Opinion 2011 Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

It's going to be inconsistent this year, simply because I'm not spending as much time on it.

That's really not good enough.
You should see the amount of effort Mike Sheahan puts into his team.

"Oh, so here's Bulldog's list. Hmm, now I wonder who should step up and perform this year?"
Points to random player.
"Yes, Higgins should perform well this year."

Clause: not having a go at Higgins, merely attacking Sheahan's thought processes for picking his top 50.

Okay, some thoughts from this weekend.

1. Watson (could slip behind Buddy and Murphy?)
2. Buddy was good. Kicking still an issue. Also another 4 frees against. Still, probably should be no. 1 now.
3. Cox was good but could slide.
4. Murphy was fantastic on Friday (could possibly jump him to no. 2?).
5. Fyfe was reasonable but again could slide.
6. Selwood was good, should retain a similar position.
7. Mundy was alright, your call whether he stays around 7.
8. Pendlebury was good, could move up one or two spots.
9. Thompson beat Black and surely must leapfrog a few into about 5-7.
10. Judd was amazing and must move further up the list.
11. Shaw was reasonable but not amazing - should slip.
12. Bartel was ordinary - should slide.
13. Swan was poor - got lots of touches, no impact. Should slide quite a bit.
14. Kelly was again awesome, probably only behind Johnson for BOG. Should jump.
15. Thomas - jump him to about 10 - 12.
16. Griffen had a great game today. Awesome (up to about 12)
17. McPharlin was amazing against Riewoldt. Jumps up a bit.
18. Cotchin was ordinary. Falls away a bit.
19. Embley was consistent. Could stay or slide a small amount.
20. Sandilands – How should we factor injuries? Perhaps slide.
21. Boyd was average. Should slide.
22. Ablett was good for the first half, poor second half. Slides to about 25-28.
23. Moloney had his colours lowered. Was really poor. Should slide dramatically (about 28-30).
24. Mitchell started well but fell away in second half.
25. Deledio was alright. Remains about here.
26. Priddis was excellent and perhaps could rise.
27. Riewoldt was poor when it counted. Slide him.
28. Goodes got beaten. Sorry AG, let him slide.
29. Rischitelli should retain his spot about here.
30. Mumford didn’t play. Not sure, maybe slide slightly.
31. Jamison completely shut down Jurrah. Bump him up.
32. Martin was ordinary. Could go down the list.
33. Pavlich was so so.
34. Fisher was average.
35. Scarlett had an easy game. Probably should remain about here.
36. Bolton was meh. Didn’t see the game, you tell me?
37. Adcock had to play untra-defensively. No rebounding.
38. Chapman was poor, really poor. Needs to slide.
39. Murphy played well in parts.
40. Kennedy played average. Drops a spot or two.
41. Swallow was amazing. Jumps to about 35.
42. Gibson smashed Hall. Go forward five spaces.
43. Sewell was poor. Slide.
44. Merrett – Unless you want to enrage Brisbane fans you’ll put him up the list.
45. Scotland played a reasonable game. Stays here.
46. Rutten kept Brown goalless. Goes up.
47. Hocking didn’t play. Slides again.
48. Reid was good, particularly after halftime. Goes up the list.
49. Wells stays in the top 50.
50. Corey was alright. Could stay in or just fall out.

Other players to consider bringing in:

Gibbs – another shutdown job another scalp.
O’Brien – had a great game and shutdown LeCras when he was forward. Great rebounding.
Kerr – must be nudging the 50 now.
Dal Santo – another massive game.
Foley – is having a real impact this year.
O’Keefe – under the radar this year. Has had some huge games.
Birchall – seriously underrated.

Feel free to disregard my take on any players if you are so inclined.

Really interesting placements this year, having guys like Murphy, Watson, Cox, Mundy, Fyfe and all that in the top ten after they probably weren't (?) in your list last year shows how much the power has shifted and how players have changed their form. I don't have any beef with those that I named being listed, though. Murphy has definitely been Carlton's best player this year.

Having Judd in is questionable. Has not done a single thing this year. Armitage should be close, no? He's been better, at the least... I think he has a case. Apart from that, not many of ours are up for it. Maybe Gwilt. Ehhhh.

It's just amazing to see how much has changed in a year. The real natural order was static for so long and it's just jumped ahead with several years worth of change in a bang. I mean, Andrew Embley for one has cone from near-delistment to one of the best players in the comp!

Franklin definitely Top 5. It's arguable that he's even better than he was in 2008. But Riewoldt on a similar goal tally much further down the list?

There is no justification for having him in a Top 50. The pro-Judd tripe is getting tired.

Then write your own opinion top 50.
Judd would be leading the AFL Coaches award after this week. He is favourite for the Brownlow and very likely winning at the moment.
Surely that justifies selection in the top 50 at the very least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes he has been in the top 10. Probably 6 or 7 infront of him, including one at his own club.

Well, let's see. There's
Buddy, Murphy, Watson, Thompson and Cox are the ones that are in front of him (but not by much).
Others around him: Pendlebury, Selwood, Shaw and Griffen but I think he's ahead of all of them.

Bit busy atm but I've done the top 15 for now:

1. Jobe Watson -
2. Lance Franklin -
3. Marc Murphy (U1)
4. Joel Selwood (U2)
5. Scott Pendlebury (U3)
6. Dean Cox (D4)
7. Scott Thompson (U2)
8. Chris Judd (U2)
9. Dale Thomas (U6)
10. Nathan Fyfe (D5)
11. James Kelly (U3)
12. David Mundy (D5)
13. Ryan Griffen (U2)
14. Heath Shaw (D3)
15. Luke McPharlin (U2)

Very hard after this because pretty much everyone from now to about 40 was ordinary on the weekend.

Haven't really watched anyone closely this year Jonts, so I could be missing a few and Boak might be one of them. Swans and Dees are the only two clubs I've seen every game of.

Bit busy atm but I've done the top 15 for now:

1. Jobe Watson -
2. Lance Franklin -
3. Marc Murphy (U1)
4. Joel Selwood (U2)
5. Scott Pendlebury (U3)
6. Dean Cox (D4)
7. Scott Thompson (U2)
8. Chris Judd (U2)
9. Dale Thomas (U6)
10. Nathan Fyfe (D5)
11. James Kelly (U3)
12. David Mundy (D5)
13. Ryan Griffen (U2)
14. Heath Shaw (D3)
15. Luke McPharlin (U2)

Very hard after this because pretty much everyone from now to about 40 was ordinary on the weekend.

Haven't really watched anyone closely this year Jonts, so I could be missing a few and Boak might be one of them. Swans and Dees are the only two clubs I've seen every game of.

ahk still doing good, keep putting them up :thumbsu:

Armitage and Dal Santo next in line for the Saints.

Not sure with Swan. Late teens/early 20's I guess. The majority of players in the middle section were average so there isn't really anyone to force Swan down imo.

Scott Thompson is having a great year (career best i think).

What do you think his chances would have been for a brownlow / AA spot if the Crows were a team in the top 8? He polls well, usually getting around 15-17 votes in recent years.

Round 11:

Put this together in a couple of minutes just so there is something to post. I'll be busy up until the end of the financial year so if I don't post it now, I'll forget. So it's rough.

Happy with the players up to Riewoldt (might have him too low on the list but he's hard to mark this year). Last 6 spots are the tough ones. Might be too harsh on Pavlich. A few other hard players to mark, Swan, Boyd, Johnson etc.

Need help with the order, tried to get more defenders higher up the list.

Boyd should be below Embley and Scotland this year, should have dropped a bit from weekend. Swallow looks too high IMO based on his recent good form, I would have Mitchell, Bartel, Griffen and Mundy above him in terms of the whole season.

Boyd is a hard one. Part of me thinks Murphy and Morris have been better but he just keeps racking up the numbers.

I wouldn't have Mitchell above Swallow, the other three I can bump ahead of him. As I said in the AA thread, I'm probably basing too much on today's performance.

I haven't been watching much Carlton football, but I thought Judd would be in the top 5 as-well as (on current form) Thomas. I don't rate Murphy or Watson as high as they are. Still very good list however, always like it overall.

Keep up the good work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2011 Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Back