List Mgmt. 2015 DRAFT discussion - Clayton Oliver #4, Sam Weideman #10, Mitch King #42, Liam Hulett #46

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really not sure what to make of this draft class yet, at least the top 10 anyway. The talls seem a bit meh. Like they are good, but not perfect. I guess that's true every year.

Curnow might fit us well, especially if Howe leaves and we need that 3rd tall forward option.

Mainly though I'm not overly impressed by the mids. We need speed and skill but I don't want to spend a top 10 pick on a sub 180cm type to get it!

I'm all for stocking up with another just good solid midfield type but again without the 188cm+ height, speed, skill or really good natural forward ability I'm a bit sceptical.

A bolter might be the right call for us this year.

So long as they have a bit of mongrel and no fear in them like CS I'm all for it.

Predominately outside players have scarred me for life though, especially with early picks.

I was thinking about Dom over the weekend and the form he has been in this year (played his best game of the year vs Geelong but thats not saying much), maybe a release to half back to be a ball user could serve him and the team well. When on, he is a very good and damaging kick and it would also help him work on some defensive traits rather than just hunting the football always as well.
I wouldn't panic yet with Tyson. The injury must've affected him and since he's come back in to the side Jones, Viney and Vince are taking a good chunk of centre square minutes and Brayshaw and others are going through there. He's probably adapting to some time at half forward and I'm willing to give him a while more after the bye to see if he really starts to accumulate the footy again, use it well and hit the scoreboard. Moving to the backline might be an option at some stage as a learning tool but right now I think he's best to keep fighting through the midfield/forward rotation.

I really don't see tyson as that good of a kick, he regularly chooses a far too difficult option , generally a 50m pass that sits too high
He is a neat kick but I wouldn't say he is particularly damaging
Good kick, bad decision maker. It's a common MFC problem.

Tyson's form has been steady over the past two weeks. Not 2014 good, sure, but we maybe forgot that he's not actually meant to be our best player yet. Still only 22. Give him the rest of this season to just play footy with more midfield support (Jones, Vince, Vandenberg, Brayshaw, Toumpas) and next year he'll be better for it, I'm sure.

Tyson's form has been steady over the past two weeks. Not 2014 good, sure, but we maybe forgot that he's not actually meant to be our best player yet. Still only 22. Give him the rest of this season to just play footy with more midfield support (Jones, Vince, Vandenberg, Brayshaw, Toumpas) and next year he'll be better for it, I'm sure.

Yeah he just stuffs up with really attacking kicks over a long distance , but I'm sure as he matures he will fix that

I think he is carrying something still because he seems pre occupied on the field, like not as clear of mind as he was last year

I really don't see tyson as that good of a kick, he regularly chooses a far too difficult option , generally a 50m pass that sits too high
He is a neat kick but I wouldn't say he is particularly damaging
I agree. He looks like a beautiful kick, as he has a nice smooth action like most left footers, but he doesn't appear to know where they are going. Even from stop plays which isn't great.

I agree. He looks like a beautiful kick, as he has a nice smooth action like most left footers, but he doesn't appear to know where they are going. Even from stop plays which isn't great.

I think he regularly takes his first option when kicking and he tries to be creative, he just hasnt learned risk v reward yet, at the same time I'm not really critisizing him becuase you like that he is trying to open up the field

Well, before the Geelong game i cant say i had a lot of faith in Gawn and Spencer, but now i do! I think the emergence of those two and the ability they portrayed shows us that we have two ready made big men on our list that can play in the ruck, fill a hole in defence, and kick a goal. Contested marking was amazing. I think we need another quality midfielder and another solid defender. Probably a damaging runner from half back that can link up through the midfield. A goal kicking midfielder would be perfect for Melbourne, and i'd be prepared to trade for him.

It would be good if we could get Jack Lovett and Kieran Lovell down later in the draft. Both nuggety midfielders with big tanks. Lovell got 42 disposals for Tasmania the other day however he is only 175cm tall.

175cm tall? Hmmmm. Need height as the competition is going to be taller and we need a mid to be able to take contested marks.

So another Brayshaw or Tyson won't help us?

Criteria A and B describe Jack Watts. Criteria C therefore must be "is a competitive beast". There is a strong argument to say that should be criteria A with skills a close second.

Exactly. Watts has sublime skills but lacks intensity and competitiveness. You put that into Watts with his frame and skill level, you've seriously got a gun midfielder with a nasty streak in him.

Yeah he just stuffs up with really attacking kicks over a long distance , but I'm sure as he matures he will fix that

I think he is carrying something still because he seems pre occupied on the field, like not as clear of mind as he was last year

One thing i've noticed with Tyson since he has come back from injury, he disposing of the ball a lot quicker and using the first option more often. Earlier this season he was doing to much and getting caught quite often.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks very handy and loves the contest. We need a mongrel.
He's had some outstanding games in the National carnival. Also dealt a very tough hand. His brother passed away last year very suddenly. Fell ill on the Monday, diagnosed with aggressive cancer and died on the Saturday. Absolutely tragic. He looks to be an absolute gun player but my only concern is that all reports on him mention that he is quite introverted. I think we need extroverts in the Peyracca, ANB, Viney mould. The club needs swagger. We've been timid for a decade. Having said that I'd be still pretty excited to draft Francis. Either him or Mathieson who's an aggro inside mid. Hope we avoid Schache and Weitering.

He's had some outstanding games in the National carnival. Also dealt a very tough hand. His brother passed away last year very suddenly. Fell ill on the Monday, diagnosed with aggressive cancer and died on the Saturday. Absolutely tragic. He looks to be an absolute gun player but my only concern is that all reports on him mention that he is quite introverted. I think we need extroverts in the Peyracca, ANB, Viney mould. The club needs swagger. We've been timid for a decade. Having said that I'd be still pretty excited to draft Francis. Either him or Mathieson who's an aggro inside mid. Hope we avoid Schache and Weitering.

Scarlett was introverted, so was Doull. Plenty of introverted types do very well. Why don't you like Schache and Weitering?

Scarlett was introverted, so was Doull. Plenty of introverted types do very well. Why don't you like Schache and Weitering?
Weitering is a key defender and I think we have this area covered with TMAC, Dunny, Fitz and OMAC. I also wouldn't spend an early first round pick on a key defender.
Schache I think is overrated. He's talk and can kick straight. I don't think his contested marking has been rated that highly nor his aggression/competitiveness. I reckon we continue drafting best available inside mids with our first pick for a year or two yet.

I wouldn't panic yet with Tyson. The injury must've affected him and since he's come back in to the side Jones, Viney and Vince are taking a good chunk of centre square minutes and Brayshaw and others are going through there. He's probably adapting to some time at half forward and I'm willing to give him a while more after the bye to see if he really starts to accumulate the footy again, use it well and hit the scoreboard. Moving to the backline might be an option at some stage as a learning tool but right now I think he's best to keep fighting through the midfield/forward rotation.

No I'm not panicking yet, still one of my favs when he's at his best.

I was just thinking he has the tools to be an outside player for us if he was required to be.

Weitering is a key defender and I think we have this area covered with TMAC, Dunny, Fitz and OMAC. I also wouldn't spend an early first round pick on a key defender.
Schache I think is overrated. He's talk and can kick straight. I don't think his contested marking has been rated that highly nor his aggression/competitiveness. I reckon we continue drafting best available inside mids with our first pick for a year or two yet.

Fair enough, as I have not seen him. Inside mids are key, and I think there is enough evidence with the successful sides to suggest that controlling stoppages through contested possession is critical to ball positive ball movement and ultimately uncontested possession. Defenders could be good though? I think another forward target would be good also, especially if Hogan is not signed yet and Howe being undecided also. Dawes is not old but his knees are not great and he fluffs some easy ones. Be fair to say we would need another key forward and inside mid?

Be fair to say we would need another key forward and inside mid?

Exactly what I'm thinking. :thumbsu:

With such a shallow draft pool this year though, i wouldn't mind if we threw some picks up for trade either.

Exactly what I'm thinking. :thumbsu:

With such a shallow draft pool this year though, i wouldn't mind if we threw some picks up for trade either.

Well if we want to trade draft picks who would be suitable candidates from other clubs? There is obviously Carlisle, but I don't know how he goes up forward, and i Like Dixon myself. Thoughts?

Nah, aim higher with Salem. I see a lot of Luke Hodge in the way he plays so I'm running with that!
Yze led the league in kicks more than once in Buckley's prime. He was the best mid in a decent team, you're either not remembering the younger Yze or getting awfully greedy.

Yze led the league in kicks more than once in Buckley's prime. He was the best mid in a decent team, you're either not remembering the younger Yze or getting awfully greedy.

Kicks like Yze, tough as Hodge. No pressure.

My memory of Yze is probably tainted by his last 2-3 years which were useless. He was an excellent player but I think Hodge is better all-round. And we need to be greedy for a change, it's been ages since we had a superstar player in the team, it's generations since we've had multiple at one time. And I want lots of 'em, dammit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back