the_champ_2004

All Australian
Oct 11, 2004
Here ther and Everywhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
did a quick look for the tread that would've linked to Malthouse comments or Conolly's article but couldn't find one so started this.

There has been a bit written and spoken about our 2010 dynasty that wasn't. I've had a look at what actually happened to that list and if it really was Buckley that broke it up or what happened.

1 Leon Davis - retired after 2011. Didn't meet his contract demands. Neither Perth club signed him.
2 Sean Rusling - injury forced retirement.
3 John McCarthy - lack of opportunity forced him to go elsewhere.
4 Alan Didak - maybe moved on one or two seasons too early. Wouldn't have won a flag or challenged still had we retained him anyway.
5 Nick Maxwell - got every bit out of himself and retired.
6 Tyson Goldsack - still at club
7 Paul Medhurst - retired from the game shortly after.
8 Harry O’Brien - had a disagreement with not only Buckley but the club and other players.
9 John Anthony - marginal player that year that moved to Freo.
10 Scott Pendlebury - captain. Does what he likes.
11 Shane O’Bree - marginal player. Retired.
12 Luke Ball - did his knee in 2012 and struggled after that before retiring in 2014. Would've loved to see him longer but I feel had he continued he would've been playing VFL and he doesn't belong there.
13 Dale Thomas - disciple of Malthouse. Followed him to Carlton.
14 Anthony Corrie - did he play for us?
15 Leigh Brown - wouldn't have won the flag without him I think. Retired after 2011.
16 Nathan Brown - still at club, no contract for next year though.
17 Dayne Beams - requested to be traded to Brisbane.
18 Darren Jolly - opinionated and wasn't a good influence in the dressing room. Players have commented on his poor attitude and how he was always right. That being said we needed him so badly to win the flag, his injury was a big factor in us not going back to back.
19 Cameron Wood - moved on eventually. Pick 14 for him? Really?
20 Ben Reid - has played about 2 games for the club since then due to injury but our best defender.
21 Sharrod Wellingham - got a big offer to go back to Perth and jump on a trampoline after 2012.
22 Steele Sidebottom - still going strong.
24 Tarkyn Lockyer - marginal player. Retired after the season.
25 Josh Fraser - the player we lost to GC.
26 Ben Johnson - played on and got every ounce out of himself. Wasn't moved on early.
27 Jarrad Blight - can we have this pick again?
28 Ben Sinclair - still playing ones when he isn't coping head knocks.
29 Ryan Cook - moved on, not missed.
30 Brent Macaffer - played on, moved to midfield then had knee troubles. Recently retired.
31 Chris Dawes - played one season after bucks then asked to be traded, scared out of the club by Quinten Lynch. Talk he will be moved on by Melbourne which doesn't exactly scream a player you could trust in a team wanting to constantly stay at the top of the ladder.
32 Travis Cloke - still at club, past his best now.
33 Brad Dick - never really locked in a best 22 spot. Went on to the Eagles list.
34 Alan Toovey - recently retired. Was never the same after his knee injury.
35 Simon Prestigiacomo - this grand final should've been his last game.
36 Dane Swan - went on to win a few medals and would get a kick every now and then. Freak injury retired him.
37 Luke Rounds - stayed around for a bit but never cemented a spot.
38 Scott Reed* - I think NSW scholarship holder not much on him.
39 Heath Shaw - yes he is still a great player and all Australian but was openly against Buckley and you can't let the tail wag the dog. Buckley said on SEN that he initially faced problems with having the dressing room which has now improved. I have no doubt Shaw moving on was a big factor.
40 Josh Thomas - career was looking up then he took a two year holiday.
41 Simon Buckley - recycled player that was only ever backup.
43 Jaxson Barham - got plenty of the ball on debut but nothing after that. Poorly spelt first name.
44 Lachlan Keeffe* - took a holiday with Thomas after a showing little promise.
45 Thomas Hunter* - got nothing.
46 Tristan Francis* - got nothing.
47 Jarryd Blair* - still on list. Gives his all week in week out. Is under no illusion he's a limited footballer.
50 Seamus McNamara* - not as good as our current American. Never played a game. Main thing I remember him for is speaking to the media about our drug culture at the club.

Now what we got out of those that moved on.

O'Brien/Lumumba - Varcoe. We win here.

Thomas - Sharenberg or Freeman - could be one or the other. Technically traded the daisy selection to the Eagles and picked up Sharenberg with 6. Could easily count Freeman as the player though. Freeman is busy even though he did help us get Aish with the pick we got for him. Sharenberg did his knee after recovering from feet issues. Thomas had injury riddled seasons before coming good this year. Suspect Daisy wasn't the biggest fan of Buckley.

Beams - De Goey, Crisp, Greenwood. Hard to replace a star midfielder like beams but these three were best 22 most of this year and last year so that's a win.

Dawes/Wellingham - Kennedy/Broomhead - as I've said Dawes isn't setting the world alight but Wellingham is a good player at the Eagles still. Not a star midfielder but a good player each week. Kennedy was used along with Seedsman to get us Howe.

Fraser - can't remember what happened to our compensation pick.

Shaw - Adams - as good as Shaw is Adams gives us leadership. I'd hate to see our midfield for a season without him. We did pretty well here.

So any that we have moved on we have either won out on or are close to par. If close to par I know that if you look at AFL lists in five years time with how those players are doing at that point in time we will be in front.

Clearly what has hurt is Thomas and Beams leaving presuming both would've been fully fit. I have no problem however moving in players that aren't on board with the club direction. Buckley said as much last week in SEN interview. Also a factor is the misses we had with free agency.

Good analysis, Maxwell and Johnson both retired part way through their last seasons due to injury, Hunter retired at 20 due to a neck injury and Medhurst was very close to redrafted after Malthouse departed.

Looking over the list only Pendlebury, Swan, Sidebottom, Beams, Sinclair and Reid (this season) really kicked or maintained their form a few years after the flag. Shaw and possibly Wellingham have at other clubs. Brown, Blair, Goldsack and Toovey remained solid role players. Amazing how many careers have been significantly affected by injuries too, I count 13 - Rusling, Maxwell, Ball, D Thomas, Reid, Fraser, Johnson, Sinclair, Macaffer, Dick, Toovey, Swan and Hunter. An argument could be made for Beams, Rounds and Goldsack although their injuries weren't as serious.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought we got pick 16/Grundy from West Coast for Wellingham. A massive win for us.

This year proves just how important Adams is to the team, we function a lot better with him in the team. As much as I love Heater, Adams is a much better long term prospect.

Lolz @ J.Thomas & L.Keeffe taking a 2 year holiday. It was to South America if I'm not mistaken.

Great assessment of situation of player movement the last few years.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought we got pick 16/Grundy from West Coast for Wellingham. A massive win for us.

This year proves just how important Adams is to the team, we function a lot better with him in the team. As much as I love Heater, Adams is a much better long term prospect.

Lolz @ J.Thomas & L.Keeffe taking a 2 year holiday. It was to South America if I'm not mistaken.

Great assessment of situation of player movement the last few years.
I counted Grundy as the selection we would've had therefore Broomhead and Kennedy were the traded pick selections. Thought if I put Grundy in then people would say I was looking too favourably on the changes.

Fair list that, took some serious building. 2012 and 2013 were good lists too. Dynasty chances destroyed by 2014.
Ok I'll challenge you on this, who has been moved on since 2010 that would've won us a flag or helped us finish top 4 since then?

You can't compare us to Geelong or Hawthorn because we didn't lose our star like Ablett or Franklin. When they left it stopped an exodus of players squeezed out for salary cap, similar to Adelaide. Thomas and Beams were good but not in the vicinity of Ablett or Franklin in either standing in our side or salary.

Really good analysis by OP.
It's now 6 years hence and overall we havnt really lost from the movement (we have lost by the level of elite we lack thereof).

The biggest loss was Shaw absolutely BUT he needed the move as much as we needed him to depart. He won from this. GWS won the trade BUT we also WON with Adams. Happy enough and longer term it's fair enough happy enough trade.

Beams now looks a win for us, Beams seems injured (can he blame Davoren?)
We gained De Goey so I will happily take that long term plus Crisp etc.

The interesting one is the draft early picks of Scharenberg and Free,an.
Today it's a bust. That's today. Now we await the hopeful play of Scharenberg? Jury out this far but if he becomes a fine player. The bust would turn into a win.

Not sad Lumuba is gone, he invented, get ball, dash off, take one step to many.... Cough ball to opposing team.

Thomas, injuries mean we've won on that and saved salary cap money.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2010 Dynasty That Wasn't

Remove this Banner Ad

Back