2014 QFA Southern Conference

Remove this Banner Ad

So the word around the traps is that the cross conference grand final could get scrapped if clubs aren't happy with the idea. Honestly, who wants to play another game after you win a flag (apparently which there are no medals etc if you win your conference)???

To me it seems a few like the cross conference idea, & many dislike it. I'm with the latter, for the regular season or finals. The time & place for cross conference games IMO would be a pre-season comp: sides from both comps could be pitted against a top 5 side & a bottom 5 side from the 'other' conference with a for/against aggregate total to decide the overall winner.
Each club gets 2 official
practice matches & local
derbies left to the regular
season...

Last edited:
I don't mind the CC games during the year but having 2 GF at the end is truely pointless unless you are playing for a spot in the QAFL which the AFLQ has stated is not the case , imagine winning your conference GF and not being able to celebrate because you know you have another gF the next week and then losing that game would leave a sour taste in your mouth I believe,

I hope that the teams coming down from the pineapple cup don't smash the old state association teams either , from what I have heard butleigh have reruited a few old neafl players from southport / Broady ,

Anyone game enough to lock in a ladder ?? Have a guess at the leading goal kicker or MVP ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mind the CC games during the year but having 2 GF at the end is truely pointless unless you are playing for a spot in the QAFL which the AFLQ has stated is not the case , imagine winning your conference GF and not being able to celebrate because you know you have another gF the next week and then losing that game would leave a sour taste in your mouth I believe,

I hope that the teams coming down from the pineapple cup don't smash the old state association teams either , from what I have heard butleigh have reruited a few old neafl players from southport / Broady ,

Anyone game enough to lock in a ladder ?? Have a guess at the leading goal kicker or MVP ?

Palm beach
Morningside
Labradore
Western magpies
Broadbeach
Surfers

Wilson grange
UQ
Flag - pbc
Goals- corrie if he plays
B and f -wise broadbeach

Not sure how much thought AFLQ put into the selection of the CC games during the season. Some teams appear to be facing 2 sides likely in the top half of the ladder, while others have got an easier draw. Seems a bit off.

Personally, as an old prick, I'd rather the weeks off!!

Not sure how much thought AFLQ put into the selection of the CC games during the season. Some teams appear to be facing 2 sides likely in the top half of the ladder, while others have got an easier draw. Seems a bit off.

Personally, as an old prick, I'd rather the weeks off!!

I didn't think Div 5 had CC games

Yeah I think it hard to work that one out swoopa , how can you Gauge how good teams are in Jan when the fixture comes out, that's just really pot luck really we have caloundra and maroochydore , both will be quality sides, which is good keeps the quality of football up which is a plus for our club , Our home cross conference game is at redlands ground as we play a number of curtain raisers to the Neafl team there . Hopefuly redlands can dig into there pockets and Alex hills gets some compensation $$$$ as we won't be making a cent on any of these games !

Any news on
Yeah I think it hard to work that one out swoopa , how can you Gauge how good teams are in Jan when the fixture comes out, that's just really pot luck really we have caloundra and maroochydore , both will be quality sides, which is good keeps the quality of football up which is a plus for our club , Our home cross conference game is at redlands ground as we play a number of curtain raisers to the Neafl team there . Hopefuly redlands can dig into there pockets and Alex hills gets some compensation $$$$ as we won't be making a cent on any of these games !

Any news on big recruits from the league reshuffle ? Are Fulton mugavin and Notting running around again this year ? Any teams got any warm up games coming up ?

Any news on

Any news on big recruits from the league reshuffle ? Are Fulton mugavin and Notting running around again this year ? Any teams got any warm up games coming up ?

I hear robina lost all there players after last year and they have had no new recruits it could be a long year down at Scottsdale drive can you confirm BrotherofChunk???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree it would be tough but my thoughts were that it could be based upon ladder position at the conclusion of the previous round. Would make for some cracking contests and add some excitement to the fixtures! Perhaps the 2 top placed sides play on the Saturday night too to draw a crowd? Home ground advantage is given to the team with the highest points/percentage of the 2.

Just a thought of course and I am merely a fee paying slave to the big boys at AFLQ.

I agree it would be tough but my thoughts were that it could be based upon ladder position at the conclusion of the previous round. Would make for some cracking contests and add some excitement to the fixtures! Perhaps the 2 top placed sides play on the Saturday night too to draw a crowd? Home ground advantage is given to the team with the highest points/percentage of the 2.

Just a thought of course and I am merely a fee paying slave to the big boys at AFLQ.

Actually a great idea , and do it so basically the first cross conference round is played on the North side and the second round played on the south side , that way all teams play 1 home and 1 away , could work , mind you sounds like too much hard work for the small minds of the AFLQ to understand

A quick "too late now rant" but wouldn't it have been better to create the North/South Conferences at level that travel may actually affect player availability?
Maybe

QAFL B
Aspley 2
Burleigh
Coolangatta
Coorparoo
Maroochydore
Mayne
Noosa
Robina
Springwood
Yeronga

QFA Nth
Caboolture
Caloundra
G.Moorooka
Kedron
Kenmore
Nambour
Pine Rivers
Redcliffe
UQ 2

QFA Sth
Alex Hills
Beenleigh
Carrara
Coomera
Ipswich
Jimboomba
Logan
Park Ridge
Wynnum

Last edited:
Heard Coomera where destroyed by a very under strength Caloundra? Was anyone else there to witness Caloundras young youthful speed and superior ball movement? Even though they aren't in our conference they are highly skilled and no doubt and contender for the north div! Coomera on the other hand are still playing 1970s football, I think the magpies are in for a shock in round 1 against Springwood....
There was only a couple of goals in it while Caloundra had a near full strength side Coomera have about 6-7 players to come back in.
I'm sure the Coomera coaches are under no illusions as to the coming season

Just a quick summary of the Caloundra v Coomera practise match viewed through panther glasses. Scoreline CAL 10; 14 to Coom 5;3 . Caloundra would have 9 to 10 players out that may be considered in our best 22 that didn't play.We had 10 of our under 18s play, with bottom age 18s such as Tom Patton ,James Barnes and Gareth Hunt having very good games. As for the game itself very scrappy affair ,with Caloundras fitness in the 2nd half allowing them to pull away. Both clubs I would imagine would be happy with their 1st hit out for the year.

Just a quick summary of the Caloundra v Coomera practise match viewed through panther glasses. Scoreline CAL 10; 14 to Coom 5;3 . Caloundra would have 9 to 10 players out that may be considered in our best 22 that didn't play.We had 10 of our under 18s play, with bottom age 18s such as Tom Patton ,James Barnes and Gareth Hunt having very good games. As for the game itself very scrappy affair ,with Caloundras fitness in the 2nd half allowing them to pull away. Both clubs I would imagine would be happy with their 1st hit out for the year.

Now that sounds like a much more objective summary North st!! Good to hear a few of the young fellas played. Is the way of the world up this way for sure. All those boys are good kids.

Cross conference games scrapped , so back to 16 games down from 18 , IMO season is still to short , and yet you have 5 Bye weekends now that take into account , Easter break Rep footy and the Comp Bye , I am going on a bit of a rant here , but Alex have 3 byes in the last 7 weeks of the season ? Once again the small minds who run this comp are overpaid and under doing their jobs , round 1 is 3 weeks away and we are changing fixtures now , why? They had 5 months to sort it and still can't get it right!!! I bet you can't find another comp in the country where you have 16 games and 5 byes it's a joke ! Not that AFLQ would be concerned they are too worried about the NEAFL and QAFL restructure. Anyone else have any thoughts on this ?

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 QFA Southern Conference

Remove this Banner Ad

Back