2014 captain & vice Captains

Remove this Banner Ad

Lionator

Team Captain
Oct 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think we should have a change with the on field leadership as well.

Tom Rockcliff should be Captain. He is a great leader, great worker, and in our best 5 players.... If not best 3.

Rich should be a Vice Captain. He is also a Top 3 player and one of the hardest trainers we've got. A no BS leader.

Mayes as the second Vice Captain. His work ethic is awesome, his talent is awesome. We need as player that can relate closely to the under 20 players.
We also want him long term.

Sorry but Adcock needs to focus on footy only. I just don't see him as a natural leader.

Leppa needs to make a change and put in place a new leader that can from the beginning work on building a great culture. A change in leadership can be harmful in some circumstances but not with Rocky taking over.

I would like to see the same captains, but have Lester, Golby and Harwood added to the leadership group.

Adcock Captain
Rockliff Vice captain

Rich, and Brown stripped of captaincy although they will retain there roles in the leadership group with Merrett added as well.
It is clear that you know how to work effectively with people.

Patfull for Captain! Rich, Redden and Rockliff as his understudies, and Adcock, Merrett, Raines, Maguire and Staker in the leadership group.

It's time for a change!

Don't think we need any changes, the current set up is only new still. If brown doesn't go on, then Adcock to sole captain with Rocky and Rich VC still. In another season or two I think the change can be made to Rocky or Rich.

Adcock and Rockliff captains (succession model, for a year or two) Brown relieved of all leadership duties if he goes on and Rich and Luey as VC's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Leppa will probably spend next season assessing the group. I don't see him making massive changes. Maybe Brown will drop the captaincy if he goes on. If that occurs, I don't see a younger bloke being promoted at this point so Jed will remain as sole captain.

Brown doesn't need the captaincy to elevate his on field performances. Think Rocky & Rich could really take their game to a new level having the big c next to their name.

Don't think captaincy should be used to try and elevate a player's game. If they need a title to play well, then they aren't captaincy material in the first place.

Don't think captaincy should be used to try and elevate a player's game. If they need a title to play well, then they aren't captaincy material in the first place.

It goes without saying that only your better players are considered for captaincy roles. There are countless examples of players that elevate their game to fantastic levels after being given the honour and responsibility of captaincy, across loads of sports. Mark Taylor is a clear example for me, as is Rio Ferdinand at Man United. We're not talking giving scrubs the captaincy.

Giving the captaincy forces players to think about their teammates in different ways, therefore making them learn and round their game further. That would clearly benefit somebody like one of the Rs, be it Rockliff, Rich or Redden. Rockliff is already one of our on-field leaders by his actions anyway.

It goes without saying that only your better players are considered for captaincy roles. There are countless examples of players that elevate their game to fantastic levels after being given the honour and responsibility of captaincy, across loads of sports. Mark Taylor is a clear example for me, as is Rio Ferdinand at Man United. We're not talking giving scrubs the captaincy.

Giving the captaincy forces players to think about their teammates in different ways, therefore making them learn and round their game further. That would clearly benefit somebody like one of the Rs, be it Rockliff, Rich or Redden. Rockliff is already one of our on-field leaders by his actions anyway.

:eek: Would have thought Mark Taylor is the worst possible example. He infamously struggled for form when he became captain.

It's the whole mindset that I disagree with. The captaincy selection process isn't about turning somebody into something. It's about picking the best based on traits they have already demonstrated. You used terms like 'forcing them to think' and 'making them learn', when it should be about picking who already thinks and is already learning. You shouldn't have to be forcing and making, it should be something that is natural for them.

Personally Whilst brown is playing I would leave him as captain... his presence would under value any new captain. When ever brown retires Rockliff or Rich. Another year with the current setup then by 2015 we will really have a feel for the right new captain

At this stage of his career I don't think having the (c) taken away would devalue his on-field and off-field leadership/presence at all. But unless he decided to give it away I agree that it should be left with Browny.

Personally Whilst brown is playing I would leave him as captain... his presence would under value any new captain. When ever brown retires Rockliff or Rich. Another year with the current setup then by 2015 we will really have a feel for the right new captain

Same thought about Brown. Even if you took it off him, his presence alone would be the gravitas that would detract form the current capt. You would have to wait till Browny retires.

Rockliff Captain
Adcock/Brown Vice Captains

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 captain & vice Captains

Remove this Banner Ad

Back