List Mgmt. 2015 DRAFT discussion - Clayton Oliver #4, Sam Weideman #10, Mitch King #42, Liam Hulett #46

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd hope he's starting in the firsts. The devs league strikes me as a place where promising careers go to die when they stay there too long. Just going through the motions, no development to be had.

It seems a bit like that. Would it be a better idea if we got rid of the development league and instead players not making the VFL firsts were put into the top local leagues, like the VAFA and EFL?

I imagine the top teams from those leagues could beat VFL development teams?

It seems a bit like that. Would it be a better idea if we got rid of the development league and instead players not making the VFL firsts were put into the top local leagues, like the VAFA and EFL?

I imagine the top teams from those leagues could beat VFL development teams?
Agree. G2B mentions King, but he was a speculative rookie pick who seems to be going the right way but was under no pressure. IIRC, Cook played most of his football in the Devs, and he ended up not gaining any size or smarts and just cruising. Weideman doesn't need to play much AFL for the next year or two, but should be thrown into the VFL. Especially considering there's no real other KPFs there aside from either Pedo or Dawes most weeks.

Agree. G2B mentions King, but he was a speculative rookie pick who seems to be going the right way but was under no pressure. IIRC, Cook played most of his football in the Devs, and he ended up not gaining any size or smarts and just cruising. Weideman doesn't need to play much AFL for the next year or two, but should be thrown into the VFL. Especially considering there's no real other KPFs there aside from either Pedo or Dawes most weeks.

The problem with distributing players out to local leagues is you may feel a loss of connection. However, I think for the players it would be better. Send them to Vermont or Uni Blues or Balwyn, top teams like that, and they don't give a shit if you are on an AFL list or not, you have to earn your spot and respect.

Rising Star will be going to Petracca :cool:. Being pick 4 Oliver will also be too expensive to pick in Supercoach this year (200kish), Petracca on the other hand, first lock in every team.
Will be worth the 200k. As ready made as they come.

The problem with distributing players out to local leagues is you may feel a loss of connection. However, I think for the players it would be better. Send them to Vermont or Uni Blues or Balwyn, top teams like that, and they don't give a shit if you are on an AFL list or not, you have to earn your spot and respect.

They do that up here with the NEAFL. It does indeed cause a bit of a disconnect for the players who are jumping between the two levels and teams. Given there is already a fair bit of it anyway with AFL guys dropping back and playing with guys they'd hardly know, I'm not sure how much benefit another level of it would be for the competition as a whole. Although my biggest gripe with it is that it ruins the traditional "Day at the Local Footy" ... not having a reserves game before the seniors is just weird and diminishes the crowds (although i'd imagine it'd less of a problem with the VFL than with the 100 people at a NEAFL game) ... plus if you're involved in the seniors game, its a nightmare for getting your timing of getting changed and warm ups etc right.

I am going to put my balls on it .. Oliver will grow again .. he just has that look like my 18 yo son .. he was 6'1" then grew again at 18 another two inches and Oliver has that same look.

Our smallest mid now is Viney and he is as hard as a cats head... I think we are the Eagles / Freo / Swans models where all mids are 185cm +

Toup was under 180cm ... now we just hope they reach there potental

Only time will tell if our picks work out to be great players like we all hope they will be. My only concern for us is our midfield leg speed. I think we seem very one paced mid field. All big bodied, tall mids which is a good thing but just not sure how many quick players we have running through there. Most of the top sides have 2-3 guys with genuine leg speed, that's the only thing im a touch worried about.

The big guys we got are all coordinated and look like they know what they are doing. I wouldnt call one of them a 'project', they all look like footballers, none of this BP 'elite outside skills' 'elite beep test' ' top 5.7% inthe draft class over the 10m dash' bullshit, thank christ.

Biggest question i honestly have is Oliver at 4. Probably nothing to even worth worrying about, Tay Tay dont miss on first rounders. :thumbsu:

Draft 2015:

Last edited:
So now focus goes to the 1 spot in the rookie draft... I don't see the point in taking a mature ager, we've bolstered ruck & KPF, so I think maybe a small fwd, outside mid/wing or speculative key defender might be the best way to go.

Anybody with any suggestions?

I've had a look through http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-25/ten-to-watch-in-the-nab-afl-rookie-draft & http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...-draft-lifelines/story-e6frf3e3-1227622457266 and I like the sound of James Parsons, Greg Clarke, Hisham Kerbatieh or Jesse Glass-McCasker. Pretty sure one of the phantom drafts had us taking Parsons at 46 from memory, maybe Brett Anderson's?

I am going to put my balls on it .. Oliver will grow again .. he just has that look like my 18 yo son .. he was 6'1" then grew again at 18 another two inches and Oliver has that same look.

Our smallest mid now is Viney and he is as hard as a cats head... I think we are the Eagles / Freo / Swans models where all mids are 185cm +

Toup was under 180cm ... now we just hope they reach there potental
Toumpas was 183cm.

And by was I mean he still is 183cm. The kid isn't dead, he's just changed clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, he's dead and 179cm - in his footy boots. Geez he played like he was Liberatore's height though. No presence at all. Good luck, Port...
I stood next to Toump in a bar in Adelaide last month and was surprised at how short he was. I'm 180cm and he wasn't any taller. I was on footy trip and about 9hrs into a sesh too. Told him I liked his hat. Was the nicest thing I had to say about him

Forget his bulldozing style, Oliver looks like a ******* freak to me. Is everyone just ignoring the fact that his highlights reel is better than even Petracca's or Brayshaw's?

He'll play R1.
Yeah shit that highlights tape is something else. Tackling is fierce, and there's one part where he tackles, chases up the spilled ball and gets it forward to advantage. Mental.

Never really know until they play games but I'm happy going with a bulldozer midfielder over Parish just for the size difference. From all reports Parish is not soft at all but a small body at AFL level.

We are putting together a brutal midfield with Viney, Jones, AVB, Brayshaw and Oliver and going through there. Roos wants a hard nosed contested team which is great as I've never seen a tough Melbourne side even when we were decent.

Toumpas is 183cm. I'm fairly confident that the club/AFL websites and every other recruiting source aren't lying.

If i could find the clip in the movie Liar Liar I'd use it ... but in lieu of that ...

"I object!"
"On what grounds?"
"It's extremely damaging to my case!"

It's going to be seriously bruising for opposition teams coming up against Brayshaw, Petracca, Oliver, Vandenberg, Salem, Tyson, Viney, Jones, Harmes, Melksham, Bugg, Kent, and Vince. Obviously they won't all fit into the same 22, but even take a few out and it's absolute mongrel in the midfield. They all tackle hard.

Only time will tell if our picks work out to be great players like we all hope they will be. My only concern for us is our midfield leg speed. I think we seem very one paced mid field. All big bodied, tall mids which is a good thing but just not sure how many quick players we have running through there. Most of the top sides have 2-3 guys with genuine leg speed, that's the only thing im a touch worried about.

I agree, although Harmes has a lot of dash, and Viney, Brayshaw and Oliver (and Petracca) look like they have a good initial burst (without huge top-end speed). Ben Kennedy is apparently quite quick too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back