Strategy 2016 Backline

Who should be in our back 6?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like we'll have to fight the good fight ourselves Stan The Caddy not many agree with us with Guthrie :(

image001.gif

When a young player has a dominant break out 12 weeks like Guthrie did in the second half of the season you tend not to play them in a new position the next season.
I have my opinion on the matter and it is somewhat supported by Guthrie himself who talks about spending more time down back.

I'll remain steadfast on this. Paul is more important that Peter. I'm aware and happy to rob Peter to pay Paul.

A good small forward will still do damage on Bews. How I picture the trade off on a typical week
Bews's opponents will score between 1-3 goals, Bews will get 12 disposals and have 2-4 score involvements
Bartel's opponents will score between 1-4 goals, Bartel will get 25 disposals and have 3-8 score involvements

I'm of the opinion that having an additional creative player in the team makes it even easier for our other creative players to "get of the leash".

I see where you coming from but I just don't agree. Like all defenders you could make a decently sized video of Bews stuff ups. It is the a nature of the game goals will be scored, miss kicks happen, Bartels are more memorable since we expect more from him given his achievements.

I agree there is a time and place for Bews I just have him behind Bartel in my rankings
The top small forwards will run rings around Jimmy, he was never real quick even in his 20s let alone now as father time catches up with him.

I'd play Smedts and Bartel as defenders ahead of Bews
Billie maybe but as much as I luv Jimmeh, I just shudder when he's back there. Bews, as raw as he is, has held some pretty well credentialed small forwards to quiet nights.

I get Jimmeh's experience and by no means have him outside the 22, but positionally im not sure down back is where he should spend his time heading towards 300…

GO Catters

Last edited:
Alright, I'll throw in a smokey. I reckon Sam Menagola will be very hard to keep out of this team for long and will end up being the running/attacking/defender we've been looking for since Wojo. Not as quick and I've only seen him once (late night ABC2 viewing), but this bloke has adventure and timing to burn. Hits packs hard, fit as f... and knows the game well. Once they lock him in Kolo, Thurlow, Harry, Hendo, Mackie and Enright, with Gurthrie and Blitz pitch hitting, you've got a very dynamic backline.

Its an interesting call.. Not that I think it will happen BUT….

There is a spot there and I have seen nothing of Menegola… so it could happen. Sounds like what Cowan does also…. Could be a battle royal in the VFL to stake their claims early…

Go Catters

Billei maybe but as much as I luv Jimmeh, I just shudder when he's back there. Bews, as raw as he is, has held some pretty well credentialed small forwards to quiet nights.

I get Jimmeh's experience and by no means have him outside the 22, but positionally im not sure down back is where he should spend his time heading towards 300…

GO Catters
Agreed

I'm not convinced but we have put some time into him,what are the alternatives?

One concern with Bews is that they are now saying that his problem is endurance, but they also said exactly the same thing before last season. And, of course, one key attribute of all successful modern small forwards is their endurance, their ability to simply run defenders off their feet by perpetual motion.

I think Mackie could move to a wing, his form and size would warrant that. Allowing Harry to play HBF in the old Tom Harley role.
My line up. Guthrie Lonergan Kolo
Harry Henderson Enright
Thurlow, Bews and Delaney rotating as 7th.
I think Mackie could move to the bench!

One concern with Bews is that they are now saying that his problem is endurance, but they also said exactly the same thing before last season. And, of course, one key attribute of all successful modern small forwards is their endurance, their ability to simply run defenders off their feet by perpetual motion.

Oddly enough Fred, when I was looking at the game stats for the Bews/Bartel debate I was arguing earlier, stats pointed to Bews actually playing out a pretty healthy %83 of time-on-ground throughout 2015 ... make of that what you will ..

of course TOG isn't the be-all and end-all, especially if a given player is 'running on the spot' in the last quarter - I s'pose you'd need to know their GPS tracking stats to have a clearer view of what kind of endurance a player is producing in-game, but it was still a surprise to me as I'd heard the same things and expected Bews' TOG to be a bit lagging .. I acknowledge that by most reports he did run out of gas toward the end of his 16 games last season, whether that is reflected in TOG/GPS tracking stats or not

I'm not sure that elite endurance is a common attribute among modern small forwards though; in fact at a guess I'd think it would be the opposite, as the smaller creative players with elite endurance tend to move up to the midfield when their bodies are ready to take the knocks.

At a quick glance, Rioli, Ballantyne and Lindsay Thomas all averaged less time on the ground in 2015 than Bews... again, that's nothing definitive, but without GPS tracking stats it's the best I can muster!

If Geelong were not going to play these players they would not have given them new contracts. Besides if you asked GFC officials that count - all of them, I would think, say that Enright, Mackie and Harry had good seasons - and right now we do not have, and it does look like until another season has passed, that any youngster is likely to out perform them over the whole season and in big finals games.

Merit is a lovely concept not employed by those stuck in the past. Just saying...everything is equal at the start of this season I hope!

Not sure, as far as a genuine lock-down small defender - Ruggles perhaps, although I haven't seen a lot of him..
This is not a crazy idea. He is a genuine small lock down defender with pace to link up on the rebound. He's different to all our other defenders...that counts in his favor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is not a crazy idea. He is a genuine small lock down defender with pace to link up on the rebound. He's different to all our other defenders...that counts in his favor.

fair enough, sounds good to me; I have only seen a few glimpses of Ruggles, will take your word for it - healthy competition for spots is vital for a strong showing imo ..

The question is what is a bigger incremental loss. For example having GHS play in the middle or Bews in defense, and the the difference of effectiveness of Guthrie in defense compare to when he plays in the middle. Its not an easy question to answer,

That's a reasonable summation. If for instance Horlin-Smith was going to occupy Guthrie's spot in midfield, especially to help with clearances and contested possessions, it's not necessarily the worst idea.

No GHS? Yet Lang gets a gig in the options NSFB?
Upon request. Not adding any more players.

Especially GHS as he hasn't got a cat in hell's chance of playing defence to quote Geoffrey Boycott.

Upon request. Not adding any more players.

Especially GHS as he hasn't got a cat in hell's chance of playing defence to quote Geoffrey Boycott.

You never know!
Clearly Josh Walker was targeted by the Lions to be a tagger :p

Henderson should be our second picked tall from day 1 after Taylor. I do understand the kolo love, but I don't love him enough for a bloke with under 10 games experience to be a lock best 22
Henderson hasn't played defence in three seasons and only had one good season their. He might not even be able to play anymore. Very uncertain.

Henderson hasn't played defence in three seasons and only had one good season their. He might not even be able to play anymore. Very uncertain.
You don't give up a first round draft pick for a depth player.

I think Lang would be high on the MC's players to consider......he did win best first year player last year.

Are you a fan?

Thought it was his second,...it was Gregson's first. When you think about it Gregson was pretty darn good for a P47.

Last edited:
Well I think you're right meto because he did play one game in 2014.....but I'm sure I read he won best first year player somewhere....

Maybe there's some sort of qualification in place for Lang to win it??????

fair enough, sounds good to me; I have only seen a few glimpses of Ruggles, will take your word for it - healthy competition for spots is vital for a strong showing imo ..

Might be getting carried away by reserves form but Ruggles has the run and carry I want from a small defender, he's a strong body not unlike Bews, I think he'll be elevated sooner than later.

Well I think you're right meto because he did play one game in 2014.....but I'm sure I read he won best first year player somewhere....

Maybe there's some sort of qualification in place for Lang to win it??????

I thought it was best young player award, anyhow he did very well at times and will be a positive I think wherever they play him, defender/defensive mid might see him more involved.

Back