in terms of running bounces, Smith was high up there in terms of the freakish side steps.

But with Smith out of the backline for good, atleast I hope, we need other runners. This is where Riggio and Lower come into it, ideally I'd love Lower in the guts as he is our most composed player (Or atleast just as good as JWS).

I like the look of Zebras backline, but if that goes ahead, we need to draft a CHF or 3 in this draft,

I feel Petrie is better suited to CHB where he can back into packs and fill gaps as a tall marking KPP.

Look, it's horses for courses, but in a classical forward set up we would have to go with Drew. I would also like to see him out at CHB or as better yet, as a drifting 3rd tall, but the club did not address the gaping key defensive whole in the recent draft and Hansen is the only other candidate and is still years away size wise. Drew is the only blokle we have that can physically go with a big bloke toe to toe or have any spoiling capacity spoiling a lead. He is the only big defender we have that is good at getting a late hand in to spoil chest marks. Spud got constantly caught out this way. He is a good body on body overhead punch but he just doesn't have those telescopic arms that real good spoiling defenders have.

Firitto is wasted at CHB just like he was at FB. He is the best 2008 model of David King that we have. He is destined for a HBF where he can get into space and break the lines.

I think Spud gives us the best of both worlds here, as he has the size and mobility to go with the modern CHF's and his rebounding power is far more damaging further upfield. He would also add physical presence to centre clearances with his dash in off the line.The Motlop and Farmer flanker types would be way too agile for him.

Simpson as a HBF has merit but for me he would get shown up for lack of pace if he had to play close. He is best suited to a loose man role (7th backline player)

I can agree with that, but I can't agree with questioning the engine of a 10 year run with onballer as compared to half forward flankers. His move to the back line gives us the experience we need back there with Arch's departure. His ability in close cannot be questioned, neither is his capacity to intelligently read the play and link up. He also brings a very good defensive aerial capacity to the position.

Simmos move back also allows us to fast track the Adams, Thomas, Campbell, Power, Davies, Ross types in through the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have to realise there are no more fullbacks anymore.

The best backman usually gets the best forward, if not it goes on type. You wont see Petrie playing on Riewoldt or Pavlich etc. You will find he will play on the bigger slower and good contested mark types.

Spud and Gibbo will get the other two aswell going on type.

Same goes for Geelong, Egan gets the best defender allowing Scarlett to rebound and play off the lesser likes.

Back: Pratt Gibson Watt

H/B: Firrito Petrie Power

Petrie can play as our Adam Hunter style swing man, with Hansen being on the I/C/fORWARD line rotating back when required to cover for this.

Tell me GK, who do you see holding down that position, short and long term?

I don't have an answer. I was hoping we would recruit a key backman but that din't happen.
I don't think Spud is a long term full back and has too many goals kicked on him. Don't get me wrong. He is a 100% goer and I love him as a footballer but would like to see him moved to the mid field or running of flanks.
I just think if we are too improve we need a key backman to release spud.

Back: Pratt Gibson Watt

H/B: Firrito Petrie Power

Petrie can play as our Adam Hunter style swing man, with Hansen being on the I/C/fORWARD line rotating back when required to cover for this.

no no no to Power , let him prove something 1st before he gets in the side let alone the starting 18

Wait till we actually pick up the players in the ND before making up the backline. We may get a FB or KP defender.

Name a ready made full back that is going to be in the ND and we should definately pick them up. We need one for sure but i dont see a kid playing full back in the first round of the year.

Name a ready made full back that is going to be in the ND and we should definately pick them up. We need one for sure but i dont see a kid playing full back in the first round of the year.

Scott Thompson from Geelong's VFL side.

I would love to put firrito on the ball, but we don't have that luxury.

My back six would be between

Gibson Firrito Pratt Petrie Power/Sinclair Hansen Watt Riggio

On experience Watt would be ahead of Riggio and Hansen, but they need some gametime, especially Hansen. He looked a bit shell-shocked playing in the AFL, but if he gets used to it, he'll settle i reckon.

I would through Lower and Jesse into the midfield i reckon. Lower gives us some hardness and composure, he was awesome against Port. And we need Jesse's run down the wing.

Firrito gave us some good run off half-back with his dashes forward. So maybe put him at CHB. Also, we really need his tackling pressure.

We also need pace through the midfield, so maybe sansbury or campbell or thomas. If not they can play as defensive forwards and crumbing forwards,

This year we should draft midfielders with heaps of pace, we definitely lack that. A fit Wells and the addition of Jesse will help. Power is pretty quick as well.

And key position defenders for sure. We don't need any small defenders. Just need some tall ones to develop. But Petrie and Firrito will have to do the job for now.

I would take our first pick as a KP Defender? What do you guys think? Then next pick a quick midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

2008 Backline

Remove this Banner Ad

Back