FB: Ibbotson Silvagni Grover

HB: Mzungu McPharlin Suban

C: Fyfe Barlow Hill

HF: Ballantyne Pavlich Morabito

FF: Mayne Johnson/Bradley/Anthony/Houghton/M.Clarke Walters

R: Sandilands Mundy Broughton

Bench: Clarke Mcphee DeBoer
Sub: Mellington/Lower/Duffield etc.

With a fully fit midfield consisting of Sandi, Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow, Broughton and Hill delivering to a HF of Ballantyne, Pavlich and Morabito i dont think we will have to worry about our FF line too much :thumbsu:

Are you kidding? We have most of those players now (apart from Mitch Clarke) and our forward line is still a shambles. We need to recuit a decent key forward and not rely on the above that you've put at FF. Then again, if Mark Harvey just stuck to one structure instead of moving people in, out and around our players would probably have a better idea of what they're doing.

Still think we need to prioritise drafting some key position players. Jealous of WCE's stock of them.

Definitely prefer this make up.

Mayne & Ballas to push into the middle and make their presence felt. Walter & Mellington to play the grunt & skill deep in the fwdline, these guys are yet to do their apprenticeship here so that's where they should stay for now.

Unfortunately that makeup gives us 50% of the players with virtually 0 AFL experience, and with the idea that Mayne and Ballantyne are going to push into the midfield (Harvey will push Pav there too). For next year I want a bit more experience in the forward line mix.

Unfortunately that makeup gives us 50% of the players with virtually 0 AFL experience, and with the idea that Mayne and Ballantyne are going to push into the midfield (Harvey will push Pav there too). For next year I want a bit more experience in the forward line mix.

With Lower an upgrade, and perhaps 2 or even 3 off the rookie list, any room for rookying Beau Wilkes?

Same height as Houghton but about 12 kg heavier. I've only seen Houghton play once this year, still I'd be shocked if he made an impact in 2012 (I'd be shocked if he plays more than 5 games)

Wilkes has been in very good WAFL form and has AFL experience - can play either end but is a better forward. Perhaps there is better VFL/SANFL options, however I am happy to take 2/3 kids via the ND and rookie 2/3 kids - I'd like one genuine ready to go marking big.

JA was supposedly this, and all though life as a forward at Freo is not great - I would add another mature player into the mix.

It costs a spot on the rookie list however we should have room for 3 rookies.

Houghton is the only guy named that would be an unlikely starter for round 1, 2012 IMO. Ideally we'll be able to play Pavlich at CHF and have Clarke/Sandilands lining up at FF. If they get the structures/game-plan organised over the pre-season around that concept there is no reason they couldn't make it work.

Our HF's need to be capable of playing higher up the ground so we can take advantage of mismatches. Morabito and Fyfe in particular need to have the freedom to simply rotate forward if it's advantageous for them to do so.

Also, Mayne and Ballantyne apply massive amounts of defensive pressure, which most of our first choice midfielders don't. We are a much more aggressive/attacking team when they're involved in the play. Get them up the ground, get them involved and we'll benefit.

Houghton is the only guy named that would be an unlikely starter for round 1, 2012 IMO. Ideally we'll be able to play Pavlich at CHF and have Clarke/Sandilands lining up at FF. If they get the structures/game-plan organised over the pre-season around that concept there is no reason they couldn't make it work.

Our HF's need to be capable of playing higher up the ground so we can take advantage of mismatches. Morabito and Fyfe in particular need to have the freedom to simply rotate forward if it's advantageous for them to do so.

Also, Mayne and Ballantyne apply massive amounts of defensive pressure, which most of our first choice midfielders don't. We are a much more aggressive/attacking team when they're involved in the play. Get them up the ground, get them involved and we'll benefit.

How nice was it to see a couple of kicks to Sandilands' advantage in the 4th quarter on the weekend. He can take a grab these days. Massively under utilised forward weapon IMO, probably because everyone is so obsessed with forward defensive pressure.

How nice was it to see a couple of kicks to Sandilands' advantage in the 4th quarter on the weekend. He can take a grab these days. Massively under utilised forward weapon IMO, probably because everyone is so obsessed with forward defensive pressure.

Agree. Imagine how many more free kicks he'd get for arm chops if he wore sleeves!

I hope our recuriting staff have a good look at Shane Kersten.

He kicked 5.4 last weekend for the colts, having played for South Fremantle league last year. Has had an injury interrupted year but has a good pair of hands, knows how and where to lead and is a thumping kick.

Still needs to add muscle to his frame but certainly is capable of playing AFL next year without a doubt.

IMO has more upside than Darling.

With Lower an upgrade, and perhaps 2 or even 3 off the rookie list, any room for rookying Beau Wilkes?

Same height as Houghton but about 12 kg heavier. I've only seen Houghton play once this year, still I'd be shocked if he made an impact in 2012 (I'd be shocked if he plays more than 5 games)

Wilkes has been in very good WAFL form and has AFL experience - can play either end but is a better forward. Perhaps there is better VFL/SANFL options, however I am happy to take 2/3 kids via the ND and rookie 2/3 kids - I'd like one genuine ready to go marking big.

JA was supposedly this, and all though life as a forward at Freo is not great - I would add another mature player into the mix.

It costs a spot on the rookie list however we should have room for 3 rookies.

I got laughed at when suggesting Wilkes after he got delisted. Fortunately we got Silvagni, but if we didn't I'd still be advocating it. Big body, good height, I think he goes alright.

I hope our recuriting staff have a good look at Shane Kersten.

He kicked 5.4 last weekend for the colts, having played for South Fremantle league last year. Has had an injury interrupted year but has a good pair of hands, knows how and where to lead and is a thumping kick.

Still needs to add muscle to his frame but certainly is capable of playing AFL next year without a doubt.

IMO has more upside than Darling.

Sounds good. Any idea where he'll go? Anyone else know much about this fella?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expect Beau Wilkes to go to GWS.

As for Kersten, he should be a first rounder. I was initially hoping we could get him with our Palmer compensation pick, but there is no guarantee of him lasting that long. He'll no doubt impress at the draft combine - last year he finished in the top 10 of both the 20m sprint and the repeat sprint tests.

The main thing for him now will be to finish the WAFL season with good form. My worry with him was staying involved in the game, and winning his fair share of the ball. Him developing into a Murphy/Anthony type leading full forward isn't going to be of much help to us. His game on the weekend was a very good sign though - 20 possessions and 5.4.

Having said that though, I don't expect him to be a Murphy/Anthony type. His attack on the lead, coupled with his speed and kicking, makes him more along the lines of a Fevola or Jack Riewoldt type. Although I'd still love to get him with a compensation pick, I'd strongly consider him with our first.

Anyone got any idea how fast Griffen is?? He has shown this year that he is pretty reliable in front of goal, has a decent pair of hands, may not have the turn of speed on the lead though. His repeat efforts are great, with his purple blood and commitment shown in his few games I would love to see him play. With chopping of arms illegal now certainly his height would worry defenders. I feel with Zac's development Griff will only get games if either Zac or Sandy are injured, I feel for the bloke. Just a random thought.

Expect Beau Wilkes to go to GWS.

As for Kersten, he should be a first rounder. I was initially hoping we could get him with our Palmer compensation pick, but there is no guarantee of him lasting that long. He'll no doubt impress at the draft combine - last year he finished in the top 10 of both the 20m sprint and the repeat sprint tests.

The main thing for him now will be to finish the WAFL season with good form. My worry with him was staying involved in the game, and winning his fair share of the ball. Him developing into a Murphy/Anthony type leading full forward isn't going to be of much help to us. His game on the weekend was a very good sign though - 20 possessions and 5.4.

Having said that though, I don't expect him to be a Murphy/Anthony type. His attack on the lead, coupled with his speed and kicking, makes him more along the lines of a Fevola or Jack Riewoldt type. Although I'd still love to get him with a compensation pick, I'd strongly consider him with our first.

Good stuff.

Cheers for the feedback Chris.

I got laughed at when suggesting Wilkes after he got delisted. Fortunately we got Silvagni, but if we didn't I'd still be advocating it. Big body, good height, I think he goes alright.

I too got the rough end of the pinnapple for even suggesting Wilkes as a candidate for a rookie spot...but when you stack him up along side guys like Roberts(0games) Sheppard (0) Ruffles(0) and Sibbasado (0)..I think he would have been worth a punt.
The argument was that we didnt require Wet Toasts left overs.....but the only reason he was off their list was because they have many similar types...........whilst no world beater I think he could /would have being handy depth for us this year

After watching the vfl for the past six week Fevola should be looked at. 43 goals in six weeks says it all. Also would go for Brad Dick from collingwood if possible. Then our 2012 forward line would look dangerous.

After watching the vfl for the past six week Fevola should be looked at. 43 goals in six weeks says it all. Also would go for Brad Dick from collingwood if possible. Then our 2012 forward line would look dangerous.

Fevola is tempting, he'd kick 75 goals in our side easy. Big risk though and not sure it's worth it. I actually reckon out of all the teams the Saints might bite.

i was totally against fev earlier in the year, but he's been a good boy of late and if we can get him for a song, then we can roll the dice for 2012. maybe the lack of media scrutiny would be good for him over west too.

im still not sold on walters, not sure why everyone thinks he is the answer, yes he is skillfull, but his attitude is not in it, or atleast it hasnt been up untill this point. he is highly skilled no doubt, but he is slow as a wet week and short... i actually think he could be delisted.

havent seen much of houghton, but i think our forwardline has to include pavlich as a permanent forward, ballantyne as a permanent pocket and the rest made up of deboer, mayne, mellington and bradley with fyfe, morabito and clarke probably spending time down there at times as well. a lot will depend on form, i personally think that if we had of had a full list mayne would have spent some time in the wafl.... i also think that anthony should be permanently moved back, forget about him as a forward, lets utilise his great skills in defence

i wouldnt get fev... but would DEFINETLY have a look at brad dick. he would be a perfect fit, reminds me of geoff garlett, just need to get his body right

im still not sold on walters, not sure why everyone thinks he is the answer, yes he is skillfull, but his attitude is not in it, or atleast it hasnt been up untill this point. he is highly skilled no doubt, but he is slow as a wet week and short... i actually think he could be delisted.

If he's delisted we'll have cut around 12 players.

If he's delisted we'll have cut around 12 players.

depends on who you think will get cut. rookies dont count. i see the following being cut/traded

palmer (gws)
schammer
vanberlo
bollenhagen (possibly rookie listed)
shepherd
sibosado

i think hinkley has earnt another year, but he may be cut or rookie listed, and as i have said walters may be cut and possibly rookie listed. i pray to a higher being every day that we trade/delist johnson... but i just cant see it happening given that he played 22 games. i dont see duffield going anywhere or ibbotson for that matter

Remove this Banner Ad

2012 Forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back