List Mgmt. 2017 captain - Dayne Beams

Who would you like to be captain in 2017.

• Rockliff

Votes: 16 8.4%
  • Zorko

Votes: 62 32.6%
  • Robinson

Votes: 42 22.1%
  • Beams

Votes: 53 27.9%
  • Rich

Votes: 8 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 9 4.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Zorko's run down tackles will lift the team more if he's captain.

It will only be for a couple of years before players like Keays and Andrews start knocking the door down

Robbo's rags to riches rise has been amazing but I'd be very wary of adding another challenge to the equation and blowing the whole thing. I think he's very content where he is at.

Zorko and Beams: co-captains
Andrews, Cutler, Robbo: vice captains

Then promote Keays in a year or two, and keep and eye on others.

For those wanting Robbo as captain, my only comment would be that he is such a family man I don't think he would want time away from them.

Voted for Beams, hoping he can get on the park this year for an extended run. Seems very likable and fatherhood will do him the world of good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm seriously going Robbo.Huge story.Huge Captain.

This. He put in a mighty effort to get around Aish and make him comfortable as part of trying to make him stay. Family man, found a new leash of life with us which he highly appreciates - will give it all on the field, my vote is for Robbo.

Robbo for me. Had his boof head years and then grew up. Knows the pitfalls, can always talk about his pathway to players that go off the rails (and most will do stupid things at some point) and not just preach.

Also has been a good communicator on the podcast. Able to keep on track and make his points clearly while accepting things others say. Not rocket science but still a demonstration of a skill important in a captain.
Leader on the field with endeavor. Also able to take instruction eg plays whatever role he is assigned to the best of his ability.

The captain isn't always the side's best player.

I hear ya. I think Tom Harley was a prime example. But Dan Rich doesn't come across to me as the Harley type. But he does come across to me as a potential elite player who hasn't lived up to his abilities, so I'd prefer that to be his cross to bear, rather than the captaincy.

captain- Dayne Beams, cool customer who will thrive with the extra responsibility IMO.

leadership group- Dayne Zorko, Daniel Rich, Mitch Robinson, Allen Christensen. the first 3 obvious + Christensen, i watched a bit of pre season training this year and really liked how Allen got involved in educating the younger guys.

leadership apprentices- Harris Andrews, Rhys Matheison, Tom Cutler, Ben Keays, Nick Robertson, Sam Mayes. leadership courses/education.

Robbo18! Would love to hear your opinion on the young players who you think would step up to be the next captain after the current senior group retire. Any players in particular that you rate leadership wise?

Robbo18! Would love to hear your opinion on the young players who you think would step up to be the next captain after the current senior group retire. Any players in particular that you rate leadership wise?
Well in my opinion, these are the characteristics required to be a good leader in sport-

-must be inclusive of everyone
-must have the respect of your peers and management (have earnt it)
-must not expect of others what your not prepared to do yourself
-your conduct in the club must be a reflection of the way you live every other day (doesn't have two different standards)
-MUST be prepared to make the tough call when it's required
-must also be able to show empathy when required

Most of you guys see more of the boys at training and at functions or even at game days and with the above taken into account have some pretty good ideas who fits the mould. Which young men have a positive influence on their peers and can also show strong leadership character.
I see the above qualities in guys like:

Harris Andrews
Nick
Reuben
Tom Cutler
Lewy

I'm talking about potential leaders, not necessarily captains and not specifying a time frame either.
I know it may not be appropriate to mention Nick in there but being his Dad doesn't preclude me from recognising leadership qualities in him.
Hope that's ok.

Last edited:
I hope, Rich, Beams, Zorko, Rockliff, Robinson and Martin all want to be captain. I hope the likes of Mayes, Cutler, Gardiner, Christensen, Close and Bell all want to be elevated to the leadership group. I am pretty confident Schache, Mathieson, Keays and Hipwood will be busting a gut to become leaders for the next group of draftees. I reckon if these guys can build this culture of impeccable behaviour and attitude, we start to move to having our players all striving to be leaders and united in moving our club in the right direction.

The one important trait you don't need as Robbo18! rightly did not include is to be the best player.

A lot of team sports particularly in AFL, captains are often selected because they are the best player, which I don't think one follows the other.

One hopes any captain and particularly the Lions next one is done so because they have the characteristics identified by Robbo18! and live those each and every day.

Well in my opinion, these are the characteristics required to be a good leader in sport-

-your conduct in the club must be a reflection of the way you live every other day (doesn't have two different standards)

Most of you guys see more of the boys at training and at functions or even at game days and with the above taken into account have some pretty good ideas who fits the mould. Which young men have a positive influence on their peers and can also show strong leadership character.
I see the above qualities in guys like:

Harris Andrews
Nick
Reuben
Tom Cutler
Lewy

I'm talking about potential leaders, not necessarily captains and not specifying a time frame either.
I know it may not be appropriate to mention Nick in there but being his Dad doesn't preclude me from recognising leadership qualities in him.
Hope that's ok.

Great to see Cutlers name mentioned. While we're all impressed by his potential, I've always thought his composure in games regardless of the score is always at a high level. Even after kicking a goal he always gives me the impression of "lets keep focused and get the job done" which is important. Thanks for the insight Robbo.

Pretty much everything Rocky isn't from everything we've heard over the last few months.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2017 captain - Dayne Beams

Back