Game Day 2019 AFLW Grand Final: Crows are PREMIERS!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
1553948375429.png

It's a slight shame that the AFLW Grand Final is merging with the men's first 2 rounds, and there seems to be little fanfare or acknowledgement by the general footy fans for the achievements of these ladies. More specifically our beloved Crows team (the ladies), have done a remarkable job in their first 3 seasons thus far:

Season 1 - winning the inaugural premiership!

Season 2 - missing out in the Grand Final by half a game and percentage. Erin being the notable absentee for most part of the season with a quad injury.

Season 3 - winning the Semi-Finals in a first ever conference system and Semi-Final system. Onto another Grand Final, and the result shall await in another half a day or so.

Here's a little video teaser of our inaugural season to get fans into the spirit of AFLW: "Lasting Impression: The Story of AFLW Season 2017"

This 2019 season, everyone has lifted their game. In fact, the whole AFLW competition have lifted, and women's footy have been increasingly enjoyable to watch with more skills and better structures on display than ever before. This Grand Final is basically the ultimate match between this year's top 2 Conference teams.

Form Guide
Crows
are the in-form team for essentially the entire season, losing only their first game to the Bulldogs whilst kicking an atrocious score of 1.11 ! Thankfully, the girls had regrouped and have won their last 7 games straight, including the Carlton match in round 2.

Blues have been a bit shaky in their first month, winning only 1 match of their first 4 rounds (losing to Crows, Kangaroos and Cats). However, like the Crows they have shown a willingness to correct their wrongs and have won their last 4 games straight, trouncing Freo in the Semi Final by 36 points.

If our defensive pressure is the way it's been all year, we'll be an unstoppable force.
Carn' you Crow girls!

Can't wait for this match. Slightly nervous, since Carlton are hitting their straps just at the right time, but by all rights we should win.

How good is it to have a grand final here in Adelaide? It might never happen again, it wouldn't be surprising if the AFL eventually make it so that the grand final is always in Melbourne like the men's comp.

Let's bring home the cup for a second time, girls!

Why didn’t they play Saturday afternoon ? Erin Philipps you star!

Presumably concerns over how to fit it around the Port game. I guess they didn't expect us to end up hosting it. They cleared out the afternoon schedule for a Saturday GF.

Similar to how all the prelims were announced, in advance of the season, to be held on Saturday 23rd March, but then ours got moved to March 24 o avoid clashing with our men's team.

Looking forward to this game and a solid crowd. I think the cool weather might keep a few thousand away, anything under 25k will be disappointing, anything over 35k will be a bonus.
I agree with a few remarks about getting to see a GF at Adelaide Oval, (which is why Adelaide United’s win a few years ago was so special), the AFL have already got their half arsed reason to move it to Melbourne in perpetuity, it’s up the the clubs to stand up for themselves.
Enjoy it while you can, Adelaide by 35.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking forward to this game and a solid crowd. I think the cool weather might keep a few thousand away, anything under 25k will be disappointing, anything over 35k will be a bonus.
I agree with a few remarks about getting to see a GF at Adelaide Oval, (which is why Adelaide United’s win a few years ago was so special), the AFL have already got their half arsed reason to move it to Melbourne in perpetuity, it’s up the the clubs to stand up for themselves.
Enjoy it while you can, Adelaide by 35.
I think it'd be around the 20,000 mark. Anything more would be a bonus.

Looks like it'll be a nice cool 19 deg throughout most of the match. Perfect footy condition!

Why are you specifically mentioning EJ?
Have coached her in another sport to a GF win and would be great to see her celebrate an aflw GF win.

Have coached her in another sport to a GF win and would be great to see her celebrate an aflw GF win.
EJ and Racjic have been unbelievable improvers over the past 12 months, crucial roles in either end of the ground. And improving in each round this year it seems! Hope EJ pulls another screamer!

I am so excited
My husband is in the dog house though
He suggested to our Carlton guests they could watch the match on our big outdoor TV with me :(

Go our AFWL team hoping for the win
I was excited in 2017 with our first GF win. This year, the excitement is on another level. Hopefully the bigger crowd and improved skills would make this GF a better spectacle than the previous.

Free public transport to the game? I saw it mentioned earlier in the week but couldn’t see confirmation.

Last week those going to the footy went through 4 or 5 of the barrier at Adelaide station that were open for footy fans. Don't scan your ticket on the train, just follow the queue/crowd at the station.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back