2014 AFL Dream Team Setup

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as I can tell it won't really be any different. Multi byes were fine this year anyway.

Round 1 will be a split round (Rd1 was kind of like this anyway)
Rounds 8/9/10 will be the multi byes
And there will be a split Round around Rd 18 or 19.

We're only really adding one more week onto the season with 0 extra games! In fact it will probably help us out, maybe teams won't rest players as much with them now having 2 weeks off during the season.

Also if this thread can include suggestions about DT in 2014, I would really like to see a "Best 21" scenario implemented for most rounds to resemble the substitute rule. It was a nice feeling that in 1 or 2 of the multi bye rounds this year that really horrendous score wouldn't matter!

My tip for head to head.

16 team leagues - while this doesn't mimic AFL it does make it that little bit easier for people to fill their leagues + everyone plays bottom 8 finals.
Head to Head from Rd 1
No Head to Head in Bye Rounds

By my calculations you'd play head to head rounds 1-7 / 11-17 / 20 (15 games). Then play finals rounds 21-24.

My tip for head to head.

16 team leagues - while this doesn't mimic AFL it does make it that little bit easier for people to fill their leagues + everyone plays bottom 8 finals.
Head to Head from Rd 1
No Head to Head in Bye Rounds

By my calculations you'd play head to head rounds 1-7 / 11-17 / 20 (15 games). Then play finals rounds 21-24.
What about the leagues who struggles to fit everyone in? Keep it at 18....no one who comes 9th-16th even cares about the minor finals. If you're coming 17th/18th in your league, you are probably already over the season.

Is there a way to combat the late season (last 2 rounds) 'late withdrawals' that the top 8 clubs seem to be pumping out at us? IF I had made it to the GF (lost by 4 points in the PF.... :mad: ), and I lost the final due to 3 or 4 late withdrawals, I'd be pi**ed.

Case in point, Freo this week have rested 10 players. It only takes 1 team to have 3 or 4 of them to have their entire season ruined!

Maybe if the league was 16 rounds and finished 2 weeks before the end of the season?.....ok, so thats not the answer, but does anyone else have any ideas?

Is there a way to combat the late season (last 2 rounds) 'late withdrawals' that the top 8 clubs seem to be pumping out at us? IF I had made it to the GF (lost by 4 points in the PF.... :mad: ), and I lost the final due to 3 or 4 late withdrawals, I'd be pi**ed.

Case in point, Freo this week have rested 10 players. It only takes 1 team to have 3 or 4 of them to have their entire season ruined!

Maybe if the league was 16 rounds and finished 2 weeks before the end of the season?.....ok, so thats not the answer, but does anyone else have any ideas?
I tend to disagree with this mate. The only team to rest players this week is Freo and really out of the entire 10 players the only 2 who are slightly DT relevant are Fyfe and Mundy. Even then Mundy is not that common at all (3.45%) and Fyfe is only in 15% of teams. Not the end of the world with 2 trades per week.

Other than Fyfe who else that is DT relevant is being rested?

I tend to disagree with this mate. The only team to rest players this week is Freo and really out of the entire 10 players the only 2 who are slightly DT relevant are Fyfe and Mundy. Even then Mundy is not that common at all (3.45%) and Fyfe is only in 15% of teams. Not the end of the world with 2 trades per week.

Yeah I guess you're right... I'm just sick of the late withrawals that have plagued teams this year. Maybe I'm still a bit sore as I had Kreuzer and Lewis as late withdrawals in the PF which meant sub standard bench scores (potentially costing me a GF berth :p).

Yeah, but what if it were Collingwood, not Freo that rested players - Swan, Pendles, Sidebottom, Beams, Grundy, Harry O, Shaw ?? Or Geelong rested SJ, Bartel, Stokes, Enright (although you could argue he rested while he played on the weekend).

While the Freo situation wasn't critical (although a few people had Mayne or Clarke as a POD) - I do agree with the sentiment. I think there is less room for manipulation if the season ends on the 2nd last round, although with GWS and Melbourne in the competition, there will always be some clubs resting players...

More byes the merrier, really shakes things up and rewards early planning.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-29/hits-and-misses

"Marc Murphy (Carlton)
After the first five rounds of the 2013 season, the Carlton captain was flying, with five scores more than 100. What followed was very surprising. A few injuries throughout the season certainly didn't help, but Murphy found it very hard to break a tag, which eventually led to a price drop of $169,000. In his next 14 games, Murphy managed to score 100 or more just twice. We know he can play, but the former No.1 draft pick needs to lift considerably before he is considered an A-grade dream teamer. "
Reckon his price will be reasonably cheap and should do well in 2014. Injuries really hurt him this year and if he stays fit he will post 100+ most weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back