gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Which players do you think have greater chance in each round of draft to win or come close to 2016 rising star award.

Rd1 Draftee, Jacob Hopper
Rd2 Draftee, Ben Keays
Rd3 Draftee, Rhys Mathieson
R4-7 Draftee, Shane Yarran
Rookie Draftee, Gach Nyuon
Smokie, Jacob Weitering

Last edited:
Which players do you think have greater chance in each round of draft to win or come close to 2016 rising star award.

Rd2 Draftee, Ben Keays
Smokie, Jacob Weitering

Shane Yarran is far from eligible. The bloke is turning 27 next year!

Also with lack of depth in this year's drafts, I have a feeling the 2016 Rising Star winner will be a player drafted in a previous year. If Petracca plays all games, I'd say he very well might have it in the bag!

Rd2 Draftee, Ben Keays
Smokie, Jacob Weitering
How is Weitering a smokie? And Yarran is 27 years old.

Last edited:
What has Langford done to suggest that?
Last season was practically an underage year for him, born a month later and he wouldn't have even been on an AFL list. When played forward, he struggled in holding his ground in 1v1's and was only effective when the ball gam in quick (which it rarely did). As a result of this is he produced a few underwhelming performances. However, near the end of the season he transitioned into the midfield and starred at VFL level and had a solid three quarters against Collingwood late in the season. The only knocks on him were his size and endurance. He performed much better in the time trial this year and has already filled out much of his frame (would be pushing mid-high 80's). Next year he'll be getting a lot of midfield minutes which should mean his performances also increase. I'm more confident in him contending for the the RS than Laverde, that's how highly I rate him.
Very little.
There's a reason your recruiters rated him higher than Goddard, DMac and Lonie.

How is Weitering a smokie? And Yarran is 27 years old.

Ok well R4-7 then ill say Wylie Buzza only because I love the name and Cats good judgement

Smokie for Weitering because think most KKP take bit longer to develop. I'll change my Smokie to David Cunningham only because I know very little about him but I think Bolton and SOS will give him every chance to play senior football next year & taken first round

Insert player from my club here....... He's a certainty to win [insert award name here]... Everyone else's options are duds....

More seriously, McLean or Daniel (haven't checked eligibility here) are the two most likely to feature in the Dogs plans for next year that might feature in the award.

There's a reason your recruiters rated him higher than Goddard, DMac and Lonie.

I'm not saying I don't rate him, but I just believe he's done very little to justify your claim that we would "have to say" he is one of the 3 strongest contenders for the award. I could name a decent number of others who I think are just as good a chance and Goddard would be one of them, having held down CHB for us for the last 3rd of 2015, but every chance to be more ready to do so in 2016. Parish another I'd say has as much chance as Langford.

I note that as of a few days ago Kyle wasn't even in the first 25 in the betting for the award (TAB Sportsbet), so I think that backs up my position.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also with lack of depth in this year's drafts, I have a feeling the 2016 Rising Star winner will be a player drafted in a previous year. If Petracca plays all games, I'd say he very well might have it in the bag!
The reduction in rotations for 2016 will also make it less likely that anyone with only one preseason under their belt will win it, IMO. This year Hogan had had 3 and Cripps two.

Freeman and Acres (both taken first round in 2013 and into their 3rd preseasons) could be smokies for us if they both get through the preseason without incident and play most games next year. Acres came 4th in our time trial the other week and Freeman apparently has epic endurance (to go with his elite speed), so they will possibly be a better chance to be able to handle the demands of reduced rotations than someone who is 18/19yo, with just the one preseason under their belt, and/or questionable endurance, and both are likely to get decent midfield time next year.

Think it could be wide open.

Last edited:
Insert player from my club here....... He's a certainty to win [insert award name here]... Everyone else's options are duds....

More seriously, McLean or Daniel (haven't checked eligibility here) are the two most likely to feature in the Dogs plans for next year that might feature in the award.

Agreed/

Jack Steele a chance

Petracca is a bit overrated. He's coming off an ACL guys! And has to build his tank and has never played against men. He'll do a lot of good and some great things, but I'm not sure he'll be consistent enough. Especially if the supply to him forward isn't there. I'm somewhat hopeful this is the year Melbourne get to stash a high draftee in the VFL for half a year and so we don't see too much of Oliver.

Darcy Moore is a good chance. So is Mills if he cracks the best 22 he'll be consistent.

Steele, Ahern, Hopper and Kennedy are all chances at GWS but it's a matter of which of them can play 22 games. Individually at a bottom 10 team (or bottom 14 team) they'd all play most weeks and be a huge shot. But GWS will likely have to pick between them and probably lean to the guys who did their apprenticeship last year. Though I expect Hopper will be too good to hold back.

Essendon could potentially fit Francis, Parish, Fantasia, Langford and Laverde in the same side, just a matter of how much dead wood they want to chop and how young they want to be.

Looking at the market right now I think the value bet is Corey Ellis at $41. He's got the class Richmond need. He's got versatility in positions. If he gets a spot he'll hold it barring injury and will play consistently and be capable of break out games. Yarran and Townsend shouldn't be too much to push him out.

I'm not saying I don't rate him, but I just believe he's done very little to justify your claim that we would "have to say" he is one of the 3 strongest contenders for the award. I could name a decent number of others who I think are just as good a chance and Goddard would be one of them, having held down CHB for us for the last 3rd of 2015, but every chance to be more ready to do so in 2016. Parish another I'd say has as much chance as Langford.

I note that as of a few days ago Kyle wasn't even in the first 25 in the betting for the award (TAB Sportsbet), so I think that backs up my position.
Tall, goalkicking midfielders are most likely to be noticed. Parish will be nowhere near as good as Langford in 2016, way too skinny. Having Parish at $17 and Langford at $34 is quite ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 Rising Stars Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back