Carlton v Richmond (Melbourne Cricket Ground) 60,654
Geelong v St Kilda (MCG) 42,869
Collingwood v Port Adelaide (Docklands Stadium) 35,773
Adelaide v Hawthorn (Football Park) 42,536
Brisbane v Fremantle (Brisbane Cricket Ground aka the Gabba) 23,373
Essendon v Western Bulldogs (Docklands) 42,617
Melbourne v Sydney (MCG) 33,951
West Coast v North Melbourne (Subiaco Oval) 35,878

Not a bad home crowd for the wooden spooners against a small interstate side.

AFL might be a bit dissapointed with the first round attendences. Most of the games should have got more than they got. It's round one! Pretty good quality round of football though.

Melb V Syd almost as much as Coll v Port...

Sydney have significant support in Melbourne, far more than the 200-300 in the Port cheersquad that made it across.

Pretty poor overall, although 23k at the Gabba for a hapless Brisbane vs Freo isn't too bad.

Good stuff Queenslanders.

Not a bad home crowd for the wooden spooners against a small interstate side.

On the other hand you could consider it bad when you hear claims of the Eagles supposedly having 60,000+ members including waiting list, and approx 7,000 seats are left empty.

Found it strange to hear the commntators harping on about there not being barely a seat left in the house; but perhaps in the context of the other crowds this round it was a decent crowd.

On the other hand you could consider it bad when you hear claims of the Eagles supposedly having 60,000+ members including waiting list, and approx 7,000 seats are left empty.

Found it strange to hear the commntators harping on about there not being barely a seat left in the house; but perhaps in the context of the other crowds this round it was a decent crowd.

Watched the game on 7, and it seemed pretty well full, look closer to 40,000 than 35,000

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Etihad vs MCG.

Port vs Sydney.

You gonna compare Port's following to Sydney's? Really? Coll vs Prt game live on Foxtel as well, a game 99% of Collingwood supporters knew they'd win too.

I'm surprised we even got 35K. I expected less.

Etihad vs MCG.

Port vs Sydney.

You gonna compare Port's following to Sydney's? Really? Coll vs Prt game live on Foxtel as well, a game 99% of Collingwood supporters knew they'd win too.

I'm surprised we even got 35K. I expected less.

Wouldn't the bolded be a reason for you to attend though? I know I'd rather attend a game I knew Geelong were going to win, rather than a game I knew they were going to lose.

More live TV should equate to slightly lower crowds so don't go complaining if they are a little lower this year, it's worth it.

Re: Coll v Port - Melb v Sydney

The reason why the attendances were close was Etihad, my and my mate tried to get tickets to the game on Thursday (AFL Melbourne, AFL Collinwood support) and were asked to fork over $25 for the privilige of going to that concrete shithole.

Another Collingwood member at my work had to pay $40 for a premium ticket for the 'event'

Prts following V Sydney - had little impact. There were fair dunkum around 5k Sydney fans (Ponsford stand only) - Melbourne supporters were out in force, was great to see, the MCC was packed to the rafters to boot!

One more positive was the line for MFC membership signing, 15 minutes before the games it was like 20 metres long :)

At the MCG, beautiful day, with Sydney's good Vic support, I expected it to be well above the crowd for Collingwood v Port at the other ground. I even had a bet on it. With all the hype around Melbourne, and Sydney is usually good for about 10K at a Melbourne game, I thought there would be a few more. If there were only about 5K Swans supporters, that surprises me, I'd have expected more fortitude from them.

On the Collingwood crowd, it was almost all for one team - it is nice to know, though, that against Port at Docklands it's considered a good result to have half your membership numbers turn out. It will take the heat off if that's the benchmark.

Why?

Patterson Stadiums capacity is 43k, and only 35,878 turned up.

The official capacity is 43k but Patterson's seating is full at 38K with the extra 5k crowd absorded in the corporate facilities .The stadium was full to the eye .

The problem with Patterson's Stadium that there is maximum 20k good seating .There is pitfully small ticketed seating on the wings with only terraces open to the public .The majority of the seating is from the flanks toward to the goals where the biggest stand is .

Your point would be valid if we had a decent stadium ,but I'd suggest the reason the crowd was predictable is tha nobody wants to watch North anymore plus the media being distracted by other events .

At the MCG, beautiful day, with Sydney's good Vic support, I expected it to be well above the crowd for Collingwood v Port at the other ground. I even had a bet on it. With all the hype around Melbourne, and Sydney is usually good for about 10K at a Melbourne game, I thought there would be a few more. If there were only about 5K Swans supporters, that surprises me, I'd have expected more fortitude from them.

On the Collingwood crowd, it was almost all for one team - it is nice to know, though, that against Port at Docklands it's considered a good result to have half your membership numbers turn out. It will take the heat off if that's the benchmark.

Good luck with that come round 6 :rolleyes:

I still do not know why people are obsessed with attendance figures, ratings, membership and financial performance. The whole competition is contrived, has been for decades, the status quo has been artificially manufactured.

It is what it is based on the AFL policies over many generations.

Just enjoy the footy and let the suits worry about the numbers game.

The official capacity is 43k but Patterson's seating is full at 38K with the extra 5k crowd absorded in the corporate facilities .The stadium was full to the eye .

The problem with Patterson's Stadium that there is maximum 20k good seating .There is pitfully small ticketed seating on the wings with only terraces open to the public .The majority of the seating is from the flanks toward to the goals where the biggest stand is .

All this seems quite apparent. Anyone asking why WA needs a bigger stadium is a complete fool. Both teams have more members than seats available, so the general public is basically locked out even if a couple of thou members don't go..
A new 50,000 stadium would be enough for the Eagles, assuming the fans on the waiting list buy extra memberships when they become available.. And it would give fans off the street the chance to see a match occasionally too.

No way that Sydney had 10k supporters there on Sunday. 5k max.

What arrogance shown by Collingwood supporters to not show up because a win is almost a certainty. I'm not doubting that the win was almost certain but times like these don't last forever, enjoy the dominance while you can.

I'd love to go to a game where a Melbourne win is a near certainty.

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back