Fantasy 2009 BigFooty Mock Draft - Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: BF Mock Draft: 2009

With pick #24 the Atlanta Falcons select:

Tyson Jackson - DE - LSU
6-5 290lbs.

With basically everybody I was hoping for off the board already I've gone with one of the last remaining 5 star rated prospects from Scout.com. Ideally if the draft comes out like it has here I would suspect the Falcons might entertain the notion of trading down and grabbing an extra pick or two.

Most mocks have us taking Pettigrew here but I believe that our defense is a MUCH greater need than a TE at the moment and while Pettigrew is regarded as the best in the nation I believe we can get good production out of our current TE's and/or just pick up a veteran in FA to help at the position. (GM Thomas Dimitroff has said that a pass catching TE will be picked up either through the draft or free agency.)

Onto Tyson Jackson. This is Scout.com's quick take on him:
Jackson is a versatile defender who can play inside or outside on the defensive line. He has outstanding size and a quick burst off the line. He’s strong at the point of attack and sheds blocks cleanly to make plays in the backfield. He has the quickness to beat the opposition off the edge or to dominate with his strength and technique. - Chris Steuber, Scout.com

With our top draft pick of two years ago Jamaal Anderson still continuing to struggle, Jackson will provide valuable insurance at the DE spot if Anderson cannot get it together. Also provides an extra body to rotate through the DT position, another area that is very thin with the departure of Grady Jackson to Detroit, and if the plan to move Jamaal Anderson inside to DT at times this season (he is actually pretty good against the run) eventuates, Jackson can then be moved into his natural DE position.

Other players considered: Larry English (this was the guy I was targetting here, damn you Jem :cool:) Clint Sintim-LB Virginia, DJ Moore-CB Vanderbilt

With pick 25, the Miami Dolphins select ...

Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest

The Dolphins have questionable options at cornerback presently, and matching with Bill Parcells' draft history of typically taking defensive players on the secondary in the first round, I went with a cornerback. Vontae Davis is generally regarded as the highest rated corner in the draft but he was snapped up early by Denver, so Smith represents the best pick available. He holds the ACC record for most interceptions and boasts a quick 40 time and despite the size he gives up (5'9/193lbs) he has never been one to shy away from tackles, his speed giving him the ability to close down running options and recovery time to make tackles on receivers.

With Pick #26 the Baltimore Ravens select:

James Laurinaitis - Linebacker - Ohio State

With CB also a concern I could have easily settled for a CB at this spot, especially with Samari Rolle being cut recently. With V.Davis and Jenkins (CB/S) off the board, and the Dolphins taking Alphonso Smith at 25, I look to cover the gap at ILB left by Bart Scott. Some Mock's also have us taking a WR at this spot to help Joe Flacco.

Laurinaitis is consistently selected as the #2 ILB behind Maualuga and I slot him in next to Ray Lewis for the next few years, before he himself becomes a leader of my club. He's consistently good, can go sideline-to-sideline (4.24 at the Combine) to make tackles and is pretty good in pass coverage. His character is also clean.

Cant pass on a player of this calibre, especially with what he will learn playing next to Ray Lewis.

With the #27 Pick, the Colts will take:

Ron Brace, DT, Boston College

Been able to think about this for a few days. Really two majors needs for the Colts, WR and DT. The loss of Marvin Harrison at WR really does leave a hole to be filled. Even though there are still a couple of guys I would pick up I think the major problem for the Colts last season was the run defense. They were ranked 24th in rusing yards allowed, not a good stat for a team that made the playoffs. Look at what Sproles did against the Colts in that playoff game, it's obivously their biggest need.

Ron Brace fits the type of mould that the Colts need, a big guy that can stop the run well. Choice the Colts had to make there.

Now that the Eagles have satisified their line fetish they can look elsewhere for their next pick:

Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State

The Eagles bring in Beanie, who IMO has more upside than Moreno, to team up with Brian Westbrook in a 2 back rushing attack that seems to be all the rage right now.

Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina

I have posted my reasoning else where on the board so I don't really feel like doing it all again :p

IMHO Plax won't be back, and even if he does, we need someone who can back him up if 1) he does something stupid again and 2) to replace Toomer as a number 2 (Steve Smith is nice but I would prefer him in his current role)

None of the remaining LBers entirce me enouch to replace Pierce, will probably grab a second tierd MLB in the second sometime.

With the 30th pick of the draft, the Tennessee Titans take:

Michael Johnson, DE
, Georgia Tech

With Javon Kearse getting older and Kyle Vanden Bosch being injured last year, the Titans could do with a physical pass rusher. Other Titan's needs include CB, DT and WR and considered Sean Smith, Percy Harvin at this pick but like the athleticism of Johnson at DE as a great fit.

Arizona select: Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia

Pretty obvious defeicency really. Edge is done and is very doubtful to be on the roster come opening day and as solid as Hightower is he looks more your 3rd down type back then an every down runner.

Moreno had a solid year @ Georgia and fits the mould of what we need to provide a little help to our passing game and take the pressure off Warner. His combine wasn't that impressive so that obviously helped him fall, i see him as a 1000 yard back straight up if given the workload.

Was also considering a few other positions, a LB from USC was one to think about and a C and DE also came under consideration. But with this glaring weakness it was an easy decision in the end.

ahh WTF. I have great protection now for Dante or at least semi decent protection for Jay. Now lets make this offense one to be feared.

With the 33rd pick in the draft the Detroit Lions take...

Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State

St Louis Rams select....

Eben Britton, OT, Arizona

This guy is a top 5 OT in a strong class, his draft stock has risen to a mid first rounder. The ultimate athletic OT, he will be a serviceable player in the future. Has a few concerns with his short arm span. Only 21 years old, he has a lot of growing to do. At 6-6 and 310 pounds, he is a physical beast. The best part about this guy, he can play anywhere on the O-Line and should fit into any shifting about Spags will do next season.

(Unfortunately, I doubt he will drop this far, he is predicted to go as high as 18)

Cleveland Browns select...

Percy Harvin, WR, Florida

With Pettigrew gone, this was an easy choice. Harvin has sure fire Top 10 level talent but he is injured a lot. He is the best player left on the board be it as a receiver or returns man.

Also with the Stallworth saga and whether he will be back or not and Edwards needing help on the other side of the field to take pressure off him, Harvin fits a need. And thats assuming Edwards isnt going to be traded to the ummmm (Giants maybe?).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seattle Seahawks select......... EVANDER "ZIGGY" HOOD, DE/DT, MISSOURI

The battle is won in the trenches and with the offensive line sorted, the defense becomes the focus. Hood is a versatile weapon who can play end or tackle. Is a hard working team leader who can slot in straight away and has all the tools to become a very good player at the NFL level.

Not sure if this guy is a reach, but given our problems with the secondary (especially after Rashean Mathis got hurt), Jacksonville select:

Victor Harris, CB, Virginia Tech.

With the 42nd pick the Buffalo Bills select...

Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee

Would have loved for Pettigrew to slip but there was no chance of that happening. Even though we took Maybin in teh first round, we see Ayers as the type of guy who could play DE or bulk up and play DT. Could even play as a Strongside LB. His stock is quickly rising and could be seen as a bargain this late.

With pick 44, the Miami Dolphins select ...

Tyrone McKenzie, OLB, South Florida

hought I posted this last night...

Either way...

With the 45th pick the Giants select

LeSean McCoy, RB, DA BURGH

You just don't pass up on this sort of talent this late... Will give Bradshaw a bit o' competition for 'Wind', is a nice change of pace to Jacobs brutality... Bradshaw is still iffy and has a few misdemeanours to his name and the very deep man still has to prove himself (Though I still like the look of him) in Danny Ware.

You don't pass on McCoy for a MLB that COULD turn out nicely but isn't as talented, and who in all likelihood will still be there at our next pick.

Apologies for the hold up :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantasy 2009 BigFooty Mock Draft - Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back