GFL 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at the GWSP v Grovedale game on Saturday and walked away more than perplexed at the umpiring decisions. Both sides were on the receiving end of some awful decisions. I don't think I have ever been to a game where the tackler was rewarded all day, the player going the ball had little or no chance and it was almost a case of waiting for an opposition player to get it so you could tackle and get a free kick.
I know we struggle for umpires but fair dinkum, just pay the obvious ones and lets get back to old fashioned contact footy.
The AFL are solely to blame for this, they need to review the rules and get it right, stop worrying about the pace of the game. Yes its a business and supporters are a huge part and we need to make it exciting but the players are the ones who ultimately make the game what it is, give them a chance to play the game the way it was intended, contact, hard, fair agressive footy.

Now that we're 5 games in, what are everyone's predictions?

Premier?
Wooden Spoon?
Minor Premier?
Flag Smokie?
Mathieson Medal?
Top 5?

I would have to say that results so far would change most people's preseason predictions.

Now that we're 5 games in, what are everyone's predictions?

Premier?
Wooden Spoon?
Minor Premier?
Flag Smokie?
Mathieson Medal?
Top 5?

I would have to say that results so far would change most people's preseason predictions.

Premier - South Barwon/Bellpark, cant split em
Wooden Spoon - St Albans
Minor Premier - South Barwon
Flag Smokie - North Shore
Mathieson Medal - James Byrne
Top 5 - South Barwon
Bell Park
St Joeys
North Shore
St Marys

Premier - South Barwon/Bellpark, cant split em
Wooden Spoon - St Albans
Minor Premier - South Barwon
Flag Smokie - North Shore
Mathieson Medal - James Byrne
Top 5 - South Barwon
Bell Park
St Joeys
North Shore
St Marys

Pretty much exactly how I'd have it. Only difference is that I'd have Bell Park to finish top.

I think that Sth Barwon & Bell Park will most likely finish 1 & 2.

St Joeys will probably make it although they have been lucky the last two weeks

You can raffle fourth and fifth

The comp is as even as it has been for quite some time

Premier? Bell Park
Wooden Spoon? St Albans
Minor Premier? Bell Park
Flag Smokie? St Josephs
Mathieson Medal? Josh Eddy (St Mary's)
Top 5?
Bell Park
South Barwon
St Josephs
Colac
Newtown

Who is coaching the wooden spooners magoos? Have heard that the club in turmoil has sacked him.At least he had 1 win on the board.
Whats goin on there.

Agreed. Check this page everyday for nothing!
Ok then lets get something started. I have seen a few gfl games this season and the thing that stands out the most to me is the poor standard of umpiring. We dont want to umpire bash too much but they seem to worry too much about how they look and act, instead of actually getting a decision correct. The standard of football far outweighs the umpiring standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair dinkum, the GFL is in the top 4 country leagues and this is the thread???
Who can stop South Barwon, slowly emulating the mighty North Shore of the 90's and early 00's? Bell Park maybe, St Joey's are mostly posturing, love to see the 'Shore in the finals again....
When will Newtown/Chillwell finally get back to the pointy end of the pack? They bumbled their way over Grovedale last week, St Joe's should smack 'em this round...North shore any chance on their dung heap over Bell Park? St Albans should have their behinds handed to them by Colac, as Grovedale will be flogged by South Barwon....

I saw a GFL A grade netball game last saturday that resembled what football used to be like. I then watched a GFL senior football game that resembled what netball used to be like. Why is this happening? Do other people see this or am i on my own here?

I am always on the other side when it comes to umpires. I think they do a great job, they do miss a few free kicks because they run up and down the center corridor and get blind sided when the ball is on near the boundary. If you go and watch an AFL game and then a GFL game you will be happy with the standard we have.

Agreed, the umpires do miss a bit, but so do the players. No one wants to come onto the GFL site and read about umpire bagging.

What about Forbes on the weekend, would have to be the most dominant performance in years! Anyone think of a game dominated by a single person in recent memory?

Agreed, the umpires do miss a bit, but so do the players. No one wants to come onto the GFL site and read about umpire bagging.

What about Forbes on the weekend, would have to be the most dominant performance in years! Anyone think of a game dominated by a single person in recent memory?

Yeah.......Less than 12 months ago Aaron Jones kicked 15 for St Albans v Geelong West at St Albans I'm pretty sure.

Yeah.......Less than 12 months ago Aaron Jones kicked 15 for St Albans v Geelong West at St Albans I'm pretty sure.

is it true forbes played on the wing?? that is an ubelievable effort for such a high level of a comp where there arent to many weak games to cash in on!! Brodie holland will be playing with joeys in next two weeks on good authority and the imminent return of andrew lovick and corey baurer tells me they are going under the radar as a geniune chance come finals????:mad:

is it true forbes played on the wing?? that is an ubelievable effort for such a high level of a comp where there arent to many weak games to cash in on!! Brodie holland will be playing with joeys in next two weeks on good authority and the imminent return of andrew lovick and corey baurer tells me they are going under the radar as a geniune chance come finals????:mad:

Not sure they're flying under the radar. Third on the ladder aren't they? Is Carlton flying under the radar? I think what is probably hurting Joeys is that if they are to be considered a real threat, they need to be smashing sides that are thereabouts. For mine, there is South & Bell Park, then Joeys, then 3 or 4 others, then everyone else. That great season we had last year with the comp evening out is now becoming a bit like it used to be.

Think the comp is more even than last year, sure bell park and south have cleard away but that was the case last year. This season has the bottom sides winning more frequently and pushing the better ones and showing big improvements. North shore a mile better, west have improved, grovey lost players but hanging in there newtown much better. These side winning could see fifth spot earnt buy only winning 10 out of 18, cant remeber that happening for a long time 12 wins is the norm. In good shape the gfl. For mine only the supersaints have gone backwards or treading water and St Marys struggling against the real top sides are not as strong as previous years.

Remove this Banner Ad

GFL 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back