2018 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

I once saw Kirin J Callinan at the Northcote Social Club pre-reno. Was incredibly self-aggrandising. I've always found his music to exist as a 'wow this is wacky!' base to promote his 'ha ha, he's dressed up like a chick!' videos and kooky interviews. He is nowhere near as funny or unique as he thinks he is as it's basically a step away from dick jokes... actually not even, they basically all are dick jokes. Another example of the world thinking being funny is the same as trying to be funny.

I also smoked synthetic marijuana that night and had fun for about three minutes before sitting in my bed in the dark with a cocaine heart rate sweating bullets thinking I was going to die. Pretty slacker bro.
Nah, I like his music first.

Both his albums have been genuinely really good. Not that he's a fantastic source, but The Needle Drop has enjoyed both of his albums and probably hasn't been exposed to his humour in the same way Australians have.

I do find him amusing, but his music would be good regardless. Particularly enjoy this video:

First Aid Kit - Ruins is the first great album this year that I have heard. It can be very easy to be boring and middle of the road with their style, but they always keep it interesting. Beautiful harmonies.

Due to the subject matter in the lyrics I know alot of people are going to dislike this track but I personally think it's great.

Didn't see myself liking a Black Eyed Peas song in 2018 (or liking many Black Eyed Peas tunes ever), but this is an absolute tune. One of the best things that they have ever put out.

Again, took me a while to really get into the single, but officially on the hype train. The 2 singles for their last album were better, but they were also the best songs on that album, and it was a fantastic album, so I'm still highly optimistic for this one.

James Blake's new single is also pretty great:

I gotta lotta time for sandy alex g after Laneway.
His last album was great. Proud is such a tune. Did he put on a great set?

Heard he often puts on a weird (not in a bad way, though) live show. Probably one of the acts I'm most keen for.

His last album was great. Proud is such a tune. Did he put on a great set?

Heard he often puts on a weird (not in a bad way, though) live show. Probably one of the acts I'm most keen for.

It was the dude's birthday, but he was pretty unfazed by it all. Hadn't heard Rocket before, but I dug the shit out of what I heard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My mate is a huge Alex G fan so I went with him to his show at Howler on Thursday and had a fantastic time, and then saw him again at Laneway. Guilty was an awesome closer, and it was laugh hearing him tuning his keyboard with his voice sampled into it.

Laneway was a great time all round, enjoyed the day much more this year than last. Although the main stage is still trash. You’re a tiny bit late and you’re stuck 200 metres from the stage, like yeah, I get that it’s a ‘Laneway’ and it looks cool in photo but it still sucks.

Anyone that's been to Laneway got any recommendations on who to see? The key ones for me are Alex Cameron, Alex G, Pond and The War On Drugs. Anderson Paak and Slowdive are clashing which is a bit of a bummer. Leaning towards Paak, but may switch halfway through depending how I feel.

There's a 35 minute period where Wolf Alice are the only decent act playing - are they worth seeing, or should I use that time to get something to eat?

Any must-see acts I've missed? My mate told me Wiki is pretty good, but curiosity has me leaning toward Father John Misty who performs in the same time slot.

My mate is a huge Alex G fan so I went with him to his show at Howler on Thursday and had a fantastic time, and then saw him again at Laneway. Guilty was an awesome closer, and it was laugh hearing him tuning his keyboard with his voice sampled into it.

Laneway was a great time all round, enjoyed the day much more this year than last. Although the main stage is still trash. You’re a tiny bit late and you’re stuck 200 metres from the stage, like yeah, I get that it’s a ‘Laneway’ and it looks cool in photo but it still sucks.
Guilty is such a tune. Guilty and Proud were my favourites from his last album. Didn't get nearly enough credit, such a good closer.

Any must-see acts I've missed? My mate told me Wiki is pretty good, but curiosity has me leaning toward Father John Misty who performs in the same time slot.
Not a huge FJM fan but he's awesome live.

I also smoked synthetic marijuana that night and had fun for about three minutes before sitting in my bed in the dark with a cocaine heart rate sweating bullets thinking I was going to die.
Friend of mine actually did die after smoking synthetic marijuana. Heart attack, early 30's. She was being drug tested at work, so no real buds for her :( :( :(.

That synthetic stuff is pure evil- stick to the real shit! :D

Last edited:
Not a huge FJM fan but he's awesome live.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Not super into his studio stuff, but by all reports, at the very least he puts on an interesting live show.

Is Anderson. Paak actually any good?

Heard a lot of people are keen on him but they seem like the sorts who'd say Chance The Rapper is some all-time act (I like Chance but you know, his fans go way OTT – as do most rap fans) but then a lot said they barely knew his material and he put on an awesome show. Is he worth getting into? Or is he more silky production, average flow, not that good lyricism?

Also any other Laneway acts I should check out? Aside from Mac DeMarco, Wolf Alice, Loyle Carner, Slowdive, Rolling Blackouts CF?

Is Anderson. Paak actually any good?

Heard a lot of people are keen on him but they seem like the sorts who'd say Chance The Rapper is some all-time act (I like Chance but you know, his fans go way OTT – as do most rap fans) but then a lot said they barely knew his material and he put on an awesome show. Is he worth getting into? Or is he more silky production, average flow, not that good lyricism?

Also any other Laneway acts I should check out? Aside from Mac DeMarco, Wolf Alice, Loyle Carner, Slowdive, Rolling Blackouts CF?
I guess just listen to him and formulate your own opinion. I personally think he is fantastic, Malibu was in my top 5 albums in 2016 and the NxWorries stuff wasn't far behind. I liked him a lot live, high energy, great songs. It did suffer a bit with the Melbourne main stage bottleneck but that's hardly his fault

RBCF were one of my personal highlights, brilliant band. I missed Mac as he played the same time as Slowdive but he was great last time. No regrets seing Slowdive though, they were awesome.

Wolf Alice I enjoyed more than I expected, they stuck more to their heavier, higher energy stuff. My own personal highlight though was the war on drugs, I thought they were tremendous

I wanted to like Moses Sumney and imagined some sort of brass-rock mix but he's just boring and sort of brooding and orchestral isn't he?

The 2016 NxWorries record had some absolute tunes. I enjoyed it even more than Malibu. Lyk Dis and Get Bigger have stuck with me. So good.

Most of the day at Laneway will be pretty straightforward. Brisbane's set times were certainly a lot friendlier than most other states. Slowdive and Paak will be the big toss-up for me. May check out half each, or if I'm really enjoying Paak's set, I'll probably just stick around for that. Never been huge on Slowdive anyway, it's more so that I feel like they would be cool to see.

Anyone see The Internet? Their studio stuff is decent without being too great, but apparently they put on a great live show.

The 2016 NxWorries record had some absolute tunes. I enjoyed it even more than Malibu. Lyk Dis and Get Bigger have stuck with me. So good.

Most of the day at Laneway will be pretty straightforward. Brisbane's set times were certainly a lot friendlier than most other states. Slowdive and Paak will be the big toss-up for me. May check out half each, or if I'm really enjoying Paak's set, I'll probably just stick around for that. Never been huge on Slowdive anyway, it's more so that I feel like they would be cool to see.

Anyone see The Internet? Their studio stuff is decent without being too great, but apparently they put on a great live show.
I want to like The Internet but they just aren’t very good. It’s just default, bright sort of Frank Ocean hip hop but every song has the same tempo and vibe. It’s just not very engaging. And live hip hop is generally really bad.

I don’t get Slowdive that much either, definitely seems style over substance but them playing Laneway will end up looking weird in retrospect and I reckon they could call it pretty soon after. They’re just not that good either but I’ll still catch them.

I wanted to like Moses Sumney and imagined some sort of brass-rock mix but he's just boring and sort of brooding and orchestral isn't he?
If he's not clashing with anyone check him out live for a couple of songs. I thought the same about his recorded stuff (albiet I've not listened to it a lot) but it made a lot more sense live

I want to like The Internet but they just aren’t very good. It’s just default, bright sort of Frank Ocean hip hop but every song has the same tempo and vibe. It’s just not very engaging. And live hip hop is generally really bad.

I don’t get Slowdive that much either, definitely seems style over substance but them playing Laneway will end up looking weird in retrospect and I reckon they could call it pretty soon after. They’re just not that good either but I’ll still catch them.
Yeah, I tried The Internet's latest record and felt the same way. Good reading music, but by the time I'd finished the article I was reading, I felt like I'd heard the same song several times over. That being said, they are on at the same time as The Babe Rainbow who were half-decent until they started trying too hard to make music for Triple J, and Wilaris K, who is on a bit too early for me to really enjoy an electronic set, so I'll give them a chance anyway.

I agree with your thoughts on Slowdive. I had a friend that always used to harp on about how great Souvlaki is, but when I eventually checked it out, it was just, like most "great" shoegaze, decent. Their new album was a surprisingly good return, but again, didn't really grip me.

To me, Paak seems like he would put on a generally great, memorable set, whereas Slowdive would be more ticking off a bucket list item that never really existed in the first place.

Laneway does tend to bring out the best in hip-hop artists from my experience. Mick Jenkins was pretty good last year, and apparently Vince Staples absolutely killed it in 2016.

If he's not clashing with anyone check him out live for a couple of songs. I thought the same about his recorded stuff (albiet I've not listened to it a lot) but it made a lot more sense live
Yeah, I could see this being the case. A few years ago Majical Cloudz just about put on the set of the day. Granted, their studio music was always pretty good, but they were just on another level live.

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

Back