2014 AFL U18 Championships

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got back from the game today.

Firstly, my god it was cold again! Secondly, my footy record had most of the players for SA with the wrong numbers and BF saved me.

WA - Finally decided to stick to structures and were also a lot more vocal.
SA - They were okay, I expected a lot more from them.

I thought WA should have maybe won that game, so a little disappointing in the end.

WA Players

Kietell - This kid should have kicked 5 goals and missed some easy shots. He dominated the forward line and was too strong for a few SA defenders. I seemed to notice Ramsey and McLean on him and he was too smart on the lead for them and also had a few good contested marks.

Bevan - Did not play last week and was a welcomed addition to the WA side, thought he had a good game as well. Smart leading patters and lost his defender a few times. Might be a little too small for AFL level forward?

Pickett - If WA was to win this game, this guy was certainly BOG. A lot better than last week, I personally think he is close to a first round pick from this game.

Stewart - This kid has a big motor and manages to hit the scoreboard as well. Really nice in close and I thought he had a good game.

Cripps - Did some nice things and had to even ruck at points in the game.

Giblett - He impressed me at times in the defensive 50m. Great effort and could be one to watch in the next few games.

Watson - I may have this player incorrect, but was a shakey early, but I did not mind his game as the FB.

Waterman - Quiet game and did not spend a heap of time in the midfield, still very good hands.

Clem Smith - Angry ant, another 50m penalty a big sling tackle in the last 20 seconds... Kicking was better than last week and did a few nice plays, I just think he does not respect his opponent and gets hurt. The SA boys certainly liked to remind him about his player getting off the chain.

Dragovich -This kid may not be AFL level, but if 90% of players showed his heart and work rate, they would improve their game 10 fold. Last quarter I watched him sprint off the bench 30m, lay a massive bump and clear the way for Pickett to kick an amazing goal. This kid should have had players coming from everywhere to say congrats. Second week in a row that I have noticed his hard work.

Palfrey - He caught me eye on two occassions and is an interesting prospect.

SA.

Johansen - Not the tallest midfielder but he dominated. Spread from the contest and was the difference almost in the end. Kicked an amazing goal in the last quarter to take the lead or stretch the lead out to 10. This kid was everywhere and has nice speed and endurance.

Bullen - This kid is a SMART footballer, just knew exactly where to run and was always in a good spot. I almost liked his game the most today.

Press - Dangerous moving forward and I had him as Gaffney in my record.... Press had a great game, nice combination of speed and smarts.

Durdin - He played in the midfield, back, forward and while he was not amazing you can just tell he is class. Super clean hands and great below his knees for someone his height. The most impressive big man I've seen so far. Lovely kick of the ball as well from the few kicks I noticed.

Gaffney - I don't mind his game, smart little footballer and has nice speed and agility. Some great side steps and moved in close.

Hamilton - He has some good footspeed and I did not mind his game as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terrible terrible first half of footy nearly every player on the ground turned the ball over by foot.

SA punished WA for there turnovers every goal bar one in the first half came from WA turnovers.

Waterman injured his leg in the first ten minutes of the first quarter, continued to play but mainly as a decoy forward.

Little number 2 for SA and 4 for WA where the two cleanest players on the field and used the footy well.

SA backed there players to win a lot of one on ones, and had there players back of from the contest, so when they won the ball,
always had players in space.

Jarrod Pickett was okay in the first half, played on the ball got the footy took on the game.
Big big question mark on his defensive side though, just ignored his opponent though so SA got cheap possession
against him. Really slack on his chasing half hearted stuff.

Played the second half up forward and got wa back into the contest.
In the third Waterman sharked the ball of another Scott Jones dropped mark, turned straight away and sent a brilliant low
handball to Pickett, who ran had three bounces and dummys past opponents and kicked to Keitel who marked and kicked the goal.
That was the play of the day.

SA had no answer to Pickett as a forward though.

Keitel is going to be a very very good forward at AFL level, he is top ten draft pick for me now, if he goes higher will be a bargain, he
has a presence and xfactor about him.

Samuel Bevan had a good game as well, and so did his opponent SA big 36 Durdin ?

Anyway was a very good contest probably the best in the game. Both got the footy both where smart players and used the footy
generally well.

WA really should of won but SA where the cleaner side and punished WA better for turnovers better.

Last edited:
Also SA had a left footed small backman that used the footy extremely well a few times by foot, was other side of ground so couldn't see his number.

WA had 15 Watson I think was very good defender lovely kicker as well but did turn it over a few times with low kicks that ended in goals.

Clem Smith short kicking was actually very good this game but his lack of discipline hurt WA

Waterman injured his leg in the first ten minutes of the first quarter, continued to play but mainly as a decoy forward.

I was a little late to the game and missed this injury.

Little number 2 for SA and 4 for WA where the two cleanest players on the field and used the footy well.

Johansen and Stewart - Certainly two of the best on the field.

Jarrod Pickett was okay in the first half, played on the ball got the footy took on the game.
Big big question mark on his defensive side though, just ignored his opponent though so SA got cheap possession
against him. Really slack on his chasing half hearted stuff.

Did not massively pay attention to his defensive side, but as a small forward he was attempting to get WA the win.

Played the second half up forward and got wa back into the contest.
In the third Waterman sharked the ball of another Scott Jones dropped mark, turned straight away and sent a brilliant low
handball to Pickett, who ran had three bounces and dummys past opponents and kicked to Keitel who marked and kicked the goal.
That was the play of the day.

Still unsure why he did not kick the goal himself and risked a 50/50 20m pass.

Keitel is going to be a very very good forward at AFL level, he is top ten draft pick for me now, if he goes higher will be a bargain, he
has a presence and xfactor about him.

He had a bloody good game and really should have kicked 5 goals.

Keitel is certainly going to interest me on draft day.

Billy stretch?

Was very good, if Melbourne is looking for a outside player he will be very good for you.

Hopefuly you get him for a third rounder which would be a bargain.

Is very very outside though cant win his own footy, but is very good receiver and breaks the lines.

Needs to learn to tackle instead of standing of the contest.

But is very quick and used the footy okay

Keitel is certainly going to interest me on draft day.

He would be a very good pick up for Carlton, would love him at WCE.

He has that ability to just make things happen.

Though we dont need forwards at WCE.

What do you think about Pickett's defensive side, do you think its going to be a problem at AFL level ?

He would be a very good pick up for Carlton, would love him at WCE.

He has that ability to just make things happen.

Though we dont need forwards at WCE.

What do you think about Pickett's defensive side, do you think its going to be a problem at AFL level ?

Last week I hated it, this week it did not stand out nearly as much. You stating that it was bad made me wonder if I missed some plays or his flashy last half made me ignore that side of his game. Still with the form he was in, another WA player should have covered his player.

I still have a feeling they can teach Pickett how to defend at AFL level, it is harder to teach a player his use of the body, side step, speed and goal sense.

I've seen the two sides of WA and Pickett these last two weeks.

Yea looks like wce will finish 14th or 13th so we should be able to pick him up.

I just feel at this stage would rather a Brayshaw type more, along with Waterman in the second round.

We need outside speed desperately, just not sure he's worth a early first rounder with question marks on his defensive side.

If he was a tackler I wouldn't be so worried, but he never tackles.

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 AFL U18 Championships

Remove this Banner Ad

Back