Other 2011 PDC Premier League Darts

Remove this Banner Ad

After last weeks quality this week was a let down. Also I am not sure I enjoyed the exhibition antics of Wade and Taylor either. I have no issue with some crowd interaction but I thought all that went a bit too far. The P/L is not part of the order of merit and is really only an invite tourney so I except that it is not going to be as intense as the Worlds etc but they are still playing for some serious prestige and money. Being an ex player and all-round darts junkie I am not complaining about the game getting the TV profile that it deserves but I have a couple of reservations about these issues. I guess in the end it gets the crowd interesting and generates money but I think I prefer the open tourneys. Watching players such as King, Baxter, Newton etc battle it out for a living is a bit more intense and more up my alley. Anyway enough of my complaints and if it was was not being televised I would be complaining:).

To the darts. Anderson is clearly the form player for mine and him banging in the high scores is great to watch. Looking forward to him matching it with a Taylor or Barny who are on form. Webster is a much improved player but was not at his best last night but Anderson still played a very high standard.
Great to see Simon get up and play some good darts among the shenanigans of Wade. I like Wade and think he is a terrific player but I would rather him concentrate on the game than on the teeny bopper crowds. He is a very good player and should concentrate on staying one.
Good win by Barny who is on form. Lewis was back to his enigmatic self.
Taylor was obviously good with an average of 98.5 but would he have pounced around if Jenkins had bothered to turn up?

UK Open Qualifiers on the weekend.

Saturday results
Semi-Finals

Steve Brown 6-3 Simon Whitlock
Ian White 6-1 Adrian Lewis
Final
Steve Brown 6-3 Ian White
Sundays results
Semi-Finals
Michael Smith 6-4 Simon Whitlock
Dave Chisnall 6-4 Darren Johnson

Final
Michael Smith 6-5 Dave Chisnall
Whitlock's form is on the improve seemingly. After a slow start to the year he has had a win over Wade in the P/L and 2 semis. These are tough tourney's to win and I am informed that the averages are 90 and better from round one. No raucous crowds and blokes playing for their darting living. The best women in the world Bromberg is even playing in these events.

Brown is a bloke of about 30 who had a good worlds and is a full time pro. Had an average of 104 in the final.

Know nothing of Ian White other than he came over from the BDO this year but to beat Lewis 6-1 is a major result for him.

A mate of mine who knows people in his home town of St Helens told me that they hold high hopes for Chisnall who has come over from the BDO this year and made a splash with the 1/4's being his worst results so far and also a nine darter a couple of weeks back.

Smith, who won on the Sunday, is under 20 and the youngest to so far win one of these pro tour events. On the Saturday he lost the final of the under 21 event and had beaten the very good Michael van Gerwen 3- 0 with a 12 and 13 darter and a final 9 darter. This bloke could be one to look for in the future.

I am bullish for the games future. Damn good money to be made and attracting young blokes who are the future.

Even though the games were not close it was an enjoyable night of darts just to see the winners play so well. No theatrics either.

How about Webster. That average has only been bettered by Taylor in the P/L.
116.01 Phil Taylor v John Part (2009)
112.68 Phil Taylor v Adrian Lewis (2008 Semi-Final)
111.74 Phil Taylor v John Part (2008)
111.67 Phil Taylor v James Wade (2010 Final)
111.14 Phil Taylor v Raymond van Barneveld (2008)
110.19 Mark Webster v Adrian Lewis (2011)

Lewis was not too shabby himself with 103.26. What does one do when that scoring and finishing hits you. Take it in your stride I guess. Jenkins is a shell of his former self but that is not to take anything away from Whitlock who is getting his form back. Jenkins average of 92 would have been enough once upon a time but not in this day and age. Wade was worse. I think he is a very good player but he is not in any kind of form. Taylor V Barney was not a game for high averages either but Taylor was none the less exceptional when he had to be but that is nothing new.

Lewis has been pretty unlucky during the Premier League. The only time Wade has caught fire was against Jackpot, and then he loses against Webster despite averaging 103.

Taylor proving he is still the king.

Really struggling to keep up. I don't have IQ and can't find any torrents. There were more replays the first couple weeks but with the cricket and soon AFL, there will be less time slots for replays.

Need a new tv and foxtel IQ :(

Jenkins hit form with a fine average of 98.18 and 6 maximums to put away the hugely talented but still at times raw Webster. I thought that the Taylor Anderson game was a belter. Taylor just shy of an 104 average and Anderson just over 99. One mistake by Gary and he was gone. Barneveld was far too good for an out of sorts Wade. My Mrs reckons Wade has put too much weight on:eek:. (fan man's sport dearest) Lewis far too good for Simon and Simon has nobody else to blame but himself. Had a super 12 darter to open and Lewis held his throw the next leg. Against the throw he had scored well enough to have 50 with one dart left and Lewis way back in the distance on 221. Instead of taking out 18 or 10 to leave either his favourite double 16 or at least tops he hit 25. Lewis canes a maximum and Simon screws up by missing the big number and then only having one dart at a double. Lewis cleans up and then starts to take out some big finishes. Lewis played superbly and hardly missed a double and Simon's scoring deserted his at times as the pressure got too much.

The UK open qualifiers were on again last weekend and Simon made the 3rd round on Saturday going down to King 6-4. Lewis won the event. On the Sunday Simon lost to Lewis 6-4 in the 4th round with Van Der Vort beating Barneveld 6-4 in the final. They call the UK open the FA cup of darts as there is no seeding and players get drawn out the hat as the go. 40,000 pound to the winner this year. Get that bloody recording sorted red+black. You are missing out mate.

The night was ruined by the idiocy of the drunks during the Anderson Lewis game. I had a feeling the moment I heard Taylor mention someone throwing a coin in the interview after his win. For me Gary's own home crowd ruined his chances by some over board idiocy towards Lewis. This could have been a classic. As to our man Simon as much as a 96 average will win you more than lose you against Taylor a lose is inevitable. 5 out of 16 shots on the doubles is not as good as he can do but Taylor averaged 103.33 and only had 8 out of 20. Taylor's scoring was super. What a player. I am just not sure there will be another like him in my lifetime.

This weekend they have had an invitational in Holland with all the top Dutch players as well as Taylor Lewis and Jenkins. When Lewis played Taylor the final Match Averages where Phil Taylor 113.92, Adrian Lewis 108.78. Both players also hit six 180s each. Taylor wins 8- 4. I woke up to watch this on the Dutch station but they blocked it. Damn them to eternal hell.

Quarter-Finals
Co Stompe 6-8 Vincent van der Voort
Phil Taylor 8-3 James Wade
Raymond van Barneveld 8-3 Roland Scholten
Gary Anderson 8-5 Adrian Lewis

Found another link this morning and got to watch Taylor take out Wade 8-3. Good game with Wade playing well in spurts and match averages of Phil Taylor 107.65 and James Wade 98.93. I unfortunately has to keep the wheels of industry in motion and missed the Anderson Lewis match. Final Match Averages Gary Anderson 100.57 Adrian Lewis 100.22 with Gary coming back from 4-0 down. Oh you silly drunken Jocks. If you had not been so pathetically boozed up this could have been the game.

Semi-Finals
Vincent van der Voort v Raymond van Barneveld
Phil Taylor v Gary Anderson

Hopefully my same link is as useful tomorrow. I tip a Taylor Barny final with Taylor in such good form he should win.

Semi-Finals
Vincent van der Voort 2-8 Raymond van Barneveld
Phil Taylor 8-4 Gary Anderson

Final
Raymond van Barneveld 3-8 Phil Taylor
Final Match Averages Raymond van Barneveld 94.38, Phil Taylor 113.60

In the final he hit 8 out of 11 shots at the double. Prior to the final his tourney averages where 106.69, 113.92, 107.65 and 95.56. He only lost 3 out of 29 when he had the throw and was never broke more than once in a single match and then by Wade, Jenkins and Lewis.

An awesome and powerful display by the greatest player ever. He must surely transcend his given sport. If this is the performance to look forward to in his attempt to regain the world title I for one look forward to the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel like I am talking to myself with this thread but if not did anyone see the Whitlock Barny match? Only just got to watch it this evening.
Senfreakingsational!

Yep, was a fantastic match. Whitlock was in amazing form. He needed that win as well, puts him into the 4 now. It was good to see Wade return to some form as well and I hope he can go on a run now. Also hope Webster can improve over the next couple of weeks. I think he's lost 8-1 in his last two matches.

That was a fantastic match. Barny wasn't at his best and Jenkins was able to take advantage of it.

I'd love to see Webster get another win before the end of the season. Can't help but feel sorry for him.

Whitlock's still right in the hunt for the finals although the way Wade's playing I think he may get that 4th spot. Whoever does will end up playing Taylor in the semi and he's not looking like losing.

That was a fantastic match. Barny wasn't at his best and Jenkins was able to take advantage of it.

I'd love to see Webster get another win before the end of the season. Can't help but feel sorry for him.

Whitlock's still right in the hunt for the finals although the way Wade's playing I think he may get that 4th spot. Whoever does will end up playing Taylor in the semi and he's not looking like losing.
Whitlock unlucky.
Loved when Simon hit dub 15 ( i think ) to make it 7-6 and Gary had a little smirk as if to say " how's this guy still in it ??? "
Lewis is goneski methinks :thumbsdown:

Final on Friday morning.

Fox Sports 2 - 04:00 to 07:30 (LIVE) and 19:30 - 22:30 (REPEAT).

Semi-Finals (best of 15 legs)
1-Phil Taylor v 4-Adrian Lewis
2-Raymond van Barneveld v 3-Gary Anderson

Third place play-off (best of 15 legs)
??? v ???

Final (best of 19 legs)
??? v ???

Not the greatest finals night ever but who cares it had finals tension and I love darts.

I want to see James Wade come back. On form he is a fantastic player. Really hope he kicks in when the UK open starts soon. Obviously hope Simon goes OK as well. Jenkins has been a stalwart and I will never write him off but he may well have played his last Premier League. Webster is a newcomer and I really hope he gets over such as poor Premier League. He is a very good player at his best but he seemed to be overawed by it all.

Barny. I am going to be frank and say that out of all the great players that have ever played, and mark my words this bloke can play, he is the most uncharismatic individual in the world of any sport ever. I played competitively for 18 years and wish I could have played like this bloke for a game or three but he just plays with a lack of enthusiasm that does my head in. No fan.

Phil never got going finals wise. It would be crazy to say it is the end but he was way off his usual standard. Surprising.

Addy. Not world champ for nothing and still in his 20's. Had a great past 6 months and if his form and arm can hold up he will be around for a long long time.

Gary Anderson. Hopefully a breakthrough win. Likeable persona and throws huge scores consistently that remind me of Greg Norman when he was at his peak in golf. Norman belted them spectacularly long time after time. Gary does the same with his scoring. Bangs in the big scores time after time and you just keep wanting to watch. If he adds sharp finishing this bloke will be a great. Well done to Gary for his win:thumbsu:.

Remove this Banner Ad

Other 2011 PDC Premier League Darts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back