2011 MotoGP

Remove this Banner Ad

Marco Simoncelli's father Paolo has suggested a minutes noise rather than silence to remember Sic by. Sounds great to me. Might have to fire up the ZX6Rs and the XR5 and bang 'em all off the limiter for a minute on Sunday. All for Marco of course...

I'm with ya on Bradl, SJ, though I'd preferred if he had've been able to just out race Marc to the title in the last couple of rounds. But a world title is a world title and I don't think Stefan will care.

Yeah Bradl has been getting spanked silly by Marquez for most of the year to be fair. But he has consistently been the only rider getting a Kalex getting anywhere near the pointy end. So I'm happy he's won it.

Yeah Bradl has been getting spanked silly by Marquez for most of the year to be fair. But he has consistently been the only rider getting a Kalex getting anywhere near the pointy end. So I'm happy he's won it.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't say spanked sill coz he's finished second on nearly all those occasions but Marquez is certainly a class above. Still, Bradl has led the title for almost the whole season so he'll be a worthy winner.

This will be Loris Capirossi's last race this weekend

Excellent point. Loris has been a tremendous rider for a long time. He won't be going out in a fitting way - down the back of the field - but he will always be remembered as an absolute star rider with three world titles under his belt. Could have even been MotoGP champ in 2006 had he not been torpedoed by Sete Gibernau who was his teammate at the time.

In a really nice mark of respect, firstly from Loris capirossi and secondly from Dorna, capirex will run Simoncelli's number 58 this weekend.

65loriscapirossi,motogp_slideshow.jpg

Also, it is confirmed that Marquez will not race so Stefan Bradl is champion, the first German world champ since Dirk Raudies won the 125 title way back in 1993. Bradl appears to be quite happy about it too. :)

65stefanbradl,moto2_0_slideshow.jpg

The Gresini MotoGP team are running this weekend without sponsorship on Hiroshi Aoyama's bike, instead running a farewell message to their rider, Marco Simoncelli. Class.

_MC26632rid_688x.jpg

I hope Aoyama can pull out something special.

It's always a shame when a grand prix world champ is lost to WSBK or others after floundering with crap equipment.

Hopefully CRT brings more competition.

I really enjoyed that final qualifying session. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I would pay to watch Casey ride around on his own. That display tonite was breathtaking. He went 2nd fastest on his 2nd flying lap after giving everyone else 10 minutes head start and was fastest on the next lap then obliterated the field from there. Amazing.

I hope Aoyama can pull out something special.

It's always a shame when a grand prix world champ is lost to WSBK or others after floundering with crap equipment.

Hopefully CRT brings more competition.

I've been a fan of Hiroshi's for years and am really disappointed that he's leaving GPs for superbikes though I think he'll be a great gain for the production series. Speaking of the CRTs, Ezpeleta is spruiking that by 2013 there will be no factory bikes, only CRTs which I find hard to believe and the factories would be pretty peeved after the $$$s they've spent on building new 1000cc bikes for next year.

So does that mean there are 2 seats available at Gresini Honda now? They would be two of the best seats outside of factory rides with Repsol Honda and factory Yamaha. Is Nicky Hayden tied to Ducati for next year? He's been there for a few years now and not really got anywhere, i am surprised he is happy to stay with them for another season. I would like to see him jump on a Gresini Honda to throw something different up for 2012.

Moto GP seems really thin now in talent after the top 5 or 6 riders so hopefully the next batch of up and comers comes through pretty soon to produce another Simmoncelli or Lorenzo, or better still is there another up and coming young Stoner (Aussie) coming up through the ranks somewhere? Surely Stoner is inspiring a new breed of young motorcycle riders in Australia to follow in his footsteps?

Jack Miller has impressed but I'm not sure anyone is going to be the next 'Stoner'. The guy is a genuine freak who could already have 5 championships if he wasn't on that POS Ducati and had discovered the lactose intolerance earlier in life.

Also rumour has it that Iannone is over the line for one of the Gresini rides next year.

Was watching it and just shook my head when they crashed after the first corner.

I shook my head at the courage of these guys. Riding that fast, that close. Something bad is going to happen. I wish it didn't, really do but it's inevitable and every crash you jut wait to see if everyone is okay.

If anyone else watches the replay. The rider on the right. Not sure who it is but he almost got clipped by a front tire I'm pretty sure and thought how close we were to once again be sitting here feeling for the families, friends and riders.

Was watching it and just shook my head when they crashed after the first corner.

I shook my head at the courage of these guys. Riding that fast, that close. Something bad is going to happen. I wish it didn't, really do but it's inevitable and every crash you jut wait to see if everyone is okay.

If anyone else watches the replay. The rider on the right. Not sure who it is but he almost got clipped by a front tire I'm pretty sure and thought how close we were to once again be sitting here feeling for the families, friends and riders.

That was Bautista who was the one who fell initially and caused the domino effect. I too looked at that and thought "lucky boy."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing win by Stoner in the end, Spies looked to have it in the bag but Casey snatched it off him on the line. A bit like this years Melbourne Cup. Good to see a thrilling finish in the end though the riders wouldn't necessarily agree as it is the worst possible conditions to ride in. Bloody hell now we have to wait 6 months for the 2012 season to start. Bugger!

Amazing win by Stoner in the end, Spies looked to have it in the bag but Casey snatched it off him on the line. A bit like this years Melbourne Cup. Good to see a thrilling finish in the end though the riders wouldn't necessarily agree as it is the worst possible conditions to ride in. Bloody hell now we have to wait 6 months for the 2012 season to start. Bugger!

A good race to end the season i thought Stoner would be happy with 2nd but i guess he had nothing to lose

125 race: End of an era, Zarco crash was annoying.

Moto2 race: Best result possible, the Gresini win was so emotional for everyone in the team. The Takahashi crash was ****ing nasty :thumbsdown:

MotoGP race, Casey pulled out a second a lap for the first 6 laps and looked completely gone, rain made things interesting. Great battle between Dovi and Dani, Spies unlucky.

Casey on the 800's: Won the first race, won the last race, won the most races, won the (equal) most championships.

Decent era for him.

Valencia was a great way to finish the season. The conditions were completely dodgy but it managed to make for great racing.

The 125s were a bit of an anti-climax from early on when Zarco fell, however as the race progressed and Terol started accelerating through the pack it became more interesting and I'm glad Nico was able to win the title with a podium finish, he's a very worthy champion. Maverick Vinales winning again was great and sends an ominous sign to the competition for next season. Also, another good ride by Hector Faubel. I would hope that the age limit for 125/Moto3 getss scrapped so he can stay in the series. I don't think the limit actually achieves anything other than curtailing riders careers years early.

The Moto2 race was a barnstormer! That Michele Pirro won his first race for Gresini couldn't have been more perfect and to see the emotion flow from the team was touching. Nice to see Mika Kallio back on the podium and it's always cool to see someone get their first podium so I was pleased for Dominique Aegerter. The battle further back was enthralling, particularly West and Noyes who must've fought back and forth for at least two thirds of the race. Hopefully their results will see them with a ride next year, especially Ant who suffered being knocked off in the two rounds previous to miss out on his improving form.

MotoGP had their best race of the year. The battle of the rookies went down to the wire and only a small mistake by the impressive Karel Abraham allowed Cal Crutchlow to win the honours on the last lap. Pedrosa and Dovi duking it out was entertaining and Dovi's tactics were pretty plain to see early on - stay in front at all times! Third in the title is a well deserved result for Andrea. Stoner looked to have the race in the bag for 80% of the race until that final heavier shower came, then Spies rode inspired using wide sweeping lines for maximum flow. I thought Ben was going to walk away with the win once he passed Casey but Stoner hung in there and I was gobsmacked to see the run to the line that Stoner got over Spies. Had that been scripted in a movie I would've said it was farfetched rubbish!

Finally, I really thought the tribute to Super Sic by the whole paddock was fittingly beautiful. Marco would've been proud. Also, thanks to the commentators for having the respect to remain silent so we could enjoy the tribute as it was intended.

Moto GP seems really thin now in talent after the top 5 or 6 riders so hopefully the next batch of up and comers comes through pretty soon to produce another Simmoncelli or Lorenzo, or better still is there another up and coming young Stoner (Aussie) coming up through the ranks somewhere? Surely Stoner is inspiring a new breed of young motorcycle riders in Australia to follow in his footsteps?

I'd disagree completely with this statement. The depth of rider talent is high, the depth of quality machinery is thin. I honestly believe we're in a golden period of rider talent in GP, similar to the late 80's/early 90s. Stoner, Lorenzo, Pedrosa and Rossi have obviously been the standout talents over recent years but behind them were Simoncelli, Aoyama, Spies, Edwards, Dovizioso, Elias, Bautista, Hayden, Capirossi and Crutchlow who have all been world champions in one category or another. That's 14 of the 17 full time riders who are world champions. However, unlike the two-stroke era of 500GP when last years factory bike went to a satellite team, only factory bikes can be properly competitive now, at least consistently, and even then only if it's a Honda or a Yamaha. Until Ducati and Suzuki get their act together then there will only be 5 genuinely competitive bikes on the grid and that's not the riders fault. That talents like Melandri and Aoyama have left the series because of a lack of a competitive ride speaks volumes.

You can add Ant West to the list of MotoGP riders next year. He has signed to ride for the Speed Master CRT setup (the same team Iannone ran for in Moto2). Hopefully a good thing but I was hoping he'd stay with the improving MZ team in Moto2 with the chance of top 5s or maybe even podiums.

You can add Ant West to the list of MotoGP riders next year. He has signed to ride for the Speed Master CRT setup (the same team Iannone ran for in Moto2). Hopefully a good thing but I was hoping he'd stay with the improving MZ team in Moto2 with the chance of top 5s or maybe even podiums.
Welcome back to the big stage Westy.:thumbsu:

Ant West is out due to lack of funds.Mattia Pasini will take his ride.

Ant West priced out of Moto GP

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 MotoGP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back