Mega Thread 2014 Swans Board National and Rookie Draft Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

C Hislop numbers were impressive , will be picked up via the rookie surely

Another Tasmanian Tom Hislop was drafted at pick 20 in 2006...he had just as impressive numbers...just saying. Numbers in the Tassie leagues are miles away from AFL ready. You get the odd one, but it is a massive gamble. I would rather go for a few VFL prospects than gambling on Tassie players.

I hope we look at Matthew Panos as a tall midfielder though.

Another Tasmanian Tom Hislop was drafted at pick 20 in 2006...he had just as impressive numbers...just saying. Numbers in the Tassie leagues are miles away from AFL ready. You get the odd one, but it is a massive gamble. I would rather go for a few VFL prospects than gambling on Tassie players.

I hope we look at Matthew Panos as a tall midfielder though.

I don't think he's a need - I don't think there is any type of midfielder we are missing at this point...... but, find me a back flanker who can kick and we're cooking with gas. I'd also be looking for an AJ back up in case (heaven forbid) he doesn't make it back

I don't think he's a need - I don't think there is any type of midfielder we are missing at this point...... but, find me a back flanker who can kick and we're cooking with gas. I'd also be looking for an AJ back up in case (heaven forbid) he doesn't make it back

I would rather target a KPD, we have Jones who can play that HBF if need be. That said if we can get an elite kick absolutely go for it.

Has Jones got highly rated foot skills, I haven't seen enough to make a judgement.

Was one of his strengths pre draft- that and his toughness so eventually he will be a midfielder but he can play across HB if need be I would say.

According to Emma Quayle* we've committed to take academy player Jordan Foote (184cm midfielder) as a rookie and the Hun** reports we are interested in Frankston's Nic Newman.

Newman won the Fothergill-Round medallion this year for the best U-23 player in the AFL. (Towers won it in 2012).
Newman is a 21yo running 188cm HB flanker.

I'd be surprised if we took both Blayne Wilson and Newman.
Wilson of course is training with us, I haven't seen Newman listed as training with any club.
As an aside, the coaching staff must really not have rated Biggs or Dick.

And in the spirit of what we do need as cover on the rookie list can I just say again;
Mathew Warnock, Mathew Warnock, Mathew Warnock, Mathew Warnock, Mathew Warnock, Mathew Warnock.

Commentary on Newman after winning the Fothergill-Round medal;
http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-118-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=31089947
(Newman) had a standout second season in the VFL playing all 17 games for the Dolphins and averaging 23 disposals and seven marks a game.

“Nick is a natural footballer. Last year he would zone off his man and we’ve worked with him about being on his opponent’s case,” (Frankston coach) Goosey said.

“He reads the play well, he’s a good mark and he sets up a lot of the play for us. He’s got football smarts.”

*http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ole-preseason-draft-pick-20141201-11xwas.html
**http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-by-rookie-draft/story-fngeflq8-1227141246763

Last edited:
See Newman play a bit ( most of my mates play at Frankston ).
Kicks a little like M Suckling , pretty good kick at times and pretty strong overhead.
Not the quickest bloke but reads the play well and intercepts.
Trying to replace a Malceski like player imo.
Even though he is 188cm he is not a Laidler like player , as mentioned he is a Hibberd , suckling type at vfl level
A little surprised , more so if we take him and Wilson

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim Mitchell tweets we are 'into' a couple of Calder Cannons players. Didn't mention who and I have no idea who. Anyone got any ideas?

I'd take Panos as one of our rookies. Worth a shot.
Everyone keeps saying Panos, isn't he an inside mid? Do we need this kind of player?

Just looked at AFL.com story on Panos and apparently we are one of the clubs into him.

Last edited:
Everyone keeps saying Panos, isn't he an inside mid? Do we need this kind of player?

Just looked at AFL.com story on Panos and apparently we are one of the clubs into him.

Big bodied mid but used to be a forward. Tall mid, good foot skill but not ultra quick.

I've said it before but I'd hope our recruiters have had a look at Oleg Markov in the rookie draft.

Maybe but I would rather others or ones that are hidden diamonds not sure Markov is any better than a C grader

Remove this Banner Ad

Back