2023/24 Melbourne Victory Thread - Goodbye Popovic

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh boy, this is gonna be a fun ride what do we think Vuckers?

Watched a lot of Kisnorbo when he managed City (child is a City fan). It will be interesting to see how he goes with Victory. Kisnorbo was the assistant manager at City under Erick Mombaerts for a season and a bit and took over from Mombaerts when Mombaerts resigned in September 2020 to return to France (was probably not too happy being away from Europe in the middle of COVID). City was dire before Mombaerts came and I'd say that Kisnorbo was smart enough to not drastically veer away from Mombaerts' style of play and reaped the rewards. I also think that his familiarity working with a number of the City academy players helped him.

His time in France was a complete disaster. Didn't help that he didn't speak French but he was brought in to try to save Troyes from relegation and they were on course to be relegated a second time when they got rid of him in December.

I'm not sure how well he'll cope being away from under the skirts of the City Football Group. On the plus side, he's had success in Australia before, but he's not going to have the same resources he had at his disposal when he was at City and he's not going to be overly familiar with his squad (which may be a good thing - no preconceived notions on which players he'll keep and which he'll want to move on).

She needs to make money in the off season. And the AFL have indirectly promoted Melbourne Victory by engaging her services. They're clearly trying to drum up a better atmosphere at AFL fixtures. Can't begrudge her of this opportunity.

I just wish she stripped off the Carlton Navy blue jersey to reveal MVFC navy blue underneath and started on a rendition of 7 nation army!!
Of course. I was only messing around. But geez, any other team...

When she finished playing the crowd around me all started singing 'Freed from desire' they all knew where she came from :)

Watched a lot of Kisnorbo when he managed City (child is a City fan). It will be interesting to see how he goes with Victory. Kisnorbo was the assistant manager at City under Erick Mombaerts for a season and a bit and took over from Mombaerts when Mombaerts resigned in September 2020 to return to France (was probably not too happy being away from Europe in the middle of COVID). City was dire before Mombaerts came and I'd say that Kisnorbo was smart enough to not drastically veer away from Mombaerts' style of play and reaped the rewards. I also think that his familiarity working with a number of the City academy players helped him.

His time in France was a complete disaster. Didn't help that he didn't speak French but he was brought in to try to save Troyes from relegation and they were on course to be relegated a second time when they got rid of him in December.

I'm not sure how well he'll cope being away from under the skirts of the City Football Group. On the plus side, he's had success in Australia before, but he's not going to have the same resources he had at his disposal when he was at City and he's not going to be overly familiar with his squad (which may be a good thing - no preconceived notions on which players he'll keep and which he'll want to move on).

He's of Mauritian descent. Surprised he doesn't know French.

I'm quite indifferent. At first I was a little pissed mainly because he coached and played for our cross town rivals not just City Heart as well. But once I stripped off the emotions and looked at it from a football perspective it's really a no brainer. His record in the A-League is up there with some of the best mangers in the league and personally I liked City's style under him (I wouldn't admit it out loud in public at the time) top it off him being a Victorian as well and it's about time Victoy got themselves a Victorian coach and the shoe fits. My only concern is that some parts of our fanbase is a very loud and fickle minority a few loses or a bad streak the calls of being a CFG plant and going after his head will be loud and clear! But nothing any previous Victory coach has had to deal with. I welcome the appointment just don't f*ck my club up!

Have read Izzo may have an overseas opportunity, rumoured to be Randers in Denmark. Have also read that Langerak may be leaving Nagoya and returning to Victory.

If we get a good fee for Paul can't begrudge him that opportunity.

I feel he should be looking at a Championship side though. Not Denmark. Or even a promoted PL side.

If we get a good fee for Paul can't begrudge him that opportunity.

I feel he should be looking at a Championship side though. Not Denmark. Or even a promoted PL side.

Izzo is a good keeper but I don't think he is EPL level. Championship perhaps but that's probably the 5th or 6th best league in the world which may be a stretch. I think a 2nd tier Euro league like Denmark is about right. Although I hope it works out better for Izzo than for Ryan or Thomas if he makes that move.

Izzo is a good keeper but I don't think he is EPL level. Championship perhaps but that's probably the 5th or 6th best league in the world which may be a stretch. I think a 2nd tier Euro league like Denmark is about right. Although I hope it works out better for Izzo than for Ryan or Thomas if he makes that move.

Not sure I see the point in Denmark at his age.

Either make a real leap to a Championship team or stay in the A-League. Denmark is a nothing move career wise.

$2 million min transfer fee to let him go. Maybe more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure I see the point in Denmark at his age.

Either make a real leap to a Championship team or stay in the A-League. Denmark is a nothing move career wise.

$2 million min transfer fee to let him go. Maybe more.

I mean I guess it depends on a few things. The money will be better. It's a cool life experience. It'll push Izzo's claims for the NT too if he plays and performs. Who's to know if there were offers from stronger leagues.

I hadn't really considered the transfer fee but its a good point. It's good business if we get a decent fee and arguably have a better keeper lined up to come in.

I mean I guess it depends on a few things. The money will be better. It's a cool life experience. It'll push Izzo's claims for the NT too if he plays and performs. Who's to know if there were offers from stronger leagues.

I hadn't really considered the transfer fee but its a good point. It's good business if we get a decent fee and arguably have a better keeper lined up to come in.

Langerak while quality would be a downgrade on Izzo for me. Izzos the best keeper in the A League. We shouldn't be parting ways for anything less than a huge fee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back