Remove this Banner Ad

B: Hodge, Adams, Gardiner
HB: Witherden, Andrews, Christensen
C: McCluggage, Zorko, Cutler
FOL: Martin, Neale, Berry
HF: Bailey, Hipwood, Rayner
F: Cameron, McStay, O-Mac
INT: Mathieson/Robinson, Taylor, Robertson, Rich

Unlike the last few years, I think the draftees might get relatively few games. I’m still a fan of Allison (despite the disappointment of this year) and hope he is the big improver of 2019.

Neale to finish top 3 in the Brownlow

FB - Hodge Adams Andrews
HB - Witherden Gardiner Christensen
C - Cutler Zorko McCluggage
HF - Taylor McStay Cameron
FF - Rayner Hipwood McCarthy/Robinson
FO - Martin Neale Berry
IN - Robertson Rich Bailey McInerney
Pretty much mine look the same now.. I have Rich on the wing and Cutler bench for the first bounce.
Swap McStay and Hipwood as well.
Be about all I change.

Interesting what happens with our other talls Walker, Eagles, Skinner, Payne, Wooller and Ballenden.. Hope they get more time to develop.
Walker/Eagles hope they get a spot on form or injury to show enough for 2020 contract.

Andrews or even Adams forward might be worth a try depending on who is fit and how McStay goes. Hope it clicks for McStay in 2019 he is nearly there.
Honestly hope Adams and McCarthy are fit and ready to go round 1

Teams won’t bother trying to tag Neale. Doesn’t work. Zorko will continue to be tagged unless McCluggage takes another big step.
true it doesn't work tagging Neale but if you don't hes gonna get 40 disposals and 2 goals instead he only gets 30 disposals and 0.5 goals
its why no one tags freo midfield because both fyfe and Neale are similar in that effect but they do put defensive midfielders

B: Hodge, Andrews, Gardiner
HB: Witherden, Adams, Rich
C: Cutler, Zorko, McCluggage
HF: Taylor, Hipwood, Rayner
F: McInerney, McStay, Cameron
Foll: Martin, Berry, Neale
I/C: Robinson, Christensen, Robertson, Bailey

Walker, McCarthy, Cox, Mathieson could all be Best 22 if form/fitness allows.

Bastinac, Lester, Keays & Allison are depth.

Whilst Skinner, Starcevich & the draftees could still be anything - but will have to perform in NEAFL first you'd expect.

Everyone else is either a project player (Ballenden, Wooler, Smith, Payne, Madden, Fullarton). Or extreme depth (Eagles, Lyons, Hinge) who probably will be delisted at the end of 2019 unless something radical occurs.

It would be awesome to see Cox or Allison push into the best 22 off the half back. Cox in particular made big strides this year despite the lack of senior games, but next year I can see he and Allison really pushing for games as they'll be in their third year.

For all the talk on the trade threads about how we overpaid for Adams and how he doesn't fit a need, he appears in every one of the "Best 22's" posted on here since last night. Not bad for a guy who only cost pick 32 and a lowly future third rounder. Fair to say the only question over him is fitness, not ability or need.

I think Adams would have to push out McStay to work...Or we cant play him, McStay and Oscar, if we are also running Harris and Hipwood, and Walker.

Lachie obviously walks in for Beams, thats a no brainer. McCarthy isnt a walk in 22, but could earn a Round 1 game if he shows it in pre-season. Same with Adams.

Worried for the likes of Wooler, Payne and Skinner though, might not get a real chance at it.

Team after the bye

B. Gardiner Andrews Hinge
HB. Bailey Adams Cox
c. Allison Berry Mclugage
HF Wooler Hipwood Cameron
F. Rayner Big O. McCarthey
R. Martin Neale Zorko

ic Hodge, Robbo(nutter). Richo/christo, mature age mid from draft.

After watching some 2s last season I think a few are a bees dick away from coming on big time especially Woller. Neafl form will be such that we have to pick him. Hinge I could very easily see becoming another Patful and Cox n Allison is more hope than anything else. Some big names out but I think Fages motto will be no perform.........no game .....especially with improving depth. #Witho is injured by the way.

Last edited:
HB: Robertson, Andrews, Witherden
C: Cutler, Berry, McCluggage
F: McCarthy, McStay, Cameron
Foll: Martin, Zorko, Neale
I/C: Robinson, Rich, Bailey, Christensen

Big O an unlucky omission. I expect he will play a lot though - we seem to like having 2 genuine rucks.

Hopeful one of Matho, Cox, Keays and Starce can cement a spot and push past some older guys. Definitely expect Hodge to play less games so I'd love to see Cedric get going.

I'll include the noobies, hoping that get through preseason fighting fit.

My teams a little different.

Hodge Adams Gardiner
Witherden Andrews Christensen

Cutler Mathieson McCluggage
Martin Neale Berry

Rayner Hipwood Zorko
McCarthy McStay Cameron

Int: Robertson, Bailey, Taylor, Robinson

I would love to have one of Cox or Allison on the bench, but they need to step up and really earn it. By the end of the season it felt like Rich had lost his leg, as well as what little pace he had left. There were times where the ball would be handed off to him on the 50, and instead take a ping for goal, he'd look for a 35m pass.

Time for some of the kids to really earn their spots through the magoos if they want a shot at the first team. I'm not so worried about the young KPP's on our list, let them develop at NEAFL level and get their bodies right before throwing them in to the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hodge Adams Gardiner
Witherden Andrews Bundy
Mccluggage Zorko Rich
Cutler Hipwood Robinson
Rayner Mcstay Cameron
Martin Neale Berry
Taylor Robertson Bailey Mccarthy

Would love to see Rich back in the midfield and play cutler up forward more

HB: Robertson, Andrews, Witherden
C: Cutler, Berry, McCluggage
F: McCarthy, McStay, Cameron
Foll: Martin, Zorko, Neale
I/C: Robinson, Rich, Bailey, Christensen

Big O an unlucky omission. I expect he will play a lot though - we seem to like having 2 genuine rucks.

Hopeful one of Matho, Cox, Keays and Starce can cement a spot and push past some older guys. Definitely expect Hodge to play less games so I'd love to see Cedric get going.
Starcevich would balance out the fwd line.

I just cant see big O being left out, maybe in for McStay

Hodge Payne Gardiner
Witho. Adams. Rich

Cutler Berry Hugh
Martin Neale Zorko

Cameron hipwood. Bailey
Taylor Andrews Rayner

Int: mcstay, Mitch r, Christensen, mccarthy

I'm with you, if Payne stays fit in the off season I think he will play, was so close to round 1 last year after his work on Franklin at Burpengary. I'd probably not have Mcstay on the bench if he is not in the starting team and opt instead for a smaller faster player.

I'm with you, if Payne stays fit in the off season I think he will play, was so close to round 1 last year after his work on Franklin at Burpengary. I'd probably not have Mcstay on the bench if he is not in the starting team and opt instead for a smaller faster player.
I hope Payne does play but I am concerned that with our new strategy that we won't be so willing to play newbies like previous years. I think his best chance of playing is coming in for an injury.

B: Walker, Andrews, Witherden
HB: Hodge, Adams, Rich
C: McCluggage, Neale, Raynor
HF: Cameron, Hipwood, Christensen
F: McCarthy, McStay, Taylor
FOLL: Martin, Zorko, Robinson
IC: Robertson, Cutler, Gardiner, Berry

I hope Payne does play but I am concerned that with our new strategy that we won't be so willing to play newbies like previous years. I think his best chance of playing is coming in for an injury.
your right, we are at the point now where players have to force their way in rather than gifted games for 'development'. A great position to be in. I just think Payne is one that can force his way in as I'm not sure McStay is all that guaranteed his spot yet. Adams can go forward he would be a good deep forward option. Very exciting times all round.

Gardiner Adams Andrews
Witherden Walker Rich

McClugg. Zorko Baily
Martin Neale Berry

Cameron Hipwood Rayner
McStay McInerney McCarthy

Robertson, Robinson, Starcevich, Christensen.

B: Darcy Gardiner, Harris Andrews, Luke Hodge
HB: Daniel Rich, Marcus Adams, Alex Witherden
C: Tom Cutler, Dayne Zorko, Hugh McCluggage
HF: Lewis Taylor, Eric Hipwood, Cameron Rayner
F: Charlie Cameron, Daniel McStay, Oscar McInerney
FOLL: Stefan Martin, Lachie Neale, Jarrod Berry
I/C: Lincoln McCarthy, Mitch Robinson, Allen Christensen, Nick Robertson

Copied from AFL.com but I think they have nailed it.

B: Darcy Gardiner, Harris Andrews, Luke Hodge
HB: Daniel Rich, Marcus Adams, Alex Witherden
C: Tom Cutler, Dayne Zorko, Hugh McCluggage
HF: Lewis Taylor, Eric Hipwood, Cameron Rayner
F: Charlie Cameron, Daniel McStay, Oscar McInerney
FOLL: Stefan Martin, Lachie Neale, Jarrod Berry
I/C: Lincoln McCarthy, Mitch Robinson, Allen Christensen, Nick Robertson

Copied from AFL.com but I think they have nailed it.
If we can find another key fwd it is starting to look ok. A lot depends on whether McStay or Walker can take a big step fwd.

I'll have a crack

B: Andrews Gardiner Hodge
HB: Christensen Adams Witherden
C: McCluggage Berry Cutler
HF: Taylor Hipwood Robinson
FF: Rayner McStay Cameron
R: Martin Neale Zorko
Bench: Rich Robertson Bailey Mcinerney
Emergencies: McCarthy Starcevich Walker

I think there are about 14 players who are locks. 8 spots up for grabs.

Can't wait to see the little fellas Zorko and Neale run rings around the opposition midfielders together. Should make a formiddable partnership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2019 Starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back