Training 2020 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Be lucky to play another 15 games in total imo

Technically most of these people are lucky to play just one AFL game.

If Naismith has done his Achilles (I'm not buying it until I see official communications from the club), then I can't see him playing again. If he hasn't there is no reason why he can't be our first choice ruck for the next two years.

Miss Marple, all I see are knobbly knees, scars and tattoos?
View attachment 799702
Legs like that on a racehorse and your going to one place only and its not the racetrack. As well as the weakest looking pair of spindles ever spotted on an AFL Footballer he should bung back Bozo The Clown's Shoes.

Legs like that on a racehorse and your going to one place only and its not the racetrack. As well as the weakest looking pair of spindles ever spotted on an AFL Footballer he should bung back Bozo The Clown's Shoes.
Holy crap. They're the longest, skinniest feet I've ever seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have no other sources of income apart from membership, afl handout, sponsorship, share of match attendance fees. Last time I looked we had net assets of a few $M. We need a leagues club that has high patronage and income from pokies, restaurants and alcohol. Until we do we will always be financially vulnerable. AFL giving the biggest handout ever on tv rights and us having the biggest sponsorships and yet still a loss says it all. Eddie May be an obnoxious weed but he knows the importance of earning property income to financial viability. Read something recently that indicated that Collingwood’s Net Value was $353M and rising. I would suggest a voluntary ‘capital’ levy to supplement memberships $250 pa. If all 62000 members donated then a building fund would quickly build at $15M pa. Something other than an expenditure budget that spends every cent that comes out way.
The trend is for AFL clubs to move away from pokies not to it. But clubs do need additional revenue streams as you suggest.

The trend is for AFL clubs to move away from pokies not to it. But clubs do need additional revenue streams as you suggest.

Not AFL specific but Melbourne Storm are diving back into pokies after previously divesting, claiming it’s a ‘necessary evil’. If sporting clubs are not profiting from them, some other faceless crusty old white guys will be

Not AFL specific but Melbourne Storm are diving back into pokies after previously divesting, claiming it’s a ‘necessary evil’. If sporting clubs are not profiting from them, some other faceless crusty old white guys will be
So it's ok for me to rob the little old lady down the street before someone else does?

I know swans need another source of income but pokies? Come on guys? There are surely better ways that are enjoyable and don’t fuel people’s addictions! The fact other clubs are doing things has never bothered Swans before and I hope we don’t go down this route. When the trendy thing to do a few years ago was to boo Goodes most clubs did it, but 1 or 2 clubs took a stand against it, applauded with us and kept their dignity! As another poster said, do we really want to rob the old lady down the road just because others are doing it and we just wanted to get there first? We are better than that, come on lads, we have class!

Yep the Swans made a loss this year. First in a long time. It may be a simple matter of doing nothing and the books will balance again.
Fitting out the Royal Hall of Industries would have cost a lot of money, most of which would have been spent. Investment in Tramway oval would have cost a lot of cash - money spent last year.
A couple more wins (very likely), a few more members (very likely) and The Swans will be fine.
No desire for pokies, no need for pokies
Good Footy is a better solution

Can't believe there's discussion about our reported "loss". Balance sheets are exercises in accountancy practices and rarely a real reflection of whether you made a "profit" or a "loss". Balance sheets are full of amortisation, write downs, net profit, underlying profit, operating profit, donations, grants, etc.

The club can go from making a "profit" one year to a "loss" the next year but in reality nothing has changed, just some changes in accountancy.

It's why the media releases on finances from each club are never comparing like for like, there's no standard method across the AFL just as there's not in real business. Clubs may announce (particularly clubs that need good news) a decent profit but if it's analysed you see the "profit" was entirely due to a very generous $2 million "donation" from a clubs benefactor, let's call them "Visy" :)

So nothing to see here, it's all smoke and mirrors!

Oh I think mistakes can be made.
However I am not convinced this is one of them.

The logic doesn’t stack up for me. Junior midfielder /= AFL midfielder. If he was a midfield gun, he would be playing there and they would have been forced to find a replacement in defence.

He is becoming a very good defender and is an elite intercept mark / reading the flight. I am more than happy for him to stay in defence and allow others with different qualities (not as one paced) to increase their contributions to the midfield (Florent, Rowbottom, Blakey, Taylor, Grey, Stephens and even Papley in bursts) rather than go for more of the same.

the point is that he is far from an elite defender and is stagnating in the back half

Naismith is basically player 18-22 for us, so yeah I’d be gutted for him personally if true, but there would be many more Swans I’d be more concerned about if they suffered a long-term injury for the sake of our team.

Also if we haven’t learned to cope without a bloke who hasn’t played since 2017 then the entire coaching staff should be sacked on the spot.

He’s going to lead us to a premiership according to some on here

the point is that he is far from an elite defender and is stagnating in the back half

I don’t think a claim of him stagnating stands up to the evidence personally. Unfortunately AFL stats pro is down at the moment but from memory he was one of our best (ahead of Rampe if I recall) for one on one this year, a huge improvement on his earlier years. He took more marks than any other Swans in 2019 (according to footywire) and was 36th in AFL for average marks and 27th for total marks (both of which number one at Swans).

As a defender body on body he has improved immensely, together with his reading of the play and flight of the ball and he is a really valuable asset in defence.

As a midfielder he is one paced. Kennedy, Parker and Hewett are ahead of him and we don’t need another one paced player. We also have Rowbottom to play a role in there.

I’d rather him in defence.

I don’t think a claim of him stagnating stands up to the evidence personally. Unfortunately AFL stats pro is down at the moment but from memory he was one of our best (ahead of Rampe if I recall) for one on one this year, a huge improvement on his earlier years. He took more marks than any other Swans in 2019 (according to footywire) and was 36th in AFL for average marks and 27th for total marks (both of which number one at Swans).

As a defender body on body he has improved immensely, together with his reading of the play and flight of the ball and he is a really valuable asset in defence.

As a midfielder he is one paced. Kennedy, Parker and Hewett are ahead of him and we don’t need another one paced player. We also have Rowbottom to play a role in there.

I’d rather him in defence.

ive said it before, I’ll say it again, you could name 4 All Australian teams and he wouldn’t be in the conversation

Given we haven’t seen him in the midfield so not sure how you can claim those 3 are ahead of him, or that it would be too one paced.

the Hawks 3peat demonstrates that pace isn’t the key criteria for a successful midfield

ive said it before, I’ll say it again, you could name 4 All Australian teams and he wouldn’t be in the conversation

Given we haven’t seen him in the midfield so not sure how you can claim those 3 are ahead of him, or that it would be too one paced.

the Hawks 3peat demonstrates that pace isn’t the key criteria for a successful midfield

Not sure why an AA discussion is relevant. You’re assuming he would automatically be in that discussion if he was in the midfield? Pretty presumptuous I wouldn’t thought.

I can claim they are ahead of him as they are playing midfield and he is playing defence. Again, it is being made out that nobody sees him at training...

Of course the AFL coaches presiding over the team do get to see him at training, in match sims and competing against his peers which for midfield selection includes Kennedy, Parker and Hewett... and have so far decided that he isn’t a midfielder by not playing him there. I am far more comfortable being in line with their current moves with his career given the first hand knowledge and data they are privy to that none of us are.....

I will state this one more time...

If he was a midfield gun, he would be playing there without a shadow of a doubt in my mind. The coaches despite what many think... are not stupid or inept.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2020 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Back