2013 Rookie Draft Pick #47 - Jacob Ballard

Remove this Banner Ad

Jacob Ballard was one my favourite players last year, even though I was on my own in terms of rating him. I kept talking him up, but nobody joined me on his bandwagon. Here's a little of what I said about him...

Jacob Ballard (186cm midfielder - Northern Knights)

I know I keep calling players underrated, but Ballard is. He had a super consistent season for the Knights in the TAC Cup and was named in the bests in all but two of his 13 games this year. And he continued on with that form in the U18 Championships, and while he wasn't a standout he won plenty of ball and used it very well off of half back. One thing he showed for Vic Metro was that he doesn't need a lot of game time to win the ball. And even with his Draft Combine invite, it still seems as though people aren't really talking about him all that much. He is 186cm and has a mature body, he'll be pushing for selection in his debut season. He can run all day as he proved with a top 10 beep test result, and he uses the ball very well by foot. With his size, skills and athletic ability, he looks to be a perfect fit for the modern game, and I think he could easily push into the second round. What will dictate where he gets picked is whether teams think he will become that big bodied midfielder or if a career at half back is more likely. Either way, I think he could be a good player.

Ballard I have been impressed with. Works hard and tackles really well, has good hands too. He's pretty much been in the bests in every game he has played in the TAC Cup this year. Really good size for a midfielder too, he looks to be developing along the same lines as Tom Sheridan did last season.

Ballard is a big, strong body who can play both in the midfield and across half back. With good hands and a nice kick, he could fill any number of holes. Maybe he isn't elite in one particular area, but someone who is solid in multiple areas shouldn't be sniffed at. I'm thinking he'll be more of a third round pick than a rookie chance.

I've seen Ballard live a couple of times, and a number of other times on video. And I'm a big fan. As you said, he has been super consistent this year and rarely has an off day - he has been named in the bests in 11 of his 13 games this season.

He does have a strong body, and should be fairly ready made in terms of seeing early game time. I think he is comparable to Reece Conca. Might not be the flashiest player going around, but he has surprisingly good foot skills and a real knack for the contest. Uses his size to his advantage, and just always attacks the ball. I think he could easily earn himself a spot on a half back flank next season, before eventually moving into the midfield.

Where will he get picked? I don't really know. I wouldn't be opposed to spending a pick around the #30 mark.

Can't find any vfl footage of Ballard. Can only find U18 stuff and I'd like to have a look see more recent stuff as after all he was overlooked last year but we took him this year. Does any exist and if so where can I find it? Thanks in advance.

He is a beauty, dual sided midfielder, who inexplicably last season, did not end up on any clubs list.

I liken him to Scott Thompson from Adelaide.

Have you watched him play the last few seasons live? He looks to read the ball really well from the footage provided.

From memory...Northern vs Eastern & someone else 2012, Vic Metro vs WA 2012 and Northern Blues vs Collingwood VFL this year.

His handballing IMO is elite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice highlights there, he looks like a real hard nut. Our new Solly!

He has a Barlow like set of hands. (I expect its his Barlow like kicking that has seen him undrafted till now).
We're got a live one here, bookmark it.

I expect that if Menegola doesn't live up to his athleticism, the replacement for Crowley down the track could well be Ballard. Good in close and vice like tackles. Not sure about kicking given so few if any highlights of it....

Got some size on him.

Ballard.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back