Injury 2021 Injuries

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointed because injuries worse than first thought Ted or disappointed because the club never put out the worst outcome from the start ? As I said before don't know what is worse possible misdiagnosis or bullshit injury timeline announcements. Either way we excel in both.
The former will always be much worse than the latter because it actually matters.

Disappointed because injuries worse than first thought Ted or disappointed because the club never put out the worst outcome from the start ? As I said before don't know what is worse possible misdiagnosis or bullshit injury timeline announcements. Either way we excel in both.
Starting to really get sick of these mystery injuries. Making a habit of it this year. Random injuries suffered the previous game that only show up at selection etc. Now this, mystery injury elongations. And only happen to our most prized players too.

Don’t they get a game day bonus if they play?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Generally I think once you pass your first two seasons (from draft) I think you go onto a salary.

During the first two years you get a set pay that can’t be altered however you get match payments on top of that if you are selected to play seniors.

For senior players they negotiate a salary that’s paid regardless of how many games they play.

Could be wrong but I think that’s how it works for most players. Of course there may be some exceptions.

Generally I think once you pass your first two seasons (from draft) I think you go onto a salary.

During the first two years you get a set pay that can’t be altered however you get match payments on top of that if you are selected to play seniors.

For senior players they negotiate a salary that’s paid regardless of how many games they play.

Could be wrong but I think that’s how it works for most players. Of course there may be some exceptions.

This is pretty much correct. The CBA sets out the amounts each contact 1st and 2nd-year players get based upon where they are drafted. Before COVID and the AFL and AFLPA agreed to salary cuts the base contact was $100,000 for a Top 20 draft pick, $90,000 for Pick 21 to 40 and $80,000 for Picks 41 and below and all these contracts have match payment bonuses per game played capped at a certain amount of games (from memory it's 18 games, could be lower).

Rookie List players are also on set contacts set at the same rate as Pick 41 in the draft regardless of how long they have been listed (some exceptions do apply) and after the 2nd year of the contract, most players go onto a fixed amount only contract as this will give them more certainty in what they will be paid over their contract length. Very few players agree to match payments after their rookie contacts, some players might do it in their final years and if their club isn't close to the cap but it's rare these days because clubs also need as much certainty in their salary cap numbers for future planning.

At the halfway mark I must say we have been lucky with soft tissue injury to date. Most of the injuries are collision caused. Kudos to our new crew. Our old mob had a poor record.

Chronic hamstring injuries?
The article ‘It sounds so basic’: How Tom Trbojevic is keeping his hamstrings healthy
- mentions Trbojevic (ex Sydney Academy player) and Nathan Gibbs (former Sydney Swans medico)

Every week Trbojevic is required to complete around half a dozen sprints at more than 90 per cent intensity. Despite his man-of-the-match performance against the Gold Coast on Sunday, Trbojevic, according to GPS data, didn’t run once at more than 90 per cent of his top speed.
The Manly fullback travelled to Melbourne in pre-season to meet with hamstring expert David Opar and his team at the Australian Catholic University.
While most sports scientists concede high-intensity sprinting is the best way to re-injure a hamstring, Trbojevic was encouraged by Opar to actually sprint more and on a weekly basis. If Trbojevic fails to reach a certain number of high-intensity bursts during a weekend game, ..., he must make up the sprint work at training during the week.
If Trbojevic fails to reach a certain number of high-intensity bursts during a weekend game, which was the case on the Gold Coast, he must make up the sprint work at training during the week.

"The best thing is this program has not only got Tommy back playing and free of injury, it’s also got him playing bloody well.”

I wonder if this part of Lance's routine of regular training?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some good news on the injury update video on the club website today. Reid, Campbell and Melican all only a week or two from playing so they say. Possibly glaring in its omission though, no mention at all of where Warner is at. Possibly just reading too much into it but hope its not another Swans "2 to 4 week injury" that is more serious than first thought.

So Gould is the runner and Ling is out.

Any update on the ressies injury list?
As Gould has been disqualified for a week, should Will be on the ground?
And we have no update on Warner.

Surprised Reid is on the injury list given he played VFL last week

PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN
Braeden Campbell Shin Test
Lewis Melican Achilles 1-2 weeks
Sam Naismith ACL Indefinite
Sam Reid Calf Test
Chad Warner Shin 1 week
Updated: Tuesday, July 13
Early prognosis
A win over the ladder leaders, no new injuries and a host of players nearing a return. It has been a fruitful week for the Swans. Reid and Campbell are now training strongly with the main group and hope to be available for selection this week. Melican's Achilles flared up during his rehab on a hamstring strain but he is back to sprinting in training. Young gun Warner is making steady progress too. - Martin Pegan

Surprised Reid is on the injury list given he played VFL last week

PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN
Braeden CampbellShinTest
Lewis MelicanAchilles1-2 weeks
Sam NaismithACLIndefinite
Sam ReidCalfTest
Chad WarnerShin1 week
Updated: Tuesday, July 13
Early prognosis
A win over the ladder leaders, no new injuries and a host of players nearing a return. It has been a fruitful week for the Swans. Reid and Campbell are now training strongly with the main group and hope to be available for selection this week. Melican's Achilles flared up during his rehab on a hamstring strain but he is back to sprinting in training. Young gun Warner is making steady progress too. - Martin Pegan

I'm never sure that this ever comes directly from the club. It wouldn't surprise me if this is just the AFL.com writers giving their opinion based on what the club has publicly released and if they have nothing else to go on, they'll decrease the estimated return by a week (say, from 2-3 weeks to 1-2 weeks). Wouldn't be a shock to me if the person doing the Swans report was not aware that Reid actually played in the 2's over the weekend.

The Sydney Swans have come through their Round 17 victory over the Western Bulldogs with no serious injuries or concerns.

During the 19-point victory on Sunday afternoon, defender Jake Lloyd was assessed during the game, however, it was a soft tissue contusion which was giving him some knee pain. Lloyd was cleared to return to play without any issues and is expected to be available this weekend.

Forward Sam Reid made a successful return through the VFL on the weekend, playing limited minutes in Sydney’s clash with Footscray. Reid had a busy afternoon, getting through 11km in his return from a calf injury.

Chad Warner continues to progress with his rehab on his injury, training with the team in both running and football drills. Warner is building up to 5-6km, straight line running and change in direction and continues to progress as expected in lower limb stress related injuries.

Lewis Melican and Braeden Campbell both continue to train with the squad and are involved in match play throughout the week. Melican and Campbell are both hopeful of returning from their injuries via the VFL when games become available for the two defenders.

Ruckman Sam Naismith has had his first round of surgery following his ACL injury a fortnight ago. With his second round of surgery planned for the coming months, Naismith continues his recovery, cardiovascular and strength training and rehab program.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back