Hot Topic 2016 Leadership Group - Murphy retains Captaincy

Which 5 players will form our Leadership Group?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree.

So if they all retired together our next group of leaders wouldn't have been in the leadership group, wouldn't have attended functions and spoken on behalf of the club, and would have had minimal leadership training. Don't you think a mix would be better?

Just want to point out for the doubters that a certain CJ Judd was vice captain at the Eagles coming into his 3rd season.

The main difference I see is that there is still a tough road ahead of us which could bring about more pressure, however some clubs have 7 man leadership groups. We can certainly afford to have a young gun or two in there.

Not a lot of point having someone in our leadership group who has only played around 20 games, either. Another year for Cripps to concentrate on playing good footy won't hurt anyone.

I think maturity, professionalism and the future are the main factors here. Judd did it, Heppell did it.

We also need someone from the next generation representing the team. That's where the membership is building from, that's where our new found excitement lies. Other clubs are succession planning. Why would we be happy to protect all our youth from being 5th wheel in a leadership group, especially if they want to do it?

At the end of the day though, the playing group gets to vote for its leadership group so I guess we will see where whether they want a mix or not. Absolutely need to see Doc in there, and I'd be hoping for one more from Cripps/Buckley. We definitely need a shake up and we need some 100% committed, never shirk a task on field type players in there, regardless of age.

No doubt we have issues up the pointy end of the leadership group.

Happy enough for MM to toss the coin, with Simpson as the back-up. Doc seems a reasonable choice also.

Considering we are literally at Ground Zero, don't think there is any need to suddenly burden kids, want to see these guys establish themselves, and show leadership on-field, that will naturally happen..............personally prefer experience over exuberance.

The other consideration is that guys WANT to be in the leadership group. Too many times our blokes have been humbled by their appointment.

A bit wishful.

We don't have anyone that can tick all of those boxes...........yet.

You would agree that giving 100% is a non-negotiable? That being able to motivate a close second?

The issue for me is that our current leaders while not terribly well supported, have not had the presence to be able to lift players who are shirking the task. For too long our players have worried about their own games, not the team as a whole. I may give Simmo a pass mark there but I think he's too old to accept the role now.

Last edited:
You would agree that giving 100% is a non-negotiable? That being able to motivate a close second?

The issue for me is that our current leaders while not terribly well supporter, have not had the presence to be able to lift players who are shirking the task. For too long our players have worried about their own games, not the team as a whole. I may give Simmo a pass mark there but I think he's too old to accept the role now.

Agree no doubt.

We all basked in the shining light that was Juddy, yet, too me anyway, it intimidated the other senior players and left the younger ones in awe.

Sometimes that isn't a good thing.

Last edited:
Agree no doubt.

We all basked in the shining light that was Juddy, yet, too me anyway, it intimidated the other senior players and left the younger ones in awe.

Sometimes that isn't a good thing.

Players will stand up, we could have General Cosgrove on our current list and leadership would still be a battle!

Players will stand up, we could have General Cosgrove on our current list and leadership would still be a battle!

What I'm saying is, with 5 at the front, there should have been a trickle down effect across the board............and it just didn't happen.

Murphy played his footy when Juddy was out of the side, and that's about it.

Just sayin'

What I'm saying is, with 5 at the front, there should have been a trickle down effect across the board............and it just didn't happen.

Murphy played his footy when Juddy was out of the side, and that's about it.

Just sayin'

I'd argue that Simmo's leadership improved, Murph a little hit and miss, Gibbs more miss than hit, Henderson .... no idea what the point was in the end.

There are still leaders there that are experienced but have never been particularly vocal on field or inspirational.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heeeeyyyyyy, I'm right here you know...

You know I was setting this up for someone to make a strong denial and a glowing testimony when I posted this ..... 3 hours ago.

Way too soon for Cripps, even just in the leadership group... Nothing to gain, too much to lose...

If he's in the leadership group and he continues to improve and play well, great, wonderful. What's new.
But if for any reason he has a slight dip in form or a couple of bad games, the whole footy world will start to question if the extra pressure is too much for him. There will be speculation on his leadership, his ability to cope with the responsibility etc etc... No kid, even a gun like Cripps, needs that this early in a career.

few leaders though, or we wouldn't be sitting dead last. The reigning B&F winner leads by example.

You shouldn't be confusing 'leadership' with the quality of our playing list, they are two separate issues. We could of had the best leader in the competition last year and we still would have finished down the bottom end.

I didn't include Cripps in my list, mainly because I would love him to get at least another year of just focussing on his footy before he has too much responsibility. I think he could do it now, though, if he was nominated. I had Doc as my 'youth rep', but think Bucks would be a great nomination as a rep for the young'uns.

Way too soon for Cripps, even just in the leadership group... Nothing to gain, too much to lose...

If he's in the leadership group and he continues to improve and play well, great, wonderful. What's new.
But if for any reason he has a slight dip in form or a couple of bad games, the whole footy world will start to question if the extra pressure is too much for him. There will be speculation on his leadership, his ability to cope with the responsibility etc etc... No kid, even a gun like Cripps, needs that this early in a career.

Clubs have leadership groups of 5-7 players. What possible pressure could there be on one of those younger members of the leadership group?

How did he handle pressure with no Judd, no Thomas, no Gibbs, then no Murphy in the midfield last year?

Again, I point to Dyson Heppell who was in the leadership group at 21 and Judd who was vice captain at 20.

If his form dips it will be due to extra attention or injury niggles or lack of midfield support, not because he was feeling the pressure of being part of a leadership succession plan.

We need SOMEONE who represents the next generation, who the younger players will follow into battle, who hasn't been tarnished by mental fragility and who inspires the fans. If we go in with Murphy, Gibbs, Simpson, Rowe and Thomas, we will be the oldest leadership groups in the AFL and I'm not sure that fits our rebuilding ethos.

I hope we aren't too scared to innovate again.

I am not sure I would characterise pushing someone into the leadership too early as innovating.

Reminds me of Melbourne a few years ago with Trengove as captain.

Clubs have leadership groups of 5-7 players. What possible pressure could there be on one of those younger members of the leadership group?

How did he handle pressure with no Judd, no Thomas, no Gibbs, then no Murphy in the midfield last year?

Again, I point to Dyson Heppell who was in the leadership group at 21 and Judd who was vice captain at 20.

If his form dips it will be due to extra attention or injury niggles or lack of midfield support, not because he was feeling the pressure of being part of a leadership succession plan.

We need SOMEONE who represents the next generation, who the younger players will follow into battle, who hasn't been tarnished by mental fragility and who inspires the fans. If we go in with Murphy, Gibbs, Simpson, Rowe and Thomas, we will be the oldest leadership groups in the AFL and I'm not sure that fits our rebuilding ethos.

Sorry ODN, I probably didn't explain myself properly. I don't think the pressure would get to him, and I don't think the responsibility would hinder his form.
I'm talking about the perception of that. I'm saying, if as you said, a dip in form came from injury, more attention, lack of support, the media and the "experts" would ignore those reasons and jump straight to "can't handle the pressure of leadership".... That's where the pressure comes from. The things written and said about him, that's what I'd hate to see inflicted upon him.
You might say, who cares what the media or Luke Darcy think, but the spotlight they would shine on him can't be beneficial.

I think Simpson and Jamison should probably opt out of the leadership group now. Spiritual leaders anyway but Jamo especially is prone to injury.

We made Gibbs part of the leadership group at 18. A little too early but Cripps has a better resume.

I do think Kreuzer should get a shot though.

Don't you think Kreuzer needs to play a full season or doesn't that really matter to much?

Sorry ODN, I probably didn't explain myself properly. I don't think the pressure would get to him, and I don't think the responsibility would hinder his form.
I'm talking about the perception of that. I'm saying, if as you said, a dip in form came from injury, more attention, lack of support, the media and the "experts" would ignore those reasons and jump straight to "can't handle the pressure of leadership".... That's where the pressure comes from. The things written and said about him, that's what I'd hate to see inflicted upon him.
You might say, who cares what the media or Luke Darcy think, but the spotlight they would shine on him can't be beneficial.

I suspect that unless he is 25+ and added to the leadership group for the first time, those things will be speculated on anyway. I really want the next generation of leaders to be preparing for possible captaincy opportunities, not worrying about media sensationalising.

I don't necessarily think he will get in there, and Craig is putting his two cents worth in already, but I'm happy to have the discussion about whether our current leaders are all we need, and about this supposed extra pressure and how it manifests itself.

I am not sure I would characterise pushing someone into the leadership too early as innovating.

Reminds me of Melbourne a few years ago with Trengove as captain.

We are not talking about the captaincy though AA. As I said, what extra pressure do you think would be on the 5th member of a 5 man leadership team? More public appearances, more fan engagement, more geeing up of teammates. Cripps does that anyway.

Cripps or Docherty in our leadership group would not have quarter of the pressure that Trengove had as the face of the club.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Topic 2016 Leadership Group - Murphy retains Captaincy

Back