2016 Rising Stars Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Shane Yarran is far from eligible. The bloke is turning 27 next year!

Inb4 Liam Anthony.

Top 10 players most likely to win rising star:
Petracca
Schache
Oliver
Weitering
McCartin
Mills
Francis
Weideman
Hopper
Curnow

A fair list but I'd have to cross out any first year KPPs.

Petracca would probably be the odds on favourite at this point - a (hopefully) mid who should get play time and in his second season.

I'd throw Keays in there if he gets games earlier. Mills might miss out because of having to break into that Sydney midfield.

I wouldn't cross Weitering off that list. Kosi won it in his first year, playing at CHB and Weitering had the 3rd best beep test result at the combine, so he's likely to have the endurance to be able to play out games and the season. As long as he isn't required to play the no.1 role back there it wouldn't shock me if he won it.

You can cross McCartin off the list though, IMO, as he just won't have the required endurance to be able to play that well yet. Will probably need a 3rd preseason before he's ready to contribute really meaningfully and consistently. I'd happily bet on any of Goddard, Freeman, Acres, or Gresham winning it from my club before I'd bet on Paddy winning it.

Which players do you think have greater chance in each round of draft to win or come close to 2016 rising star award.

Rd1 Draftee, Jacob Hopper
Rd2 Draftee, Ben Keays
Rd3 Draftee, Rhys Mathieson
R4-7 Draftee, Shane Yarran
Rookie Draftee, Gach Nyuon
Smokie, Jacob Weitering
Rd1 Jade Gresham
Rd2 Ryan Clarke
Rd3 Rhys Mathieson
Rd4 Buzza
RD Jesse Glass-McCasker

Smokie, Mitch Hibberd

Inb4 Liam Anthony.

A fair list but I'd have to cross out any first year KPPs.

Petracca would probably be the odds on favourite at this point - a (hopefully) mid who should get play time and in his second season.

I'd throw Keays in there if he gets games earlier. Mills might miss out because of having to break into that Sydney midfield.
I put Schache and Weitering in there because those teams are really struggling in those positions so they might play games and we know they have heaps of talent so if they get that game-time they could do really well. Not as big on Laverde as other posters though.
My top 3 would have to be:
Mills
Petracca
Hopper

The Academy players will be ready for AFL because they have been trained in world class facilities and been in the clubs system since they were 13 and 14. Patricia is a really talented player. He has a preseason behind him and is primed to go out there and play some good football.

McLean and Daniel are good shouts for us, I think Hopper or Parish will win it overall, though.

Rd1 Jade Gresham
Rd2 Ryan Clarke
Rd3 Rhys Mathieson
Rd4 Buzza
RD Jesse Glass-McCasker

Smokie, Mitch Hibberd

Jade Gresham looks undersized for me. I think will play 10 games but his body size for first year player won't give him the impact. Same reason I think Weitering won't win it in his first year

Jacob Hopper or Curnow or Clayton Oliver have better chance for me due to their size for the positions they will be playing

Jade Gresham looks undersized for me. I think will play 10 games but his body size for first year player won't give him the impact. Same reason I think Weitering won't win it in his first year

Jacob Hopper or Curnow or Clayton Oliver have better chance for me due to their size for the positions they will be playing
I agree I just wanted to give someone different as everyone wasgoing with hopper. also I'm a huge gresham fan :D

I agree I just wanted to give someone different as everyone wasgoing with hopper. also I'm a huge gresham fan :D

I have a question for you. Who would have been your second and third preference at pick 18 instead of Gresham?

I was doing a lot of reading and few notes and thought that Lovell would have been a very good fit for Saints and my second preference for Stk was Brayden Fiorini.
Jade Gresham was actually my choice for Blues pick 23. But my notes and selections were for were teams are at their current cycle

I have a question for you. Who would have been your second and third preference at pick 18 instead of Gresham?

I was doing a lot of reading and few notes and thought that Lovell would have been a very good fit for Saints and my second preference for Stk was Brayden Fiorini.
Jade Gresham was actually my choice for Blues pick 23. But my notes and selections were for were teams are at their current cycle
I was really keen on Hibberd and if not him then a bonner/clarke. Really surprised they slid so far honestly.

Insert player from my club here....... He's a certainty to win [insert award name here]... Everyone else's options are duds....

More seriously, McLean or Daniel (haven't checked eligibility here) are the two most likely to feature in the Dogs plans for next year that might feature in the award.

What positions do you think Toby McLean and Caleb Daniel will settle at?
Bulldogs are a hard team to read to see which position are players best fits. Bonts is a perfect example who plays behind the ball, Infront of the ball, at the clearances

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was really keen on Hibberd and if not him then a bonner/clarke. Really surprised they slid so far honestly.

Recruiters feed the journos rubbish. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors but we find out soo much on draft night. Tom Doedee, who really saw that?

I thought Kieren Lovell would compliment Dunstan, Stevens, Weller, Billings well at the center square. I think Hawks also saw the excitement and hard work he would bring and why Hawks took him in the first rd. I think Gresham won't slot straight into StK midfield and will play half forward pocket role while can see Lovell playing straight in the midfield

Other hand Gresham just adds scoring pressure and hussell to Blues team. Cripps and Murphy could use another ball winner to take pressure off them. But David Cunningham adds speed and precision which is what Blues also need so happy with that pick aswell.

Recruiters feed the journos rubbish. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors but we find out soo much on draft night. Tom Doedee, who really saw that?

I thought Kieren Lovell would compliment Dunstan, Stevens, Weller, Billings well at the center square. I think Hawks also saw the excitement and hard work he would bring and why Hawks took him in the first rd. I think Gresham won't slot straight into StK midfield and will play half forward pocket role while can see Lovell playing straight in the midfield

Other hand Gresham just adds scoring pressure and hussell to Blues team. Cripps and Murphy could use another ball winner to take pressure off them. But David Cunningham adds speed and precision which is what Blues also need so happy with that pick aswell.
I tend to disagree. I think Gresham will fit into a saints lineup where ideally everyone except the KPPs can rotate through the middle, and in a couple years time I can see our centre square lineup being Dunstan, Steven and Gresham with Freeman and Billings on the wings.

Gresham doesnt just have ball winning ability, he has the ability to use the ball really well and the agility to break out of packs. Something we've needed for a long time now.

If Bailey wins the Rising Star I won't begrudge him. Blues moved on. I don't think Bailey will win it even if was at Blues, I don't even think Weitering will win it
wouldnt count Weitering out. He reads the play like a champion, rarely loses a 1v1, has elite endurance and a killer 60m kick. So long as he isnt the 1st tall defender he may actually surprise a few.

I tend to disagree. I think Gresham will fit into a saints lineup where ideally everyone except the KPPs can rotate through the middle, and in a couple years time I can see our centre square lineup being Dunstan, Steven and Gresham with Freeman and Billings on the wings.

Gresham doesnt just have ball winning ability, he has the ability to use the ball really well and the agility to break out of packs. Something we've needed for a long time now.

I'm looking at my notepad now and my notes were,
StK recruited over last few years from draft
McCartin CHF, Goddard CHB
Billings MID, McKenzie DEF
Lonie FWD, Dunstan MID, Acres MID

I think that Billings is similar to Gresham type and to some degree maybe Lonie in time can be. Billings will be a star that will push into the middle and a player like Lovell is what StK could use right now. But if you have 2 players like Billings at stk then would be good result

wouldnt count Weitering out. He reads the play like a champion, rarely loses a 1v1, has elite endurance and a killer 60m kick. So long as he isnt the 1st tall defender he may actually surprise a few.

Weitering is a teenager and undersized. Wait till he plays on guys like Roughead and Darling and Tippet and even Tex Walker. Will be outsized. I think will do him good getting the experience but I think in his role won't win it. But won't give up confidence on him either

What positions do you think Toby McLean and Caleb Daniel will settle at?
Bulldogs are a hard team to read to see which position are players best fits. Bonts is a perfect example who plays behind the ball, Infront of the ball, at the clearances
High half forward/outside mid/defensive forward rotating where needed

Check out McLeans last 3 games then he did his shoulder against you lot late in the last quarter, he was getting 15-20 possessions with ease and was linking play up well transitioning from defence to attack.

The kid is class and is massively underrated imo

I put Schache and Weitering in there because those teams are really struggling in those positions so they might play games and we know they have heaps of talent so if they get that game-time they could do really well. Not as big on Laverde as other posters though.
My top 3 would have to be:
Mills
Petracca
Hopper

The Academy players will be ready for AFL because they have been trained in world class facilities and been in the clubs system since they were 13 and 14. Patricia is a really talented player. He has a preseason behind him and is primed to go out there and play some good football.
love the lions but, "world class facilities"o_O. we have been waiting for a new administration and training base for a while now.

Is he any smaller than Lewis Taylor, who won it two years ago? He's also taller and heavier than Jack Lonie and he played 17 games for us this year, so I don't see size being the thing that stops him playing plenty of footy next season.

I'm certainly not expecting him to win it, but if he did I wouldn't be shocked.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 Rising Stars Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back