List Mgmt. 2015 DRAFT discussion - Clayton Oliver #4, Sam Weideman #10, Mitch King #42, Liam Hulett #46

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 149199

Awesome hair cut

princess-leia_288x288.jpg

Looks more like a young man preparing for baldness to me. I guess with fads the way they are the combover will have its day, too.

I think there will be some great options for us in the 4-8 bracket to choose from at the end of the championships.

Francis, a strong utility from SA, is unlikely to be there - but he has one of the most damaging kicks in the draft, is a great reader of the play and mark... has a lot of mongrel but outside of the contest he doesn't work particularly hard.

Parish, oustide mid VC, will likely be available and would be my pick at the moment - has great skills and endeavor, regularly makes 3-4 efforts in a passage of play and uses his speed to gut run and chase. He's also a very quick decision maker and may be a little too unselfish at times, needs to work on his strength.

Matheison, inside mid VC - will be available, taller mid (188 I think) who is hard as a cats head and has solid skills. Wins inside footy and is desperate for the contest.

Tucker, half back/wing VC - had a down championships relative to his underage year but breaks the lines, is a good defender and kicks well.

Dunkley, midfielder VC - big inside midfielder, skills are rough around the edges but he has missed a lot of footy - inside animal, think Ollie Wines (is a Sydney F/S prospect but that's not a done deal yet).

Collins, KPD VC - good key defender who we could look at if Parish was gone IMO, does everything well, is a great size and has good footskills.

Ah Chee, WA small utility - very clean and exciting player, has great skills and doesn't need much of the ball to impact a game, is inconsistent and I wouldn't look at him until pick 10.

A couple of injured players who could come into calculations.

Curnow and Burton (both key forwards).

I haven't seen anything of Curnow but Burton played at the Championships last year and is a lead up forward who marks well and kicks straight, think Jack Gunston.

Curnow supposedly has a heap of x-factor, hopefully he plays TAC footy later in the year.

The number of talls means this draft is still an unkown, I haven't listed many but some expect the first 20 to have almost 10 talls called out.

Vic Metro seem to have a talent gulf this year - Balic, O'Kearney and Clarke are all nice midfielders who could go to near our 2nd round pick.

Thanks for the rundown. I like the sound of Mathieson but I equally like the sound of Parish. I'm one of the few left on this board not (yet) scared off skinny prospects so long as they have an insatiable competitive appetite. It sounds like Parish isn't scared of the hard work.

Much like last year I think we will try our luck bidding on hopper and mills from the GWS and Sydney academy's, both serious midfielder talents who I would think may just be ahead of parish. Agree with others Francis would be great but just don't see any of those top 3 players slipping through unless Carlton bid on an academy player successfully. I think the picks from 4-10 are better than last year anyway.

Thanks for the rundown. I like the sound of Mathieson but I equally like the sound of Parish. I'm one of the few left on this board not (yet) scared off skinny prospects so long as they have an insatiable competitive appetite. It sounds like Parish isn't scared of the hard work.

Definitely does - he works hard inside and outside, I think he's the quickest decision makee in the draft too.

I'm a bit gunshy on the skinny kids too after all of our busts, and seeing the impact of Wines, Brayshaw early in their career. The flip side is I'd be very way about drafting a Boyd or Patton with a high pick because they are so more physically mature than their opponents. That advantage evaporates once they hit AFL. I'm keen on Francis, Mathieson, Parish or Balic. Mathieson is not overly big but he's ferocious. You know that will stay in his game and he'll put size on once he's in the system. Balic is another Sandy Dragon with a bball background. Meant to be tough with a nice dose of X factor. I think he'd have lots of upside. Would be a steal with our second round pick. Would be happy enough taking him with our first pick.

The top 3 looks like Francis, Schache and Weitering, that really leaving the best mids in the next selections.

Parish, Mathieson and Parrington I can't really split so picks 4-7 we should be able to nab one of them. With picking up young inside ball winners Viney, Brayshaw, Tyson and Petracca lately, I like Parrington as an outside mid, he can break the line delivering the ball inside 50 and can kick goals which we lack from the midfield, he also had decent clearance numbers and tackle numbers from the u18 champs.

Averaged 24 disposals, 3.2 tackles and 4 clearences.

The top 3 looks like Francis, Schache and Weitering, that really leaving the best mids in the next selections.

Parish, Mathieson and Parrington I can't really split so picks 4-7 we should be able to nab one of them. With picking up young inside ball winners Viney, Brayshaw, Tyson and Petracca lately, I like Parrington as an outside mid, he can break the line delivering the ball inside 50 and can kick goals which we lack from the midfield, he also had decent clearance numbers and tackle numbers from the u18 champs.

Being an outside mid is he one of those light on types who may take a year or two to fill out to be AFL ready or is he built like he could potentially play some games in the first year?

My worry is his kicking is average and decision making average - can win inside ball but top 10 may be a slight reach.

Being an outside mid is he one of those light on types who may take a year or two to fill out to be AFL ready or is he built like he could potentially play some games in the first year?
Not 100% sure, 183cm 75kg, can also play forward so may not be midfield ready but would think he could play roles similar to what Stretch and Neal-Bullen have been playing for us recently.
My worry is his kicking is average and decision making average - can win inside ball but top 10 may be a slight reach.
Yeah fair call, I just think he's the most damaging mid with goal kicking and getting the ball inside 50 which the club lacks at the moment, Matheison the best bet to make it with little risk but with Viney, Brayshaw, Tyson and Petracca as inside ball winners I'm not sure how they'll all play together, we need guys running past getting the ball forward.

We may get a look at Weitering or Schache yet. heck. One game ahead of the Blues and two games ahead of a new GCS. If we finish bottom two ill be leading the chorus for s priority pick.

We may get a look at Weitering or Schache yet. heck. One game ahead of the Blues and two games ahead of a new GCS. If we finish bottom two ill be leading the chorus for s priority pick.

Carlton have the hardest draw left and Saints (1 above us) have the 3rd hardest.

We have three winnable games the next 3 weeks - 2 out of 3 would see us avoid bottom four IMO.

Carlton have the hardest draw left and Saints (1 above us) have the 3rd hardest.

We have three winnable games the next 3 weeks - 2 out of 3 would see us avoid bottom four IMO.

We have been winning or competitive (for a half at least) against all the sides who aren't a premiership threat this year.

The only way we are in the bottom 4 is if we continue getting injuries to best 22 players.

We have been winning or competitive (for a half at least) against all the sides who aren't a premiership threat this year.

The only way we are in the bottom 4 is if we continue getting injuries to best 22 players.
Gotta know - are you one of those strange people that becomes steadily more cheerful and rational over a period of steady drinking? At the time you posted this I was chewing the walls and goal kicking the cats.

I'm veering towards picking an outside mid with really neat, disciplined skills either built in or well on the way. Melbourne have this weird tendency under pressure to have too many players attempt a solution by charging around like young bull elephants for 3 quarters, getting shagged out by the fourth. And resorting to a methodology involving sky bombs to nowhere or a heavily contested area. I want efficient kicking - some neat, reliable darts going forward and great hands. If one of the guys suggested is or could be that guy, then I say go after that guy.

(Edit: I want some genuine toughness and grunt from this guy)

(Another Edit: I think I might be describing Brayshaw now that I think about it)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus that guy gives me PTSD.

I think we still go for more grunt. You really can't have enough.

He's not soft so don't be too fooled by his baby face. He is on the smal side, but you really need good link up runners in a quality midfield.

Problem with grunt in this draft is that the only ones who are worthy of a top 5 pick, are all attached to Sydney and GWS via academy or father-son (Hopper, Mills, Dunkley).

I've followed the draft pool pretty closely this year and have a couple of solid connections with some people in the know. It's highly likely that best available at our first pick will be a midfielder.

For the first round, I have liked Darcy Parish, but if we finish above the Bombers I suspect they'll grab him. He looks really good at U18 level, but we've had fail on us before. What I'm trying to get at is that he's good but not great. He's a solid ball winner but not a beast. A nice kick, but not an elite one. The trend these days is for big-bodied midfielders but he only weighs 73kg atm and would take time. Don't get me wrong, he'd still become a best 22 player in time, but with a top 5 pick I'd want someone who's going to be a star of the competition.

I would love one of the two Sydney-bound prospects though, especially Mills. If the Swans match, we just make Swans pay more. If not, we get ourselves a gun mid.

Partington I would say is in a similar boat to Parish, although probably a bit more outside.

Mathieson I like the most as he has a lot of mongrel and he could make an instant impact except he is an inside midfielder when we probably need someone a bit more outside.

As for later picks I like the looks of Matthew Nunn (SA) and Kieran Lovell (TAS). Two to keep an eye on perhaps.

I've followed the draft pool pretty closely this year and have a couple of solid connections with some people in the know. It's highly likely that best available at our first pick will be a midfielder.

For the first round, I have liked Darcy Parish, but if we finish above the Bombers I suspect they'll grab him. He looks really good at U18 level, but we've had fail on us before. What I'm trying to get at is that he's good but not great. He's a solid ball winner but not a beast. A nice kick, but not an elite one. The trend these days is for big-bodied midfielders but he only weighs 73kg atm and would take time. Don't get me wrong, he'd still become a best 22 player in time, but with a top 5 pick I'd want someone who's going to be a star of the competition.

I would love one of the two Sydney-bound prospects though, especially Mills. If the Swans match, we just make Swans pay more. If not, we get ourselves a gun mid.

Partington I would say is in a similar boat to Parish, although probably a bit more outside.

Mathieson I like the most as he has a lot of mongrel and he could make an instant impact except he is an inside midfielder when we probably need someone a bit more outside.

As for later picks I like the looks of Matthew Nunn (SA) and Kieran Lovell (TAS). Two to keep an eye on perhaps.

What are your thoughts on Aaron Francis?

My thoughts are, he has two first names.

Also a ranga. If we delist McKenzie, might be a draft priority to maintain the minimum quota.

Do your connections have any thoughts on Balic?

What are your thoughts on Aaron Francis?

He's a jet, absolute gun. Really good reader of the play, runs on half back, takes intercept marks and also has some height (190cm). Only question marks on him are whether he can play in the midfield later, whether he has the game for it. Explosive is definitely a word you'd use to describe him. I know it's early but you'd almost have him as a lock for top 3. We'd have to drop down the ladder to draft him you'd expect.

He's got an elite kick on him too, probably best in the draft, and pushes up the ground to kick goals too. He's a bit like Watts in terms of reading the play and his intercept marking and kicking but with some more mongrel about him also.

A few other things about him.

-as mentioned before, he is quite introverted. A pretty quiet guy and not someone you'd end up making captain
-lost his brother to a freak cancer
-he is a red head so we'd have to get rid of McKenzie as our designated red-head
-if we drafted him he'd be the 5th player we'd picked up from Prince Alfred College in SA since 2009 (Trengove, Tapscott, Viney, Vince)

Do your connections have any thoughts on Balic?

Clean, really clean. Has a lot of poise, really good vision and a top ball user. Given that Sandringham lose most weeks than not, he'd fit right in at Melbourne, plus he's mates with Roosy's son. He could bolt up, as to whether that's to pick 4/5 or not remains to be seen. Again, he's another tall midfielder that are all the rage at the moment. He'd be gone well before our second round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back