2017 Midprice Madness

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Which mid-pricers are you considering for your starting line up this year ?? Nick Vlastuin, Zak Jones and Jarrod Witts are a couple of left field suggestions I have seen mentioned, to go along with the more obvious ones in say David Swallow and Jaeger O'Meara. There is also a number of other relevant picks which seem underpriced due to a whole host of reasons, including Marc Murphy, Hamish Hartlett, Touk Miller, Chad Wingard, Michael Hibberd, Patrick Ryder and Jarryd Roughead.

So, how wild are you prepared to get with your starting line up this year ?? A lot of sides that finished last year towards the top of the tree took risks with a number of mid-pricers which ended up paying off in spades. Is a complete guns and rookies side too safe these days ?? There seems to be a lot of value available this year. Let's hear it, who are you going to take a punt on and have in your starting 22. Are you willing to risk it to get the biscuit ??

ps. Isaac Heeney doesn't count. Surely he will be in most sides come round 1, barring any disaster.

Being wary this year, last year mid pricers r*ped me (looking at you Sherridan/Lonergan!!!). So this year i am steering clear unless any obvious ones emerges. So far i have 2 in my team, but this may change pending on JLT. Only going to pick a mid pricer with a proven track record of scoring abilities, not one that magically scores tonnes in each JLT game.

It does depend on the interpretation of a mid price player. As Schulzenfest suggests it should be a player ranked between $220K - $500K. With that said, I have quite a few myself - Hibberd/R Murphy (one of them), S Selwood, Swallow, Sandi, Ryder (for obvious strategic reasons), Heeney and Roughy.
As much as I think 7 is probably too many I think they all represent great value for money.

I simply weigh up H2Hs and whoever i think will avg more i go with that considering similar prices.

Eg: If i think 2 midpricers will avg more than a premium and rookie i go with the midpricers.

TBH last year was the midprice year, plenty of good ones and quality at that with which most came with durability.

Wouldve gone pretty well last year with

Johannisen, Docherty

Viney, Gibbs, M.Duncan, S.Ross, L.Hunter, E.Curnow

C.Daniel, A.Hall, Wells, S.Kerridge

All from the start

I think midpricers can work better in RDT than AFL Fantasy. Example is Heeney (I think i can be pretty confident writing a 90 next to his name if playing midfield).

Is 90 a keeper in AFL fantasy? Probably not especially not once guys like Ablett, Gray, D.Martin, Zorko, Barlow are added as forwards throughout the year. You almost need at minimum 95-98 when you include N.Riewoldt, Macrae and Dahlhaus

The forward mid pricers are the ones constantly finding their way in and out of my side on a daily basis (and affecting the strategy of my backline)

Heeney
Wingard
Ryder
Roughead

All 4 have potential to be 90+ averages, but all 4 also have potential to require upgrades and stagnate at current price levels.
Plus Wingard and Ryder having the early bye. Which is really throwing a spanner in the works, that round 9 bye. I keep considering Witts as an option and at one stage thought it would work with Ryder in the forward line, but both have the round 9 bye, and with the other relevant Port and Suns players, just not doable.

Plus Wingard and Ryder having the early bye. Which is really throwing a spanner in the works, that round 9 bye. I keep considering Witts as an option and at one stage thought it would work with Ryder in the forward line, but both have the round 9 bye, and with the other relevant Port and Suns players, just not doable.

Can Witts be traded by rd9 is the conundrum

I think midpricers can work better in RDT than AFL Fantasy. Example is Heeney (I think i can be pretty confident writing a 90 next to his name if playing midfield).

I see it the opposite way due to unlimited vs limited trades. In Fantasy you can just spend all year chasing value, so a midpricer who doesn't work out quite as well as you hoped still isn't a bad pick because they'll make you some cash and you don't lose anything by getting rid of them. In RDT, if a Heeney/Hartlett peaks at 85 or a Marc Murphy peaks at 95, you need to waste a valuable trade to upgrade them.

I see it the opposite way due to unlimited vs limited trades. In Fantasy you can just spend all year chasing value, so a midpricer who doesn't work out quite as well as you hoped still isn't a bad pick because they'll make you some cash and you don't lose anything by getting rid of them. In RDT, if a Heeney/Hartlett peaks at 85 or a Marc Murphy peaks at 95, you need to waste a valuable trade to upgrade them.
Completely agree. Fantasy is the one if you want to take umpteenth risks on midpricers. The unlimited number of trades as well as the fact that prices change every single week from round 1 being the reasons why. Mid-pricers more likely to completely screw your season in RDT.

Motlop is enticing after what Thurlow said about his pre-season this year on DT TALK podcast.

Keeping an eye on him this JLT, especially if he gets the mid time they are saying.

Locked in both forms

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hartlett, Langdon, Watson, O'Meara, Swallow, Sandilands, Roughead are all currently in my team

others i like: M.Murphy, Sheed, Ryder, T.Boyd, Heeney, H.Bennell (if he plays)

Ryder is a tough one for me. He has been in my side from day 1 and rarely moved but at the same time I don't love the pick.

It is more because of ruck cover he is there with the hope for him to drop to F7/R3 floating cover.

Ideally a player his price id only pick if I was expecting 90-95 as the most likely range (with 90 being minimum pass mark and 95 really being the target average) to make it worth it. I see Ryder as most likely 85-92 range based (also more chance of less than that than more) on history. If he gets to tat 90-92 then great pick, if he's 80-85 then its not a great pick unless I need him to cover rucks on a number of occasions.

Its really a matter of roll the dice on the rucks being durable (or if not having longer injures that force a trade rather than 1-2 seekers where cover would be preferred) or playing safe knowing there should be solid cover in case of the need

My current team allows me the $$ to upgrade Ryder to Dahlhaus which makes the team look strong, but I could use this cash elsewhere or may lose some of the surplus on rookie changes depending on options

Forwards: Heeney & Roughead are pretty much locked. Ryder is one that I am watching for the cover to R3 and T. Miller is one that I am watching over the pre-season as I think he can be in the top 6 forwards (Not much value in the premo forwards this year and no must haves).
Midfield: Swallow & O'Meara, that is all.
Defence: Z. Jones but he only comes into consideration if I only select 2 uber premo defenders as opposed to 3.
Rucks: Zilch.

Note: H. Bennell may be a mid season purchase if I can see him for a few games and debuts when I can sideways a fat rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 Midprice Madness

Remove this Banner Ad

Back